Snake Morrison

There will be death.

50 XP

21st November 2004

0 Uploads

743 Posts

0 Threads

#1 13 years ago

This is a thread to basically discuss the moral elements of war and anything else you can think about war in general. It's a big topic, so a few specific questions to get started: Is war ever justifiable? When? Why kill each other to solve problems? What are some reasons (justified or otherwise) to go to war? And a few things to remember--Use past wars as examples only; a huge discussion on WWII belongs in the Historical Discussion sub-forum, not here. And please do not turn this into a flame war about Iraq. There are enough threads for that already. I'll be back tomorrow to post my own opinions.

NuclearFieldMarshall

Lurking Mastermind

50 XP

6th July 2005

0 Uploads

1,145 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

'So long as there are men, there will be wars." War is in our nature. We do not know the meaning of peace.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#3 13 years ago

teh onli war i lik is th irack war bush saved ameriac wit it

Krieg der Sterne

Future Serviceman

50 XP

25th May 2005

0 Uploads

1,254 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago
FaVeFiVeReJecTteh onli war i lik is th irack war bush saved ameriac wit it

Huh?confused1.gif

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#5 13 years ago

gameplayerabmThis is a thread to basically discuss the moral elements of war and anything else you can think about war in general. It's a big topic, so a few specific questions to get started: Is war ever justifiable? When?[/QUOTE]

We can always justify war to ourselves. The important thing however is whether the justification is valid. To which I can only say that to some people it will be and to some people it won't, you don't get a fixed setting as to whether someone else's justification can apply to you.

gameplayerabm Why kill each other to solve problems?[/QUOTE]

Some problems necessitate the removal of another's world view. Mostly we seem to do it because we're lazy though.

gameplayerabm What are some reasons (justified or otherwise) to go to war?

How long do you have? Genocide, territorial expansion, oppression of your citizens, poll ratings. God the list just goes on and on and on and...

[QUOTE=Krieg der Sterne]Huh?confused1.gif

[QUOTE=Translation to English] The only war I like is the Iraq war, Bush saved America with it.

Snake Morrison

There will be death.

50 XP

21st November 2004

0 Uploads

743 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago

Scratch what I said earlier--the lock-in I was going to got cancelled. Without my knowledge. Idiots. I figure war is justifiable a) Whenever you're the defender, obviously, and b) Whenever the opposing country needs to be stopped: Removing a tyrant from power, stopping a threat to you or your allies, so on and so forth. I suppose we can't negociate out all of our problems, because some people will always want power or never be appeased, so war sometimes is the only answer, really. I agree with Nemmerle, the reasons for war are practically endless.

FaVeFiVeReJecTteh onli war i lik is th irack war bush saved ameriac wit it

Please tell me you're joking. Please tell me you're just pretending to be stupid. Please tell me this is a parody of an extremist, brainwashed Bush-lover. You're making us look bad.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#7 13 years ago

do u lyke the irack war????

Snake Morrison

There will be death.

50 XP

21st November 2004

0 Uploads

743 Posts

0 Threads

#8 13 years ago
FaVeFiVeReJecT do u lyke the irack war????

My hopes are dashed. Oh, well. Yes, I "lyke" the Iraq war, or at least I support it.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#9 13 years ago

me 2!!!111 i think its grate that bush got rid of sadam he was a meanie lol

Nordicvs VIP Member

A Man among humans

50 XP

4th May 2005

0 Uploads

2,865 Posts

0 Threads

#10 13 years ago
gameplayerabmThis is a thread to basically discuss the moral elements of war and anything else you can think about war in general. It's a big topic, so a few specific questions to get started: Is war ever justifiable? When?

Yes, when one country is attacked by another, when there is no other possible course of action against an aggressive nation.

Why kill each other to solve problems?

Tradition, lack of diplomatic skills, testing out new military toys...fun.

What are some reasons (justified or otherwise) to go to war?

When your nation is being attacked by another nation. When your ally is being attacked by another nation. When your nation is going to be attacked by another nation. When your ally is going to be attacked by another nation. That's the only reasonable justification for war that I can see.