Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,932 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#1 2 years ago

... Okay, stupid topic title aside, I saw this pop up on my Twitter feed. 

As many are aware, Pokémon GO launched a few days ago in North America, and all joking aside, it seems to have had fairly positive effects on a few players. By augmenting reality, it lets players experience the world around them through the "safe" lens of their phone. This lets people with agoraphobia, anxiety or depression safely move around outside.

This is actually a pretty big thing. I know from personal experience that focusing on my phone or using music to distract me helps me stay calm in anxious situations, and I am very much into these games that allow me to bring the game "into real life", so to speak.

What are your thoughts on this phenomena? Aside from people walking into traffic(which isn't anything new; Gameboys did the same once), I can see Pokémon GO actually having a positive impact on the world around us.

Some food for thoughts: Click Here

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,016 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Interesting link. I know someone who suffers from agoraphobia, so I'll forward that link and see if it works.

It is a weird condition in that people develop various methods and tricks to help them with the anxiety. I'm no expert, but I think there is also a bit of a danger of relying too much on these tricks and using them to avoid the problem itself. So I guess it is a good tool to start working on the problem but I'd be cautious about relying only on such tools to get the underlying problem fixed.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,932 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#3 2 years ago

(whoever fixed my link; thanks. I have no idea what happened)

Yeah, there's obviously some concern about reliance on devices like that. But if you have serious trouble getting outside, I would think dependency on a device is a fair trade-off if it means you can get out some more. You can then work from there on and try to remove the device for periods.

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#4 2 years ago

I think the app could be helpfor for those who would otherwise feel uncomfortable to be outside. Though obviously as you said it won't solve the underline problem of those who are close to or reached the phobia level. So real help would still be the best. And let's not forget normal people who can just enjoy the game like many other app. 

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago

Oh and some people might have other troubles. Reports of people walking along highways, railroads, trying to enter the basements of hospitals and so on... I can understand that people might  be a bit too deep into their screen and miss something happening right next to them, but wandering off into dangerous or restricted areas?

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#6 2 years ago
M!tch VIP Member

intermittently erratic

130,170 XP

12th March 2004

0 Uploads

11,767 Posts

0 Threads

#7 2 years ago

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/07/most-ridiculous-ways-people-are-trying-to-get-out.html

Thinking about it.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,932 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#8 2 years ago

"Admiral Donutz"Oh and some people might have other troubles. Reports of people walking along highways, railroads, trying to enter the basements of hospitals and so on... I can understand that people might  be a bit too deep into their screen and miss something happening right next to them, but wandering off into dangerous or restricted areas?[/quote]

Honestly, I saw that happen before all this. People walking around and texting or playing a game on their phones, not caring to look at the traffic or people around them. And from what I've seen, the game doesn't even require you to look at the screen as you walk. You find a Pokémon; it vibrates and alerts you, and you check the location. You then walk there and check your phone again.

"unic0rn"http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sks/5679211258.html

[quote="M!tch"]https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/07/most-ridiculous-ways-people-are-trying-to-get-out.html

Discussion contribution is overrated, amirite

M!tch VIP Member

intermittently erratic

130,170 XP

12th March 2004

0 Uploads

11,767 Posts

0 Threads

#9 2 years ago

Shit, it's here in the UK. No deaths yet, but I am waiting...........

Thinking about it.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,932 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#10 2 years ago

I mean, Richmod police have asked people to stay out of their Twickenham station in a tweet filled with awful puns; 

https://twitter.com/MPSRichmond/status/753553621858525184