AzH

I'm too cool to Post

269,650 XP

17th September 2003

0 Uploads

24,050 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

Guy is 24 and a virgin. Is he more or less likely to be a sex offender than someone who is 24 and not a virgin? Please explain your answers in typical pub fashion.

Vertical345

Revenge was here.

50 XP

2nd August 2004

0 Uploads

2,868 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Yes. He is horny as fuck and will take it anyway he can get it.

AzH

I'm too cool to Post

269,650 XP

17th September 2003

0 Uploads

24,050 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

So you think a 24 yr old virgin is a potential rapist?

Vertical345

Revenge was here.

50 XP

2nd August 2004

0 Uploads

2,868 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

No.

However chances are that a person who isn't sexually active is going to be more likely to commit a sex crime.

VFrieden

I don't know what I'm doing

46,056 XP

16th March 2008

0 Uploads

4,268 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

When compared to a person that isn't a virgin and is in a sexual relationship, the virgin is more likely to rape someone. But when compared to a person that isn't a virgin who can no longer find anyone willing to have sex with him/her, the virgin is less likely.

VF.jpg

masked_marsoe VIP Member

Heaven's gonna burn your eyes

50 XP

16th April 2005

0 Uploads

8,063 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago

There is evidence that a person who has first-time sex outside of the socially normal range (generally ~13-17) is considerably more likely to have negative effects from it, most typically depression or self-esteem problems.

I think, from memory, there is also evidence that a person who has first-time sex outside of the normal range is more likely to be susceptible to "bad sex", on that scale from dysfunctional relationships to sexual offending.

Huffardo

Arrrr!

48,770 XP

29th November 2003

0 Uploads

4,632 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago

Less, I believe he will be more likely to be able to control his urges than someone who has had sex since he was able to and finds himself in a position of not having access to it. I do however agree with Frieden, a virgin is probably statistically more likely to become a sex offender than someone who has access to it whenever he wants.

I doubt the difference in probability is anything very significant as the sexual pressure the virgin feels might make up for the lack of compassion, spine and morals that seem more likely to be found in someone who lost their virginity early.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,628 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,166 Posts

6 Threads

#8 10 years ago

I think it would depend why he's still a virgin. When you look at the priesthoods with deliberately suppressed sexuality they tend to have quite high incidences of sexual offence as compared to the general population. On the other hand some people are genuinely not interested, or are physically unable to engage in those sorts of relations anyway, in which case the question of motive for the act enters the picture.

If you don't want sex or can't have sex then the motive is more likely to be one of control, in which case I find it questionable that a 24 year old virgin who didn't desire or was unable to have sex would have more or less control issues than someone in the normal population.

Someone who was socially unable to attract a mate might have those sorts of control issues, but at the same time they'd almost certainly have social issues in other areas of their lives. For that group the question is why they would chose rape to express those issues as compared to other forms of social deviance or control.

Statistically I think it's more likely that they'll be sexual offenders; although the statistics will be weighed quiet heavily by factors such as sexual offences of groups where virginity is thrust upon a person rather than chosen; still I don't think there's a causal link to draw here, the two groups just happen to coincide.

Dot Com

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

26th June 2000

0 Uploads

6,116 Posts

0 Threads

#9 10 years ago

Rape isn't about sex. It's about control...

...or at least that's what the media leads you to believe and you know their track record of honesty is spotless.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,628 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,166 Posts

6 Threads

#10 10 years ago

Wonder whether the rape rate would go down if they legalised prostitution.