Aeia

Live with honor, die for justice!

90 XP

3rd May 2016

0 Uploads

181 Posts

1 Threads

#21 4 years ago

I second that. Indeed, while you can devote your time, energy, mental concentration and money to get adept at something, you do that at the expense of other things in your life. In chinese movies, they very often depict the highest degree martial arts masters as secluded loners, living in some temple or cottage, far from general populace. The message is clear: if you want to stand out of the ordinary in skill and strength, you have to sacrifice other things for it.

But then again, isn't the same true for other professions, not related to sports? Talk about soldiers. They live such a long part of their lives in an sub-society (aka military barracks), that many of them find it difficult to merge in with the regular (aka civilian) society after serving for 20-30 years. Renowned scientists, researchers, philosophers, mathematicians, writers, poets ... the list goes on. Take any skill. If you want to get extraordinary at it, you have to sacrifice other things in your life (specially time, money and physical effort).

In this perspective, Olympics (and all other sports events) are not about international harmony or friendly competition. They are about national (and individual) egos. The silent expression of "I am superior to you!" And yes, with this perspective, they have no attraction for a common person not interested in sports.

Superfluous Curmudgeon Advanced Member

AOE2 Addict

12,526 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

845 Posts

12 Threads

#22 4 years ago

I agree that to be the best at something you've got to make many sacrifices, and have a good deal of genetic luck. Of course, society wouldn't run very well if everyone practiced their pursuit of choice to such an extreme degree. But I'm not advocating that everyone does, I'm simply appreciating the fact that some people make that choice, and giving that sort of lifestyle some admiration. I mean, let's be honest, who decides what a balanced life is? For society to operate, people on average must contribute more than what they consume to society. In this day and age, that's not very hard to do. And it doesn't mean everyone has to have the same job. If there is a deficit in the total number of people participating in a certain essential job (like parenting), that will be detrimental to society.

As far as the ego thing goes, I don't really care so much, so long as the person isn't a complete jerk about his/her accomplishments.

Aeia

Live with honor, die for justice!

90 XP

3rd May 2016

0 Uploads

181 Posts

1 Threads

#23 4 years ago

Remove all the medals and souvenirs. Remove the awards ceremony and then invite the countries to send in their sports teams/individuals. That would be the real spirit of harmony, unity and a global family.

Of course sportsmen would still train with dedication and sincerity. The only difference would be, that then, there would be no ego balloon of which country won how many golds in which competition.

Nemmerle Advanced Member

Voice of joy and sunshine

299,101 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,202 Posts

6 Threads

#24 4 years ago

"Superfluous Curmudgeon "I agree that to be the best at something you've got to make many sacrifices, and have a good deal of genetic luck. Of course, society wouldn't run very well if everyone practiced their pursuit of choice to such an extreme degree. But I'm not advocating that everyone does, I'm simply appreciating the fact that some people make that choice, and giving that sort of lifestyle some admiration. I mean, let's be honest, who decides what a balanced life is? For society to operate, people on average must contribute more than what they consume to society. In this day and age, that's not very hard to do. And it doesn't mean everyone has to have the same job. If there is a deficit in the total number of people participating in a certain essential job (like parenting), that will be detrimental to society.

As far as the ego thing goes, I don't really care so much, so long as the person isn't a complete jerk about his/her accomplishments.

I think I might have misunderstood you earlier then. I was going along the lines that I don't think this inspires people to take up sports, (in the extreme form of that argument, I suppose it might even discourage them (- e.g. I'll never be that so what's the point?),) whereas you seem to be going along the personal line that you appreciate seeing people push the limits, in much the same way that one might appreciate a particular form of art.

Which, hey-ho! I'm not gonna say your fun is wrong ^_^

Lord Rumpuss V Advanced Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,744 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,519 Posts

0 Threads

#25 4 years ago

Why even bother with olympics? There's pro-sports for all that "Push to the limit" B.S.   Plus the taxpayer doesn't need to pay you squat, since the machine that drives capitalism will pay it for you.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Silberio Advanced Member

Bourée

392,945 XP

9th October 2007

0 Uploads

37,226 Posts

5 Threads

#26 4 years ago

Ever since I learned more about how economics and politics work, I've seen the olympics as just another thing to make money for big ass corporations who give not a single shred of a shit about the spirit of unity.

Specially with the whole Rio thing where people's been killed for the sake of making the city pretty. Same as the Russia winter olympics was it? Where it was boycotted to hell and if it weren't because the media made a pretty big deal of it, the whole human rights violations against LGBT individuals would probably have gone unnoticed amidst the hypocrisy of the Olympics. And they still did the whole thing over there.

The olympics are nothing but another big corporation. Maybe the people who participate have the spirit, but that's not what the comittee or the big bosses behind it are.

/rant

qjyUJrq.png

Optical Illusion Forum Moderator

Capybara

263,696 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,844 Posts

1,767 Threads

#27 4 years ago

Well, you never know.  This whole scandal might influence some change in the Rio government.  The fact that the entire rest of the world is looking at them might get some powerful people to help keep people out of poverty and maybe...just maybe...get some people off the streets and maybe make Rio a place where you wouldn't mind living.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Nemmerle Advanced Member

Voice of joy and sunshine

299,101 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,202 Posts

6 Threads

#28 4 years ago

I'll just leave this here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apocalympics2016

:p

Serio Advanced Member

The Dane

149,972 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,513 Posts

38 Threads

#29 4 years ago

"Adrian Ţepeş"Well, you never know.  This whole scandal might influence some change in the Rio government.  The fact that the entire rest of the world is looking at them might get some powerful people to help keep people out of poverty and maybe...just maybe...get some people off the streets and maybe make Rio a place where you wouldn't mind living.[/quote] ... Very much doubt it.

[quote="Nemmerle"]I'll just leave this here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apocalympics2016

:p

Where do you think I get my info from? :p

Lord Rumpuss V Advanced Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,744 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,519 Posts

0 Threads

#30 4 years ago
"Silberio"Ever since I learned more about how economics and politics work, I've seen the olympics as just another thing to make money for big ass corporations who give not a single shred of a shit about the spirit of unity.

Nope. The Olympics was never about unity, it was always a dick waving  contest started by the greeks to show the known world back then that they we're superior. (what? you think the nazi's started the whole damn thing?)  That's the reason why the oldest sports back then was pretty much combat based IE: Javelin/discus throwing, archery, boxing, wrestling/grappling. The rest of the world just followed after them. 

And somewhere along the way some idiots tried to paint it as "unity" when pro-sports (Where the real grit can be found nowadays) took over.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.