I'm too cool to Post
26th June 2000
U.S. Spies Want to Find Terrorists in World of Warcraft
Be careful who you frag. Having eliminated all terrorism in the real world, the U.S. intelligence community is working to develop software that will detect violent extremists infiltrating World of Warcraft and other massive multiplayer games, according to a data-mining report from the Director of National Intelligence.
The Reynard project will begin by profiling online gaming behavior, then potentially move on to its ultimate goal of "automatically detecting suspicious behavior and actions in the virtual world."
* The cultural and behavioral norms of virtual worlds and gaming are generally unstudied. Therefore, Reynard will seek to identify the emerging social, behavioral and cultural norms in virtual worlds and gaming environments. The project would then apply the lessons learned to determine the feasibility of automatically detecting suspicious behavior and actions in the virtual world.
* If it shows early promise, this small seedling effort may increase its scope to a full project.
Reynard will conduct unclassified research in a public virtual world environment. The research will use publicly available data and will begin with observational studies to establish baseline normative behaviors.
The publicly available report -- which was mandated by Congress following earlier concerns over data-mining programs -- also mentions several other data-mining initiatives. These include:
* Video Analysis and Content Extraction - software to automatically identify faces, events and objects in video
* Tangram - A system that wants to create surveillance and threat warning system that evaluates known threats and finds unknown threats to issue warnings ahead of an attack
* Knowledge Discovery and Dissemination - This tool is reminiscent of the supposedly-defunct Total Information Awareness program. It seeks to access disparate databases to find patterns of known bad behavior. The program plans to work with domestic law enforcement and Homeland Security.
The report gives no indication why the find-a-terrorist cell in Sims project is called Reynard, though that is a traditional trickster figure in literature.
25th September 2006
How exactly do terrorists plan to 'spread terror'? Are they going to steal our gold or something?
And seriously, I don't exactly think WoW is a likley target for terrorim. Maybe its just more of that "nowhere is safe from terrorism bullshit"
I'm way cooler than n0e (who isn't though?)
27th May 2004
Oh I see priorities are in the perfect place here... :Puzzled: How whacked.
themanclaw;4238461How exactly do terrorists plan to 'spread terror'? Are they going to steal our gold or something? And seriously, I don't exactly think WoW is a likley target for terrorim. Maybe its just more of that "nowhere is safe from terrorism bullshit"
Well considering that people have killed others, themselves, starved, spent thousands of dollars, ignored family and friends and ignored their health all over tiny things in the game. Imagine what would happen if gold was stolen on such a scale.
I would die without GF
8th October 2006
wtf... I see no way that terrorists could spread terror through WoW, apart from stealing everyone's money, and blaming it on a Blizzard server crash. This is just going too far. Reminds me of the McCarthyism era.
I'm too cool to Post
17th July 2003
Only two things I can think of here.
1) The terrorists join a WoW server, form a guild. They can then talk to each other and leave messages from anywhere in the world they can log into the server.
2) Even though I think its supposed to be illegal there is big business for buying WoW gold for real money. Are terrorist supporters hiring young kids to sit and farm gold to sell for real money so the real money can fund real life terrorist operations?
Will this prevent lvl 70 Allys from raiding Tarren Mill?
29th February 2004
Having eliminated all terrorism in the real world...
The Arrogant French Prick
5th December 2004
That soooo remembers me of those crazy WW2 weapons that never made it past the testing tests...
24th September 2007
This is the stupidest thing the us goverment has done.
11th November 2006
Just my reaction; "Wha'?". I think this means they have eliminated all religions in the Eastern World too then.
God Send Death
10th January 2004
Wait...this is joke right?