Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#1 1 year ago

This is... One of the weirdest fucking things I've seen this year. In lieu of the Fourth of July yesterday, NPR tweeted out the Declaration of Independence. That's what you'd expect, right? 

Apparently not. A number of people took to the keyboards to verbally attack NPR, accusing it of being biased, run by the Hollywood Elite, and calling the Declaration of Independence "trash".

Others said clearly you need to hear both sides of the story.

... Well, 241 years after the fact, I guess?

http://gizmodo.com/trump-supporters-cry-bias-after-npr-tweets-the-declarat-1796633566

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,478 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,739 Posts

1,754 Threads

#2 1 year ago

You know I've noticed among religious groups that often the less people know about what they believe the more devoutly they defend it.  The same sees to hold true regarding devotion to country.  I guess ignorance really is bliss.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,478 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,739 Posts

1,754 Threads

#3 1 year ago
"Adrian Ţepeş"You know I've noticed among religious groups that often the less people know about what they believe the more devoutly they believe and defend it.  The same sees to hold true regarding devotion to country.  I guess ignorance really is bliss.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Emperor Benedictine

You can't fire me, I quit

55 XP

16th April 2005

0 Uploads

2,437 Posts

0 Threads

#4 1 year ago
Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#5 1 year ago

"Emperor Benedictine"http://www.snopes.com/2017/07/06/nprs-declaration-independence-tweets/

Skepticism is the foundation of liberalism.

Ah, yes. One account is fake, so that must surely indicate every other account is, too. Doesn't matter that you could witness it in all its cringe glory, live in action.

Emperor Benedictine

You can't fire me, I quit

55 XP

16th April 2005

0 Uploads

2,437 Posts

0 Threads

#6 1 year ago
"Serio"

"Emperor Benedictine"http://www.snopes.com/2017/07/06/nprs-declaration-independence-tweets/

Skepticism is the foundation of liberalism.

Ah, yes. One account is fake, so that must surely indicate every other account is, too. Doesn't matter that you could witness it in all its cringe glory, live in action.

I mean, no, it doesn't matter. You can witness an account posting something live and that account can still be fake.

Though Snopes doesn't claim that all of the accounts are fake. It merely provides important context that the pseudo-journalistic blogs spinning out this story are themselves disseminating fake news propaganda, whether knowingly or through neglect, by presenting a probable fake identity as representative of a particular group of people.

I'd also add that even if it is silly to accuse NPR of propaganda in this case, it is not exactly unusual for a historical document to be quoted for propagandistic purposes.