Blank Stare

AE

50 XP

24th July 2004

0 Uploads

4,323 Posts

0 Threads

#21 10 years ago
amoreelitesoldier;4846852 I'll go back to my original view: We need to stop pussy-footing and use our full law enforcement capabilities to catch the drugs on our side, and offer military assistance to Mexico to help handle things on their side. Mexico is obviously incapable of policing its citizenry.

Why? The drug war is the biggest failure/waste of money and resources since the Prohibition of the 1920's. In fact, it's pretty much the exact same thing as the Prohibition.

We already spent $40 billion

Many of the problems the drug war purports to resolve are in fact caused by the drug war itself. So-called “drug-related” crime is a direct result of drug prohibition's distortion of immutable laws of supply and demand. Public health problems like HIV and Hepatitis C are all exacerbated by zero tolerance laws that restrict access to clean needles. The drug war is not the promoter of family values that some would have us believe. Children of inmates imprisoned by the drug war are at risk of educational failure, joblessness, addiction and delinquency. Drug abuse is bad, but the drug war is worse.

All illegal drugs combined kill about 4,500 people per year. (In the United States) That is extremely low compared to the legal alternatives we have.

In recent decades the U.S. has experienced a surge in its prison population, quadrupling since 1980, partially as a result of mandated sentences that came about during the war on drugs.

Spoiler: Show
US_incarceration_timeline-clean.gif

59.6% of people in Federal prisons are in for drug offenses. 20% in State jails. Do you have any idea how much money wasted that is?

The overwhelming weight of the scholarly evidence on drug policy supports decriminalization. Every major study of drug policy in history has recommended a non-criminal approach. This is irrefutable.

I recommend that you start with: The Consumers Union Report on Licit and Illicit Drugs, published by the Editors of Consumer Reports Magazine.

Roaming East

Ultima ratio regum

50 XP

7th November 2005

0 Uploads

4,770 Posts

0 Threads

#22 10 years ago

The drug war is far to lucractive to the US government in terms of money and business to bother ending.

Crazy Wolf VIP Member

Snipes With Artillery

277,420 XP

22nd March 2005

0 Uploads

27,192 Posts

0 Threads

#23 10 years ago
amoreelitesoldier;4845206The reason you see drug users arrested is because this country is trying to curb the demand for illegal drugs. It's not my obligation to save people from the harmful effects of these substances. You can't make a person stop using drugs through any action aside from brute force, i.e. incarceration, and they still get drugs in there...

So, what you're saying is, you can't make a person stop using drugs unless you jail them, where they will continue to use drugs? How do you stop the person in jail from using drugs, put them in double-jail? Would someone in double-jail caught using drugs go to triple-jail, or quadruple-jail?

EDIT: Wait, do we now have more prisoners than soldiers?

amoreelitesoldier

Back from the dead!

50 XP

8th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,047 Posts

0 Threads

#24 10 years ago
Crazy Wolf;4846906So, what you're saying is, you can't make a person stop using drugs unless you jail them, where they will continue to use drugs? How do you stop the person in jail from using drugs, put them in double-jail? Would someone in double-jail caught using drugs go to triple-jail, or quadruple-jail? EDIT: Wait, do we now have more prisoners than soldiers?

My point is that people will not stop using drugs until 1) they realize how harmful drugs are, or 2) drugs are unavailable. I completely understand the difficulty in waging a so-called drug war. It is impossible to erradicate all drugs, but imposing stiffer penalties and imprisoning the leaders of these syndicates surely must benefit us in some way. Please, lose the smart-ass attitude. Some people enjoy mature and intelligent debate. :lookaround:

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#25 10 years ago
Crazy Wolf;4846906So, what you're saying is, you can't make a person stop using drugs unless you jail them, where they will continue to use drugs? How do you stop the person in jail from using drugs, put them in double-jail? Would someone in double-jail caught using drugs go to triple-jail, or quadruple-jail? EDIT: Wait, do we now have more prisoners than soldiers?

It's quite hard to get "drugs" in jail, the most you could probably get away with most often is cigarretes.

amoreelitesoldier

Back from the dead!

50 XP

8th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,047 Posts

0 Threads

#26 10 years ago

I don't know about that...I'm sure a lot of drugs can fit in the rectum. :eek:

Stryker500

I want to be like the Admins

50 XP

26th January 2009

0 Uploads

225 Posts

0 Threads

#27 10 years ago

All I can do is wish the loyal Mexican security forces the best combating these criminals. Legalizing this BS is not going to remove all of the criminal and will only be destructive in the long run.

Warborg

Revenge was here.

50 XP

3rd August 2002

0 Uploads

1,833 Posts

0 Threads

#28 10 years ago
Stryker500;4847245Legalizing this BS is not going to remove all of the criminal and will only be destructive in the long run.

I think you head the nail right on target, Drugs being outlawed is just an excuse for these clowns to act the way they do. If AMERICA legalized drugs then these guys would just move on to another issue to continue their evil ways. Drug lords become who they are because they like the "danger" of it.

Kilobyte

What does the Fox say?

69,060 XP

23rd November 2002

0 Uploads

6,468 Posts

0 Threads

#29 10 years ago
Warborg;4847274I think you head the nail right on target, Drugs being outlawed is just an excuse for these clowns to act the way they do. If AMERICA legalized drugs then these guys would just move on to another issue to continue their evil ways. Drug lords become who they are because they like the "danger" of it.

Oh come on! Most of them do not like the danger of it, they just understand that it comes with the "territory".

They want control. When a person is addicted to drugs, they become desperate. They become slaves to the drug, and thus to the provider of the drug. This gives the drug lord power.

Ofcourse, it varies between the drugs, however the reasons they are banned are the same.

---------------------------

Now I don't really know if legalizing drugs would be better, or worse than this situation is becoming. However, I would expect legalizing the drugs would make it worse.

Dot Com

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

26th June 2000

0 Uploads

6,116 Posts

0 Threads

#30 10 years ago

amoreelitesoldier;4846852drugs cartels are neither respectable nor do they sell anything we need. [/quote] That's a lie. Look at Budweiser and Marlboro. They are the most successful pushermen of this nation and I don't hear you gabbing on about how they "aren't respectable". So either support the prohibition of alcohol/cigarettes as well as drugs or get off your high horse. You can't have one or the other.

My point is that people will not stop using drugs until 1) they realize how harmful drugs are, or 2) drugs are unavailable.

People have been using drugs since B.C. and you think that that some phony War on Drugs will get humanity to stop? How ludicrously naive. People will find a way to use them until the sun burns out...

[quote=Roaming East]The drug war is far to lucractive to the US government in terms of money and business to bother ending.

Too true. They are making a killing off of the prison industrial complex. Without the drug users filling their profitable prisons, how would they stay in business?