Pizza Guy Gets Thousands for one insult 13 replies

Please wait...

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,925 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,881 Posts

218 Threads

#1 2 years ago

First.. watch the video - I know, CNN's the pinnacle of journalistic integrity.. but I have the feeling that the reporter speaking in a monotone is hating her job being made to report on this.

Anyway. Seems that this Pizza Delivery Guy gets given a $50, and the bill is $47. He walks out, thinking he's get a $7 tip, only for the people who ordered the pizza - some car thing from what I can gather - to ring up and complain.

The manager sends the delivery guy - who is obviously pissed off by this point having been stiffed a tip - back to the car place to give the $7 back. There's friction, parties on both sides of this story are particularly nice, but the video gets released and the internet blows the fuck up. (apparently).

So.. my question.

1. Should he have assumed he got a tip, or offered change and been told to keep it or not.. 2. Should the manager of the pizza place have sent the same delivery driver back - knowing he's pissed off about being stiffed?

So it seems a kickstarter was started and the internet gave this guy thousands of dollars? Wtf.

I dunno, it just seems fucking ridiculous. At least one person lost their job over this, while the guy who made an assumption gets thousands and lauded as a hero?

What's your thoughts?

Spoiler: Show

......meanwhile, in Britain:

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,593 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Either that woman just said $50 given for a $42 pizza delivery leaves $7 or I've gone completely fucking deaf.  Tipping in America is weird.  I haven't had a pizza delivered in many years so I had to do a little bit of research.  What I've found suggests that most major chains like Pizza Hut, Domino's, and Papa John's include a delivery fee in the total cost of the bill which doesn't add to the driver's wage.  Tips are completely voluntary, but it's generally considered rude not to give about $2-4.  According to one website the usual amount is about 15%, so a typical pizza ordered for one-two people would be let's say $15 meaning the tip would be $2.25.  Fair enough I guess; I never really cared that much and I'm not going to make some poor guy dig through his car for exact change.  However, the tip for the cost of their total meal would be $6.30, assuming all round numbers, or $48.30, so he would have walked away with $1.70 in extra cash.  Big fucking deal... >_>

Overall, these people need a time out until they learn some manners.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Barbas

Hound dog

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

440 Posts

0 Threads

#3 2 years ago

I'm not sure I'm quite following your numbers there, OP.

Calvin%2B%2526%2BHobbes%2Bsnow%2Bforts.jpg

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#4 2 years ago

America is weird with tipping. Tipping seems to be almost obligatory over there. Here, you only really get a tip if you do excellent service. Hell, most transactions are done by card now, so you can't even add a tip properly.

c0mpliant VIP Member

50 XP

9th March 2003

0 Uploads

1,947 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago
"Barbas"I'm not sure I'm quite following your numbers there, OP.

Yeah those number don't add up. If the bill was $47 then the change would $3, if the bill was $42 then the change is $8

I haven't watched the video because I'm in work, but speaking personally, when I order online, I usually pay €3-4 in delivery charge. If I'm paying that, I'm not paying for a tip as well. If I don't get charged for delivery I'll tip but not otherwise.

Having said that,I wouldn't have let the driver go if I didn't intend to tip and if he went off and I watched him leave with my money I wouldn't ring up and complain because I watched him leave.

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#6 2 years ago

This is fuckin old news.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

c0mpliant VIP Member

50 XP

9th March 2003

0 Uploads

1,947 Posts

0 Threads

#7 2 years ago
"Lord Rumpuss V"This is fuckin old news.

Great contribution to the debate that.

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#8 2 years ago
"c0mpliant"Great contribution to the debate that.

So is this; But you at least you won't hear/read me bitching about it...Oh wait...

But back on topic : "Tipping" on any type of service is usually based off personal preference and social standing . IE: a rich person tipping a waiter with the right amount might seem prudent to some people and just plain being a penny pinching skinflint to another.  So there is no grounds for debate on point one as far as I can see. Plus the math doesn't add up.

Second: there's a lot of crazier Kickstarters out there: Some are blatantly started for quick cash grabs and some just  outright scamming people.

Feminist Freq comes to mind right off the bat.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,593 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#9 2 years ago

Calm down, everyone.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,329 XP

15th December 2002

87 Uploads

22,520 Posts

1,747 Threads

#10 2 years ago

How do you fuck up delivering a pizza so bad?

Firstly, if you hand over $50, then expect change, then when the delivery driver starts to leave without giving said change, you say it there and then, you don't watch him leave then ring up to complain later.

What's more likely is the person who collected gave it as a tip, and the others complained about having no change.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com