Paladin: The Holy Knight

50 XP

16th March 2005

0 Uploads

3,789 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

Pakistani general election, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Despite delays, states of emergency, an assassination and all else, the election pulled through for the late Benazir Bhutto's Pakistan People's Party which is now under Bilawal Bhutto Zandari and Asif Ali Zandari. Thoughts anyone?

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Yes.

If I was the US I would already be packing. Musharraf kept Pakistan in line by sometimes draconian methods.

As soon as he is gone all hell is going to break loose and IMHO in less than two years a pro-Taliban/Al Qaeda state will exist and this one will have nuclear weapons.

Chemix2

50 XP

16th March 2005

0 Uploads

3,789 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

There is no hope for peace in the middle east?

Octovon

Spaceman

54,945 XP

5th August 2003

0 Uploads

5,317 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago
Anlushac11;4225646As soon as he is gone all hell is going to break loose and IMHO in less than two years a pro-Taliban/Al Qaeda state will exist and this one will have nuclear weapons.

Yea, the second that happens, Western nations and/or India will have to strike Pakistani nuclear facilities and hope to annihilate Pakistan's arsenal. Its not optimistic, but that's what will happen if Pakistan takes a turn for the worse.

A democratic government in Pakistan, though probably a good thing, will not have the heavy-handed resolve to deal with the more radical elements in the nation. A Musharraf-led dictatorship is far safer for the region than a radical anti-West, Taliban-esque government.

Quetron

USA

50 XP

28th August 2006

0 Uploads

1,155 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

They will keep mangleing eachother, as for the nukes, bring it on. I bet the extremists will have a tougher time than everyone thinks, if they think the other prez was bad wait till they deal with telebunns, or alqueerdo.

masked_marsoe VIP Member

Heaven's gonna burn your eyes

50 XP

16th April 2005

0 Uploads

8,063 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago

Chemix2;4225375Pakistani general election, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Despite delays, states of emergency, an assassination and all else, the election pulled through for the late Benazir Bhutto's Pakistan People's Party which is now under Bilawal Bhutto Zandari and Asif Ali Zandari. Thoughts anyone?

I think its a good sign for Pakistan when a secular and liberal party wins, with largely-secular parties also doing well.

The Islamic parties won 3 seats, and boycotted most of the elections (down from 52). That at least prevents them from having much say in the Majlis. In addition, they have lost control of the North-West Frontier Provincial assembly, handing it over to the PPP.

I think it give the PPP the best chance to make something good out of Pakistan.

Chemix2

50 XP

16th March 2005

0 Uploads

3,789 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one positive about this

Karst

I chose an eternity of this

50 XP

6th January 2005

0 Uploads

4,505 Posts

0 Threads

#8 10 years ago

I don't see why this would bring chaos to the country, the PPP is a large, well-established, moderate party. Especially in wealthier and urbanized areas, radical groups simply do not have the support to plunge the entire country into chaos. Also, one must understand the kind of importance Benazir Bhutto had and her legacy still does. Millions wept when she died, riots broke out. People are very sympathetic of her party.

Karst

I chose an eternity of this

50 XP

6th January 2005

0 Uploads

4,505 Posts

0 Threads

#9 10 years ago

News update: The PPP and Nawaz Sharif's PML-N party are set to form a coalition. This means a government with a huge majority in parliament with one moderately anti-Musharaf and one staunchly anti-Musharaf party. Pakistan parties to form coalition

Roaming East

Ultima ratio regum

50 XP

7th November 2005

0 Uploads

4,770 Posts

0 Threads

#10 10 years ago

So Musharraf IS actually stepping down? i lost money this week then. i would have bet anything that guy would have simply declared the elections no contest and retained power by force.