Let us consider the evidence against the 'Good of God'.
1) He knew that Jesus would be killed, that he would suffer an excrutiating death at the hands of men, but he sent him anyway. Some say, this is a sacrifice. That God gave his Son to us so he could die for our sins. Others (mostly me) say, scrap that, why would a Father be so cruel as to send his Son to a certain painful death? Because God knew Jesus would be murdered and did not prevent it, even though he could, he becomes an accessory to the murder of his own Son.
2) Without mercy, he obliterated the entire poulation of the Earth except for two lucky souls (does anyone know the name of Noah's wife?). This included, children, babies, and the unborn. What did these young people do to deserve to be killed so ruthlessly? Anything? Did they sin? Does the baby in the womb have the ability to commit sin let alone understand what is and isn't a sin? No, it does not. Irregardless, God (in a glorious show of compassion) killed them all. Excellent work, Lord. We can add Planetary Genocide to the list of your crimes.
3) God is a jealous God. He wants you to worship him and him alone. When you worship another he gets jealous and wants the worshippers that your God has. Nay, he doesn;t just want them, the covets them. He breaks one of his won Commandments by doing so. This makes God a hypocrite. Whereas we cannot class hypocrisy as a crime per se, we can expect him to be true to the 'Nation of God'. He turned his back on one of his nation's laws, making him a traitor to his people. Add treason to the list of crimes.
4) The tree. The tree is an interesting thing. God creates Adam & Eve (Eve from one of Adam's ribs, no less. Yes, I know it's stretching the realms of fantasy a littel too far, but please, Ladies and Gentlemen, stay with me for this one). God tells his newly created children that they cannot touch the tree. They can do anything else they wish. Anything but touch the tree. Now, every parent knows (so one can safely assume that an omnipotent parent would) that if you tell a child not to touch something, they will. 'Don't touch that damn tree, you little tykes.' They do. Of course. Now, this isn't a crime, but it is gross stupidity. Especially when the omnipotence of God would suggest he would know it was going to happen anyway. Does anybody else see the utter thick-headedness on display from this 'Great and Powerful Creator of All Things'?
To summarise, the case against God:
1) His actions lead to the murder of his Son. 2) Genocide on a global scale. 3) Hypocrisy and treason against his people. 4) Utter stupidity.
Is this a being worthy of our praise? You decide.
He can do whatever He wants... He's God.
Our small brains can't even begin to comprehend his motives. Don't even try.
Played mate ;)
I see all of them as valid reasons as to why, frankly, religion is bs.
colonel_bobHe can do whatever He wants... He's God. Our small brains can't even begin to comprehend his motives. Don't even try.
Jesus man, this is the sort of thing you see in a movie. "The Dark Lord" has enslaved thousands to believing they are inferior to him. You sound just like one of these people, its pretty damn funny. If you truly believe he IS superior to you, read Excessions summary. Basically what god apparently did was terrorism ;)
colonel_bobHe can do whatever He wants... He's God.
Im not denying this, it wasn't the point or purpose of the thread. It would appear that once again you are too quick to jump to the defence of Your God. So quick, in fact, that you missed the question:
Is this a being worthy of our praise?
Assuming there is a God (and rational, sensible people know this is an impossibilty) would you worship something capable of committing such crimes?
ExcessionAssuming there is a God (and rational, sensible people know this is an impossibilty) would you worship something capable of committing such crimes?
Yes, I would. Even though I'm not sure He's there. :lookaround:
So why do you "worship" him so much, and put yourself below something that youre not even sure is there or not? :confused: And you dont care that he Commited Genocide on an enormous scale, like Hitler? Do you worship Hitler aswell?
colonel_bobYes, I would. Even though I'm not sure He's there. :lookaround:
You should perhaps look into Satanism, it may be more your 'cup of tea'. Especially as you worship, or at least would if you believed in, a being capable of such acts.
Don't get me wrong. I don't take time out of my day to get on my knees and pray, and I don't really go to church... I really have something thats, well, its really hard to describe. And I say I'm not sure because everything that you know tells you that no, there shouldn't be a God and this religion thing is just a big scam. But then, with everything that I've experienced in my life, I really feel some one or some thing is there. Again, I can't describe it. I wish I could.
Or there's the possiblility that us humans are the problem, not god. We could be an anomaly to an otherwise almost perfect world. Think about it. Life in the world was pretty good since no one had much intellegence, but now the world has been destroyed. My other idea is that humans were made to worship, not do the crap we do now. If god really cared about us, we wouldnt be fighting each other like assholes. Still religion is what we turn to when were down. The concept of god is flawed, but we shouldnt stop worshiping for that reason, because we need, at least right now, that there is a greater being, even if he was just the Creator of our world, and nothing else.