Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,592 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#1 2 years ago

As in do you think we will be pulling out the troops in the next, oh, I dunno 5 years?

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#2 2 years ago
"Adrian Ţepeş"As in do you think we will be pulling out the troops in the next, oh, I dunno 5 years?

Maybe some places, but as much as it sucks, I think we're there to stay, until the conflict escalates to a climax and serious damage is done to at least one party.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,124 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#3 2 years ago

No. It will stay going as long as America exists.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#4 2 years ago

How can it end? It's a war on an idea. War is terror, any small party doesn't have much motivation to line up for the machine guns....

Like as not it will just lose favour as a marketing term, but the underlying theme I imagine will be with us for as long as we're around - asymmetrical warfare isn't new. 

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago

Nemm is right. It's a war on ideals and values. Western ideals and values are  just incompatible with this one religion.

Unless there are some major reformations made in islam the war goes on.

The major players involved will eventually change which should make it interesting.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Barbas

Hound dog

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

440 Posts

0 Threads

#6 2 years ago

When we and all of the moderate religious people finally decide to get together for the sake of our shared culture and security, isolate these extreme ones who are ruining it for everyone else, and cure Earth of them.

If these people genuinely want to die for what they believe in, I don't consider it genocide to literally give them what they want, when they've adequately demonstrated they're prepared to do the same to anyone else.

Calvin%2B%2526%2BHobbes%2Bsnow%2Bforts.jpg

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#7 2 years ago

Terrorism's nothing unique about Islam, nor religion for that matter, nor is it anything new. Guerrilla warfare has been around for hundreds of years, targeting of civilian populations has been around for thousands. All warfare is intended to force your enemy to submit to your will, and the reward for failing to do so has never been tea and crumpets.

Our enemies, in this era, happen to be associated with a religious identity. That's all it is. The tactics they employ in that regard aren't anything special.

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#8 2 years ago

Indeed terror and asymmetrical warfare have always been around and always will. They may put a different label on it sometimes but people will terrorize others for all sorts of silly and less silly reasons. Or if you are talking about the silly catchphrase 'war on terror'  as in how long will we be going after and be attacked by islamic nutjobs, well we will see plenty of that in the decades to come. Including all sorts of privacy violating and anoying 'security measures' . But unless both 'the west' stops contacts with 'islamic' nations and islam having it's own reform era, we will still see needless killings. On the upsight, the number of such nutters are very slim and the chanche of being  victem are even slimmer. You're more likely to be killed in traffic or at your home so don't get your panties all in a bunch. :)

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,296 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#9 2 years ago

The war on terrorism will never end until terrorism ends, but terrorism will never really end.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,592 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#10 2 years ago

But what about Afghanistan and Iraq?  It seems to me that even regarding all the abstractions of a war on terror, what about the logistics of keeping a sizable force overseas to essentially police the area and hope that democracy takes effect?

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.