SeinfeldisKindaOk

5.56 smoke Haji every day

55 XP

18th July 2008

0 Uploads

8,397 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

6000 is the approximate death count of Mexicans murdered in 2008 as a result of the drug war. Men, women, children. Some were involved and some were just unfortunate. But the point of the thread isn't to lament their deaths. Rather it's to recognize that fretting about the violence and the instability of Mexico is misguided. The situation in Mexico (and the rest of Latin America for that matter) is a result of the daily actions of U.S. citizens, who comprise the majority of the market the Mexicans serve. As such, U.S. citizens need only look to themselves for a solution, not the government, and not the U.N. If U.S. citizens truly wanted to ameliorate the situation they would stop consuming drugs and/or work to get other citizens to kick their drug habits. I think it's pretty clear that most people don't care. I know I find it quite easy to ignore the mass deaths that occur throughout the world with regularity. But if people don't care they should at least stop crying about problems that are their own fault.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#2 10 years ago
Professor Dr. Scientist;48430206000 is the approximate death count of Mexicans murdered in 2008 as a result of the drug war. Men, women, children. Some were involved and some were just unfortunate. But the point of the thread isn't to lament their deaths. Rather it's to recognize that fretting about the violence and the instability of Mexico is misguided. The situation in Mexico (and the rest of Latin America for that matter) is a result of the daily actions of U.S. citizens, who comprise the majority of the market the Mexicans serve. As such, U.S. citizens need only look to themselves for a solution, not the government, and not the U.N. If U.S. citizens truly wanted to ameliorate the situation they would stop consuming drugs and/or work to get other citizens to kick their drug habits. I think it's pretty clear that most people don't care. I know I find it quite easy to ignore the mass deaths that occur throughout the world with regularity. But if people don't care they should at least stop crying about problems that are their own fault.

You could also just legalize the drug trade. That would solve a large number of problems besides just the Mexican dug war.

Rich19

Italicised no more

50 XP

14th August 2004

0 Uploads

4,058 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago
Afterburner;4843043You could also just legalize the drug trade. That would solve a large number of problems besides just the Mexican dug war.

This. Legalise, tax, control. There's no way you can just eliminate the drug trade from a country, and even less chance of this happening because people are concerned about some dead Mexicans.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#4 10 years ago
Professor Dr. Scientist;48430206000 is the approximate death count of Mexicans murdered in 2008 as a result of the drug war. Men, women, children. Some were involved and some were just unfortunate. But the point of the thread isn't to lament their deaths. Rather it's to recognize that fretting about the violence and the instability of Mexico is misguided. The situation in Mexico (and the rest of Latin America for that matter) is a result of the daily actions of U.S. citizens, who comprise the majority of the market the Mexicans serve. As such, U.S. citizens need only look to themselves for a solution, not the government, and not the U.N. If U.S. citizens truly wanted to ameliorate the situation they would stop consuming drugs and/or work to get other citizens to kick their drug habits. I think it's pretty clear that most people don't care. I know I find it quite easy to ignore the mass deaths that occur throughout the world with regularity. But if people don't care they should at least stop crying about problems that are their own fault.

Getting the entire nation to quit doing drugs (especially crack and heroine addicts) because of some dead mexicans, isn't going to exactly work... And talking about it on the internet and hoping that one of those people see this is even less likely, as they've probably sold their computer for drug money.

SeinfeldisKindaOk

5.56 smoke Haji every day

55 XP

18th July 2008

0 Uploads

8,397 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago
Afterburner;4843043You could also just legalize the drug trade. That would solve a large number of problems besides just the Mexican dug war.[/quote] I agree that appears to be the most realistic way to address the issue.
Rich19;4843056This. Legalise, tax, control. There's no way you can just eliminate the drug trade from a country, and even less chance of this happening because people are concerned about some dead Mexicans.
I agree that eliminating the drug trade is probably impossible. My point was that if you wish to try the best way is not to attack the supply lines but rather the demand that is responsible for the supply lines. [quote=bud389;4843153]Getting the entire nation to quit doing drugs (especially crack and heroine addicts) because of some dead mexicans, isn't going to exactly work... And talking about it on the internet and hoping that one of those people see this is even less likely, as they've probably sold their computer for drug money.

Well, I did mention that non-drug taking citizens could do something also. Like I said in the first post, the point isn't to mourn the deaths in Mexico, it's to say that while the specter of nefarious Latin American drug lords causes a lot of worry, the source of the problem (if you think it is one) is internal (to the U.S. and other drug-importing countries) and therefore so is its solution. p.s. I've never been addicted to heroine but I was hooked on Heroes for the 1st season. After that the quality got so bad that I no longer craved it. p.p.s Did you know Bayer Aspirin invented heroin?

Rich19

Italicised no more

50 XP

14th August 2004

0 Uploads

4,058 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago
Professor Dr. Scientist;4843498I agree that eliminating the drug trade is probably impossible. My point was that if you wish to try the best way is not to attack the supply lines but rather the demand that is responsible for the supply lines.

How do you plan on doing that? The law has no effect, and appealing to people's morality is a waste of time. As long as there is a supply, there will be a damand. As long as there is a demand, there will be a supply.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#7 10 years ago
Rich19;4843518How do you plan on doing that? The law has no effect, and appealing to people's morality is a waste of time. As long as there is a supply, there will be a damand. As long as there is a demand, there will be a supply.

I'm still demanding a zombie apacolypse...

Rich19

Italicised no more

50 XP

14th August 2004

0 Uploads

4,058 Posts

0 Threads

#8 10 years ago

A demand for drugs.

amoreelitesoldier

Back from the dead!

50 XP

8th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,047 Posts

0 Threads

#9 10 years ago
Professor Dr. Scientist;4843498 My point was that if you wish to try the best way is not to attack the supply lines but rather the demand that is responsible for the supply lines.

The reason you see drug users arrested is because this country is trying to curb the demand for illegal drugs. It's not my obligation to save people from the harmful effects of these substances. You can't make a person stop using drugs through any action aside from brute force, i.e. incarceration, and they still get drugs in there! People need to make the decision to quit drugs themselves. What we (the United States) need to do is use our strength to eliminate the threat that has been crossing our border for some time now. Pussy-footing around hasn't put us anywhere good.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#10 10 years ago
amoreelitesoldier;4845206The reason you see drug users arrested is because this country is trying to curb the demand for illegal drugs. It's not my obligation to save people from the harmful effects of these substances. You can't make a person stop using drugs through any action aside from brute force, i.e. incarceration, and they still get drugs in there! People need to make the decision to quit drugs themselves. What we (the United States) need to do is use our strength to eliminate the threat that has been crossing our border for some time now. Pussy-footing around hasn't put us anywhere good.

Agree'd, we need to stop letting these apeshit politicians (which barely do anything anyway) run 90% of the country and give some of that control to the government. But ya know, if eveything was done by me, i'd have the border electrified with landmines surrounding it, accomponied by snipers and lethal force would be use'd more often in law enforcement :P