VOP2288

I'm Bill Pardy...

50 XP

19th August 2004

0 Uploads

640 Posts

0 Threads

#1 11 years ago

I was posting and such on another forum I belong to last night and I came across two seperate threads that I found surprising: one was a thread talking about the political undertones of 300 while the other was saying 300 was a means to demonize and ultimately be a racist film glorifying the white, civilized Greeks against the darker skinned, barbarian-esque, Persian hordes...

So - I thought why not bring this subject over here!

Politically it is argued that more rightist and conservative minded folks have been praising 300 for it's portrayal of honor, duty, and sacrifice in combat and how it's a metaphor for America while more leftist and liberal minded folks have been calling the film a racist and war-mongering film that acts more like a recruiting video than a form of entertainment...

As far as the rascism goes: a user on this forum was immensely offended by the film and its portrayal of "his people" - he being of Middle Eastern decent. He thought that the film was meant to be racist and suggested that Miller himself was nothing but rightist bigot.

Please - discuss your thoughts on ties of racism and politics to the film 300

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#2 11 years ago
VOP2288;3579192I was posting and such on another forum I belong to last night and I came across two seperate threads that I found surprising: one was a thread talking about the political undertones of 300 while the other was saying 300 was a means to demonize and ultimately be a racist film glorifying the white, civilized Greeks against the darker skinned, barbarian-esque, Persian hordes...

Sort of late aren’t you? Isn’t that the trend with most of these films set in archaic time periods. Just look at Lord of the Rings for christs sake, could the opposing sides in that series of films be any more contrasting to one another? This has been happening for ages, and will more then likely continue. It's

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#3 11 years ago
VOP2288;3579192I was posting and such on another forum I belong to last night and I came across two seperate threads that I found surprising: one was a thread talking about the political undertones of 300 while the other was saying 300 was a means to demonize and ultimately be a racist film glorifying the white, civilized Greeks against the darker skinned, barbarian-esque, Persian hordes...

Sort of late aren’t you? Isn’t that the trend with most of these films set in archaic time periods. Just look at Lord of the Rings for christs sake, could the opposing sides in that series of films be any more contrasting to one another? This has been happening for ages, and will more then likely continue.

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

564,590 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,076 Posts

1,325 Threads

#4 11 years ago

People get offended to easily.

The facts are the facts, the Persians tried to enslave half the world. The fact they are of middle eastern decent has nothing to do with it. If a person of middle eastern decent is offended by the movie, then I really dont care.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Joe Bonham

Quetron's alt account

50 XP

10th December 2005

0 Uploads

6,894 Posts

0 Threads

#5 11 years ago
Sedistix;3579202Sort of late aren’t you? Isn’t that the trend with most of these films set in archaic time periods. Just look at Lord of the Rings for christs sake, could the opposing sides in that series of films be any more contrasting to one another?

That's simply making it historically and culturally accurate. The enemies of European civilization have virtually always come from the east; the Huns, Arabs, Mongols... That's not racism, just fact.

This has been happening for ages, and will more then likely continue.

Yeah, unless we have some very extreme continental drift...

VOP2288

I'm Bill Pardy...

50 XP

19th August 2004

0 Uploads

640 Posts

0 Threads

#6 11 years ago

I just think it's a little over the top that the media and people cannot simply look at a movie see it as just that...a movie. It's a movie based on a comic book nonetheless! It isnt supposed to accurately portray both the Spartans and the Persians.

Did you guy see any out of the norm demonization of the Persians?

Fortune

something to believe.

50 XP

19th February 2005

0 Uploads

7,750 Posts

0 Threads

#7 11 years ago

Thats retarded, it was an actual battle, it isn't some kind of "ingeniously arranged lesson for the modern democracies", its a movie... deal with it.

Joe Bonham

Quetron's alt account

50 XP

10th December 2005

0 Uploads

6,894 Posts

0 Threads

#8 11 years ago

I haven't seen it yet. But apparently in the movie they do enlist the aid of some supernatural force to defeat the Spartans.

Actually, from what I've heard, 300 ISN'T politically charged. It doesn't make any lame comparisons to the Iraq war, there are no preachy anti-war sermons, or any of that nonsense. Its just a fun, gory movie.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,579 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,982 Posts

6 Threads

#9 11 years ago

I wouldn't mind this at all if it was an historically accurate depiction, but this movie is the adaption of a graphic novel, if I remember correctly, so I'd treat any political information carefully.

The Spartans were of course a highly nationalist and social-darwinist people, if they'd only add some anti-semitism and propaganda against communists into the mix they'd be the perfect Nazis, so I understand why some people don't like the idea of depicting them as glorious defenders of European culture.

Rich19

Italicised no more

50 XP

14th August 2004

0 Uploads

4,058 Posts

0 Threads

#10 11 years ago

Basically, because it's loosely based on historical facts. If someone made a movie about the gulf war, would it be racist to make the US win in the end? :rolleyes: