Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Although this was already public knowledge back in October, the CIA has now declared that Russia did, in fact, try to sway the US election and that evidence indicates it was in favour of Donald Trump. Now, this isn't going to change a thing - the election is over and done, regardless of whether it was manipulated or not. It has, however, made a number of Republican and Democratic officials request a formal investigation into the matter, something hugely opposed by the upcoming administration.

Mr. Trump spoke on the declaration, accusing the CIA of meddling in the election results and being 'ridiculous', saying that there's no way they could possibly know if China or Russia were behind the RNC and DNC hacks. This comes at the same time as the President-Elect declared that he was too smart to need the customary daily intelligence briefings.

A bipartisan group, led by Senator and former Presidential candidate John McCain, is calling for the investigation of the election. McCain also cited Trump's historically positive, personal relationship with Vladimir Putin as grounds for concern, as well as the number of business associates and donors that Mr. Trump has appointed to high ranking positions.

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,406 XP

17th June 2002

7 Uploads

33,654 Posts

779 Threads

#2 2 years ago

"Now, this isn't going to change a thing - the election is over and done, regardless of whether it was manipulated or not." That's an alarming thing to say. if the CIA can present credible, verifiable evidence that the Russians manipulated the electoral processes behind the most powerful political position on the planet, it absolutely, positively, must not be over.

That's a big if, of course. But if there's even the slightest amount of doubt, how they proceed says a lot about the 'bastion of freedom and democracy'.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,011 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Russia has been influencing politics and public opinion in the US and in many European countries for quite a while. Election manipulation is just one of their tools and not necessarily the most dangerous.

If you look at history and find a country that uses covert means to weaken their neighbours while investing more money than they can afford into a military build-up the result is usually a "surprise" attack on its neighbours.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#4 2 years ago

The only reason I say "it's over and done", is because I can't see the Republicans agreeing to a new election. Of course I hope they actually do agree to a new election with new candidates, but I can't see it actually happening. You'd need a large, bipartisan collective agreeing to do away with the electoral college, streamline voting and restore democracy. That's a big move.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#5 1 year ago

Doesn't really make a difference for me. Policies will continue that favor big business, the divide between the classes will continue to increase, and equality of persons will continue to decrease. 

YOLO, but at present I don't really see anything I can do to help things out politically, and a degree of resignation to apathy follows.

Nittany Tiger Forum Mod

*Shrug*

289,107 XP

15th September 2004

0 Uploads

27,136 Posts

0 Threads

#6 1 year ago

Sadly, unless there's a massive revolution, I don't see anything changing either.  The average American doesn't feel important enough to make big changes, and every time they try, the movement either gets hijacked by extremists, dies a quiet death in obscurity, or the ones in charge just flat-out ignore and suppress it.  If you're not worth billions, a powerful figure, or both, you're not worth shit in American politics except around election season.

Emperor Benedictine

You can't fire me, I quit

55 XP

16th April 2005

0 Uploads

2,437 Posts

0 Threads

#7 1 year ago

Ignoring that the CIA has negative credibility and their claims are no more trustworthy than those of the least trustworthy Presidential candidate, this obviously will not change anything with regards to the election, because getting your emails hacked and having the corruption and dishonesty of your party and candidate revealed to the public isn't grounds for a retry regardless of whether foreign powers were responsible for it.

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#8 1 year ago
"Mr. Matt"That's a big if, of course. But if there's even the slightest amount of doubt, how they proceed says a lot about the 'bastion of freedom and democracy'.

I think the US lost any credible claim to tags such as 'bastion of freedom and democracy' , 'land of the free' 'world greatest democracy' , 'greatest country on earth' long ago if it ever even had a sensable claim to those.  

The damn electoral and political system has been a mess and will remain a mess as the Dems and Reps won't demolish the system that they are build on and need to maintain to survive. A new election also seems out of the question unless it becomes clear that via massive fraud the elections were not only manipulated or hijacked but simply faked.  That not being the case we won't see a new election and we are just going to have to enjoy the ride and see how good a populist does at living up to his promises. Hopefully not burning the country or the world down during his time in office. 

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#9 1 year ago

Well, the CIA's claims are now supported by both the FBI and the ODNI.  Yesterday, the Republican chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee announced that a committee will conduct a full review of the claims put forth by the CIA, FBI and ODNI. 

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#10 1 year ago
"Nittany Tiger"Sadly, unless there's a massive revolution, I don't see anything changing either.  The average American doesn't feel important enough to make big changes, and every time they try, the movement either gets hijacked by extremists, dies a quiet death in obscurity, or the ones in charge just flat-out ignore and suppress it.  If you're not worth billions, a powerful figure, or both, you're not worth shit in American politics except around election season.

Revolution? So... Special Snowflakes with safe spaces versus gung-ho patriots with guns...Yeah that contest has already been decided before it has even begun.

And really CIA? The same CIA that claimed Saddam had WMD'S?  Not to mention the director that is an Obama appointee?

Get over it liberals you Lost.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.