SeinfeldisKindaOk

5.56 smoke Haji every day

55 XP

18th July 2008

0 Uploads

8,397 Posts

0 Threads

#11 10 years ago

amoreelitesoldier;4845206The reason you see drug users arrested is because this country is trying to curb the demand for illegal drugs. It's not my obligation to save people from the harmful effects of these substances. You can't make a person stop using drugs through any action aside from brute force, i.e. incarceration, and they still get drugs in there! People need to make the decision to quit drugs themselves. What we (the United States) need to do is use our strength to eliminate the threat that has been crossing our border for some time now. Pussy-footing around hasn't put us anywhere good.[/quote] Treatment/rehab is another option besides locking people up.

[quote=bud389;4845471]Agree'd, we need to stop letting these apeshit politicians (which barely do anything anyway) run 90% of the country and give some of that control to the government. But ya know, if eveything was done by me, i'd have the border electrified with landmines surrounding it, accomponied by snipers and lethal force would be use'd more often in law enforcement :P

That's silly. It would be a better use of resources to attack demand within the country rather than turning the border into a death zone. If the demand goes down so would drug related problems (symptoms) at the border.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,816 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,180 Posts

6 Threads

#12 10 years ago

It's not just the American's fault. The Mexican government must also share some of the blame for making the drug trade illegal within their borders.

SeinfeldisKindaOk

5.56 smoke Haji every day

55 XP

18th July 2008

0 Uploads

8,397 Posts

0 Threads

#13 10 years ago

You're referring to the legalization option right? Most enforcement in other countries is due to pressure from the U.S. If the U.S. legalized the rest would follow suit. But regardless of drugs being legalized, if demand decreased in the U.S. then problems in Mexico due to drug trade would decrease as well.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#14 10 years ago
Professor Dr. Scientist;4845662You're referring to the legalization option right? Most enforcement in other countries is due to pressure from the U.S. If the U.S. legalized the rest would follow suit. But regardless of drugs being legalized, if demand decreased in the U.S. then problems in Mexico due to drug trade would decrease as well.

That's not likely to happen any time soon. With cigarette taxes rising steadily, it's cheaper to get high on a joint, then to buy a pack of smokes in many areas. Making the choice more attractive, usually 'joints' can be delivered, without extra cost.

amoreelitesoldier

Back from the dead!

50 XP

8th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,047 Posts

0 Threads

#15 10 years ago
Professor Dr. Scientist;4845581Treatment/rehab is another option besides locking people up. That's silly. It would be a better use of resources to attack demand within the country rather than turning the border into a death zone. If the demand goes down so would drug related problems (symptoms) at the border.

A large portion of our criminals here in the United States abuse illegal narcotics and drugs. Completely closing the southern border would definitely benefit the drug situation we're currently facing.

Rich19

Italicised no more

50 XP

14th August 2004

0 Uploads

4,058 Posts

0 Threads

#16 10 years ago
amoreelitesoldier;4846076A large portion of our criminals here in the United States abuse illegal narcotics and drugs. Completely closing the southern border would definitely benefit the drug situation we're currently facing.

Bollocks it would. You expect the drug cartels to simply say "oh well, you win some and you lose some"? One of the leaders recently made the list of richest men in the world, if I remember rightly. Would you expect Microsoft to take a ban on the sale of computer software/hardware lying down? Would you expect Coca-Cola to stop importing drinks to wherever if a single import route was closed? If anything, the closure of the border would be an excuse to drive prices up, helping the cartels make even more obscene profits and fuelling even more violent crime to pay for people's habits.

Blank Stare

AE

50 XP

24th July 2004

0 Uploads

4,323 Posts

0 Threads

#17 10 years ago

Hey fags, prohibition doesn't work. No matter what borders you close, no matter how many people you lock up, people will get drugs. Stop wasting my tax money on shitty, incompetent departments like the D.E.A. and just legalize.

amoreelitesoldier

Back from the dead!

50 XP

8th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,047 Posts

0 Threads

#18 10 years ago
Rich19;4846296Bollocks it would. You expect the drug cartels to simply say "oh well, you win some and you lose some"? One of the leaders recently made the list of richest men in the world, if I remember rightly. Would you expect Microsoft to take a ban on the sale of computer software/hardware lying down? Would you expect Coca-Cola to stop importing drinks to wherever if a single import route was closed? If anything, the closure of the border would be an excuse to drive prices up, helping the cartels make even more obscene profits and fuelling even more violent crime to pay for people's habits.

I assume it was you who neg rep'd me because we share different opinions? How mature of you. :rolleyes: Microsoft and Coca-Cola are legitimate companies who sell legitimate products; drugs cartels are neither respectable nor do they sell anything we need. I'll go back to my original view: We need to stop pussy-footing and use our full law enforcement capabilities to catch the drugs on our side, and offer military assistance to Mexico to help handle things on their side. Mexico is obviously incapable of policing its citizenry.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,816 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,180 Posts

6 Threads

#19 10 years ago

amoreelitesoldier;4846852I assume it was you who neg rep'd me because we share different opinions? How mature of you. :rolleyes: Microsoft and Coca-Cola are legitimate companies who sell legitimate products; drugs cartels are neither respectable nor do they sell anything we need.[/QUOTE]

You don't need a TV, you don't need a big house, a car or 2.4 children. For some reason they still call it the American dream though.

amoreelitesoldier;4846852I'll go back to my original view: We need to stop pussy-footing and use our full law enforcement capabilities to catch the drugs on our side,

There's not some magical button you can press where the police become psychic. America already sinks ridiculous ammounts of money into a useless war against drugs.

[QUOTE=amoreelitesoldier;4846852]and offer military assistance to Mexico to help handle things on their side. Mexico is obviously incapable of policing its citizenry.

Considering the number of deaths in the US due to firearms and the like one could say much the same of America.

amoreelitesoldier

Back from the dead!

50 XP

8th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,047 Posts

0 Threads

#20 10 years ago

According to Wikipedia, Tijuana had 843 homicides in 2008 which works out to 56.8 murders per 100,000 people. I found Detroit to have the highest (per capita) murder rate of any large U.S. city at 47.3 per 100,000. However, our police don't roam the streets with fully automatic machine guns expecting to engage in small arm firefights with domestic terrorists, either. The United States and Mexico are completely different from each other and require different tactics to properly establish a reasonable amount of safety and security to their citizens.