British Government to Scrap Human Rights Act [TRIGGER WARNING - NO SAFE SPACES HERE] 39 replies

Please wait...

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Free speech might not be free for much longer. The UK is about to scrap the 'Human Rights Act' that Labour introduced back in 1998. The act, which protects a number of freedoms such as privacy, life, and free speech, will be scrapped in a move that the new government claims will help separate the UK from Europe.

There's also no guarantee that the UK will be able to pass this law in Scotland, so it ultimately might be restricted to just England. It's also believed that any move to withdraw the act from Northern Ireland would be a violation of the Good Friday Agreement.

Let alone the fact it's entirely based on bullshit arguments(the act has very little to do with the EU), it seems the British government is very much at war with its peoples liberties.

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,852 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,877 Posts

217 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,592 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#3 2 years ago
"Serio"...the new government claims will help separate the UK from Europe. 

Oh it will separate it alright...

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#4 2 years ago
"Adrian Ţepeş"

I know people often draw parallels(and often incorrectly so) between dystopian futures and politics. But in this case, it really begins to seem as if the UK could turn into a V for Vendetta style England.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,122 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#5 2 years ago
"Serio"t seems the British government is very much at war with its peoples liberties.

Near the end of Brexit, they did say they are at war with everyone.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#6 2 years ago

Sometimes I just want to curl up in the corner and sleep for a few decades until this shirt storm blows over. They claim to want to replace it with a bill of British rights, but let's not fool ourselves - the PTB in the current government have disliked the idea of certain inconvenient human rights for a very long time, and they're not going to be bringing them back under some new heading.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#7 2 years ago

I don't even think most of the British public wants this. Not even the Brexiteer crowd. One thing is saying "No more EU". Another is saying "Let's rewrite our constitution".

A year ago, I actually jokingly stated that Theresa May looked like a Doctor Who villain. It ended up as a bit of a funny aneurysm moment. I made the joke because of her posture and attitude; now she genuinely acts like a Doctor Who villain out to destroy Britain.

I dread to think what this bill of rights would omit. Besides removing the protections, it will also remove the right to a fair trial. And, as mentioned, privacy too.

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,592 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#8 2 years ago
"Serio"
"Adrian Ţepeş"

I know people often draw parallels(and often incorrectly so) between dystopian futures and politics. But in this case, it really begins to seem as if the UK could turn into a V for Vendetta style England.

I'll start a GoFundMe account for tickets to Switzerland :D

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,400 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,121 Posts

1,330 Threads

#9 2 years ago

Are they replacing it with something else?

I can see removing the current one if they plan to replace it with "their" version right away.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,122 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#10 2 years ago

Maybe moving to a nation that is still in the EU is the better option here.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png