Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#1 2 years ago

I'm certain most of you have heard of this awful event already, but in case you missed it; this morning, a gunman attacked an LGBT oriented night club in Orlando, Florida. A police officer working as a security guard tried to stop the gunman, but the attacker took hostages. After a three hour siege, police blew down a wall and killed the gunman, but not before he had taken out some of the hostages.

Casualties, at last count, seem to have passed 50, making this one of the deadliest attacks in the US in recent history, and the deadliest mass shooting in US history. The FBI is currently investigating it as an act of terrorism, and is suspecting the gunman may have had associations with militant Islam.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,722 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

793 Posts

9 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Words can't really describe how messed up this is...

Barbas

Hound dog

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

440 Posts

0 Threads

#3 2 years ago

The last of this scale was a bombing in 1927, I read. But that was before the killing efficiency of assault rifles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

I also read that the gunman's father claimed the incident had nothing to do with religion, and that it may have been triggered by the sight of a gay couple kissing in Miami. Whatever the motive, the mere sight of a gay couple kissing is unconvincing on its own. 

Calvin%2B%2526%2BHobbes%2Bsnow%2Bforts.jpg

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#4 2 years ago

with all the respect to the victims...

of course he was a muslim. or christian fanatic. or Trump supporter, tired of LGBT being promoted by the media.

they'll spin it whatever way suits them most. also, lets not forget 'ban the guns' agenda - what better way to support it than to have tens of victims being members of the most vocal minority these days?

it's sick. all of it.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#5 2 years ago

"Barbas"The last of this scale was a bombing in 1927, I read. But that was before the killing efficiency of assault rifles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

I also read that the gunman's father claimed the incident had nothing to do with religion, and that it may have been triggered by the sight of a gay couple kissing in Miami. Whatever the motive, the mere sight of a gay couple kissing is unconvincing on its own.  [/quote] That seems... very unconvincing. Why would that "offend" him, unless his beliefs tell him that it's wrong? 

[quote="unic0rn"]with all the respect to the victims...

of course he was a muslim. or christian fanatic. or Trump supporter, tired of LGBT being promoted by the media.

they'll spin it whatever way suits them most. also, lets not forget 'ban the guns' agenda - what better way to support it than to have tens of victims being members of the most vocal minority these days?

it's sick. all of it.

Though I'm not a fan of guns myself, I don't see them as having anything to do with these events. They've happened in California, a restrictive state, and now Florida, one of the most lax states. Of course, politicians on either side will try to spin it to their advantage.

Trump has already taken to Twitter, to "appreciate the congratulations" he's receiving form his supporters on being "right".

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#6 2 years ago

I see arguments for both sides. Honestly, if I lived in America, around people who had access to guns, I wouldn't feel comfortable without going armed myself. Regardless of whether one is pro or anti gun, that seems bizarre to me. 

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#7 2 years ago

a right to carry a gun in the USA was never for self-defense from other citizens, but from the government - the former is just a side effect. that's why they're doing what they can to ban them - with the amount of guns people there have, if they'll finally decide that their government has crossed the line, they'll tear it apart.

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#8 2 years ago
RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,205 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,111 Posts

1,329 Threads

#9 2 years ago

The fact that before the blood was even dry the media and politicians are already using this for political gain is just sick.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,474 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,739 Posts

1,754 Threads

#10 2 years ago
"unic0rn"a right to carry a gun in the USA was never for self-defense from other citizens, but from the government - the former is just a side effect. that's why they're doing what they can to ban them - with the amount of guns people there have, if they'll finally decide that their government has crossed the line, they'll tear it apart.

I doubt that.  Unless they have access to the CIA, NSA, and any other network of resources the federal government does, all it's going to be in their best case scenario is a few national guard units with whatever they can scavenge.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.