Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Well, this is different. A Syrian refugee that police discovered to have numerous components and plans for attacking German locations has been apprehended after a two day manhunt. But the twist here is that it wasn't police that ultimately caught him; it was an effort by refugees themselves.

Jaber al-Bakr, the suspect, posted on an online forum asking for lodging near Leipzig. Two Syrians decided to take him in, except they set up a trap to capture him. They tied him up with electrical cords, and after confirming his identity one of them went to the local police whilst the other stayed behind to watch the suspect. Al-Bakr, desperate to get away, even offered the man a bribe of a thousand euros, which he turned down. 

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#2 2 years ago

To be honest, I don't find this particularly surprising beyond the dramatics involved in the actual event. The best intelligence about actual threats, (rather than people the security services equip and then arrest - who never had a realistic chance of presenting a threat save for the assistance said security service gave them,) almost always comes from a peaceable community in which those threats happen to be embedded. That counter terrorism often seems dead set on making enemies of those people or alienating them is a special kind of stupid. ¬_¬

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#3 2 years ago

I don't find it surprising either. I hope these two men are going to be getting a lot of glory. Show their compatriots that helping foil this shit, and helping protect society, is something that the public appreciates. This is a fantastic PR opportunity that I hope German uses.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#4 2 years ago

Let people know society gives you a big bag of cash and lets you sneak off into obscurity if you want to too. Ya' know, conflicting motives at play. Some people want glory and are fine with the target being painted on their back. Other people are ... 'less enthused' ... about the idea of being skinned alive and hung from a bridge as one of the more easily interpreted pieces of modern art.

Barbas

Hound dog

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

440 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago

I cannot locate this story on the BBC news site. Where did you find it?

Calvin%2B%2526%2BHobbes%2Bsnow%2Bforts.jpg

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#6 2 years ago
"Serio"I don't find it surprising either. I hope these two men are going to be getting a lot of glory. Show their compatriots that helping foil this shit, and helping protect society, is something that the public appreciates. This is a fantastic PR opportunity that I hope German uses.

Yeah as if that's gonna suddenly erase the string of terror attacks and gang rapes all of a sudden.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#7 2 years ago

"Lord Rumpuss V"Yeah as if that's gonna suddenly erase the string of terror attacks and gang rapes all of a sudden.

It doesn't erase the crimes committed by individuals, no. It might help prevent future crimes by encouraging integration and adoption of western values, though. 

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#8 2 years ago

Nothing surprising about it, most of us human beings are not monsters so turning in a nutjob should not surprise anyone. What is more surpsing is that the police did not act when one of those men called the police to say they had him. And even at the police station the officers were at first questioning his story...  Could have been one big fail if those two men decided not to bother hoding the suspect any longer (or if he escaped the appartment) if the police didn't care to show up soon enough or at all. 

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,010 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#9 2 years ago

The guy apparently had 1.5 kg of explosives (self-made military grade) and was very close to attacking an airport. Authorities claim they used information obtained from merging various network data (possible delivered by the US) to identify the terrorist, so politicians immediately started pushing for less privacy and more surveillance. Authorities also screwed up the initial arrest somehow.

It is good that Syrians turned him in, but I don't think that will make much of an impression on public opinion. There has been a series of attempted attacks by refugees and fringe right-wing parties are having a field-day. We have been very lucky that the terrorists were rather inept so far. There is not much the authorities can do, those people who came in with the refugees with the intention to do something nasty are very difficult to track. If the number of incidents continues at the current rate we will experience a Paris or Belgium style attack within the next 2-3 years for sure. That will probably have a big political impact; either the current parties shift to the right (already happening to some extent) or the right-wing parties gain sufficient power to be part of the next government.

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,592 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#10 2 years ago

They've got their hands full.  I think the refugees are smart enough to recognize the only way they can integrate into the society that allowed them shelter is to help that society in any way they can.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.