The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#1 2 years ago

http://news.sky.com/story/1708955/sex-ban-man-says-order-is-an-end-to-your-life

Okay, seriously, what. This guy was accused of rape, but was cleared by the justice system. Apparently, being declared innocent is not enough for the long, unbreakable arm of the law. So, thanks to 1984 style laws, the police got a judge to issue a sex risk order against him. This means that, per the conditions of the order, the man has to give the police a 24 hour notice before he plans to have sex, and the police are allowed to show up and order him to check his devices.

If he breaches that? Oh, hello five years in prison. 

Surely there's no bloody way that kind of order can hold up in court?

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,296 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#2 2 years ago

"Serio"http://news.sky.com/story/1708955/sex-ban-man-says-order-is-an-end-to-your-life

Okay, seriously, what. This guy was accused of rape, but was cleared by the justice system. Apparently, being declared innocent is not enough for the long, unbreakable arm of the law. So, thanks to 1984 style laws, the police got a judge to issue a sex risk order against him. This means that, per the conditions of the order, the man has to give the police a 24 hour notice before he plans to have sex, and the police are allowed to show up and order him to check his devices.

If he breaches that? Oh, hello five years in prison. 

Surely there's no bloody way that kind of order can hold up in court?

If he was proved innocent, then, that's fucking ridiculous.

I assume he is contesting this in court?

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Aye, it's being brought before magistrates next week, with a full hearing in august. But this order was placed back in January, and the guy(and his barrister) suspects that his history of visiting a "50 Shades of Grey style sex club" helped them get the SRO against him.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#4 2 years ago

This is ridiculous. Blatant violation of his human rights. I don't see any possible way to justify something like this without an offence having been proven to have taken place.

There are things that bring the police into public disrepute as a bunch of corrupt fuckheels and effectively unrestrained discretion is one of them.

Barbas

Hound dog

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

440 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago

I just read about this on another news site earlier. I hope it gets struck down for its absurdity.

He said the jury at the retrial took an hour and six minutes to unanimously clear him

. . .

SROs can be applied to any individual who the police believe poses a risk of sexual harm, even if they have never been convicted of a crime . . .

You bloody what, sunshine? How many people's lives is this going to jerk with? And what are the police even meant to be able to accomplish with the 24 hour window?

Calvin%2B%2526%2BHobbes%2Bsnow%2Bforts.jpg

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#6 2 years ago
"Barbas"You bloody what, sunshine? How many people's lives is this going to jerk with? And what are the police even meant to be able to accomplish with the 24 hour window?

They're "meant" to go and warn the woman of what she's getting into. Because, y'know, he's clearly a sexual deviant because he doesn't conform to their views. Even though he's not hurting anyone, and what he's doing isn't illegal.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#7 2 years ago

I can see why they'd think he'd be higher risk - after all it's more probable that someone who's been accused of rape has raped people or is going to do so than someone who has not. The evidence value isn't sufficient to convict someone on a word alone, but it isn't nothing either.

But... one of the reasons we suffer the police is that we tend to think that it's better to resolve our interpersonal problems via this process than another, we submit to it on the understanding that the system has certain standards. Regardless of whether the system in any particular instance gives us the outcome we desire, we have a respect for the value of those standards. However, where those standards are not met, the police and the legal system must not, on pain of weakening that compromise, act against someone.

We can't say he's not a rapist, maybe he is. Certainly it is more probable that he is than a randomly selected member of the population. That does not suffice to inflict the violence of the state upon him. Individual safety is not the highest goal of a police force - lest we all end up in padded cells.

I think less of the legal system as a consequence of their perversion of the principles that they are meant to uphold. This is really letting themselves down and the people responsible should be run out of the force.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#8 2 years ago

"Nemmerle"I can see why they'd think he'd be higher risk - after all it's more probable that someone who's been accused of rape has raped people or is going to do so than someone who has not. The evidence value isn't sufficient to convict someone on a word alone, but it isn't nothing either.[/quote]

I'm not sure I agree with that. Rape is a serious accusation to level against someone. It's so serious that it has been used, in the past, to discredit politicians, activists, organisations, and more. I don't think just because someone is accused of rape, makes them more probable to be a rapist. If it's a repeat, then yes, much more probable. But in a case like this, it seems far more likely that he just ended up with that batshit insane person.

That said, I don't deny that there's a chance he could be guilty. If new evidence turns up, the entire scenario changes.

[quote="Nemmerle"]But... one of the reasons we suffer the police is that we tend to think that it's better to resolve our interpersonal problems via this process than another, we submit to it on the understanding that the system has certain standards. Regardless of whether the system in any particular instance gives us the outcome we desire, we have a respect for the value of those standards. However, where those standards are not met, the police and the legal system must not, on pain of weakening that compromise, act against someone.

We can't say he's not a rapist, maybe he is. Certainly it is more probable that he is than a randomly selected member of the population. That does not suffice to inflict the violence of the state upon him. Individual safety is not the highest goal of a police force - lest we all end up in padded cells.

I think less of the legal system as a consequence of their perversion of the principles that they are meant to uphold. This is really letting themselves down and the people responsible should be run out of the force.

It's a thin line that law enforcement have to walk. We don't often hear when the system works, because that's not necessarily as exciting or newsworthy as when the system fails. We're not as interested in hearing about the guy who got arrested while buying guns for a robbery, as the guys who got arrested after the robbery. Success just doesn't seem to draw in people.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#9 2 years ago

"Serio"I'm not sure I agree with that. Rape is a serious accusation to level against someone. It's so serious that it has been used, in the past, to discredit politicians, activists, organisations, and more. I don't think just because someone is accused of rape, makes them more probable to be a rapist. If it's a repeat, then yes, much more probable. But in a case like this, it seems far more likely that he just ended up with that batshit insane person.

That said, I don't deny that there's a chance he could be guilty. If new evidence turns up, the entire scenario changes. [/quote]

Note I do not say how much more likely it is that someone who is reported for rape has raped someone, simply that it is. That is true even if it is more probable that he did not do the thing than that he did.

[quote="Serio"]It's a thin line that law enforcement have to walk. We don't often hear when the system works, because that's not necessarily as exciting or newsworthy as when the system fails. We're not as interested in hearing about the guy who got arrested while buying guns for a robbery, as the guys who got arrested after the robbery. Success just doesn't seem to draw in people.

It's a very clear line that law enforcement have to walk, if you assume that they're there to do a principled job rather than to do whatever pleases those with the greatest capacity for histrionics.

Aeia

Live with honor, die for justice!

90 XP

3rd May 2016

0 Uploads

181 Posts

1 Threads

#10 2 years ago

I think this case (police versus human rights) will have long lasting consequences on the future of both; individual human rights and authority of police in UK. I have been noticing (although most people would probably disagree with me on this) that even in developed countries, the police and other law enforcement institutions are gradually attaining more of a rule of overseer and authoritarians, than civil servants. The condition in third world countries and authoritarian states such as China and Russia is already beyond questionable and falls in the realms of problematic.

If this dude has this history in my country, first, he wouldn't be cleared of the charges, even if the plaintiff took off all the charges from him. He'd most definitely rot in some 3rd grade prison cell on 10 years sentence and emerge as a twisted, sadistic, vengeful serial killer or rapist.