MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,579 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,982 Posts

6 Threads

#1 8 years ago

[COLOR=Black]Wikileaks apparently got thousands of secret documents about the war in Afghanistan from a whistleblower and supplied these to the New York Times, Guardian and Spiegel (German magazine).

There are a whole bunch of new articles about it already, some focusing on problems in the war in Afghanistan, others on possible involvement of the Pakistani secret service in terrorist attacks.[/COLOR]

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/26/world/asia/26isi.html?hp http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/26/world/asia/26warlogs.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

masked_marsoe VIP Member

Heaven's gonna burn your eyes

50 XP

15th April 2005

0 Uploads

8,063 Posts

0 Threads

#2 8 years ago

And apparently they're holding back another 15,000 documents for the security of the source.

I met Julian Assange (regarded as the main spokesman of Wikileaks) back in 2007 in Kenya, before Wikileaks opened for business. I was sceptical that it would really amount to much, and that their distribution network (ie how they receive and pass leaked documents) was extremely fanciful. I was so wrong.

Their ability to get these sorts of files, and in such numbers, from so many sources, and from so many countries, is completely unprecedented.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,251 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,137 Posts

5 Threads

#3 8 years ago

Who to believe and why? Take this for instance:

Secret commando units like Task Force 373 — a classified group of Army and Navy special operatives — work from a “capture/kill list” of about 70 top insurgent commanders. These missions, which have been stepped up under the Obama administration, claim notable successes, but have sometimes gone wrong, killing civilians and stoking Afghan resentment.

Why would you do it in such a way as to look like you'd done it? How much of this was in the reports, how much of it was someone's impression, how much of it was added in afterwards as interpretation either by wikileaks or the news agencies?

It's a dirty business and everyone's got reasons to stretch the truth.

masked_marsoe VIP Member

Heaven's gonna burn your eyes

50 XP

15th April 2005

0 Uploads

8,063 Posts

0 Threads

#4 8 years ago

Nemmerle;5366677Who to believe and why?

Why would you do it in such a way as to look like you'd done it? How much of this was in the reports, how much of it was someone's impression, how much of it was added in afterwards as interpretation either by wikileaks or the news agencies?

It's a dirty business and everyone's got reasons to stretch the truth.

You could go to Wikileaks and look at the raw files, and then match them against whatever interpretation the media was putting on it.

NiteStryker

Biggest F-ing A-hole 2010

215,560 XP

24th April 2003

0 Uploads

18,771 Posts

0 Threads

#5 8 years ago

So how much work has been done by Capt Price?

But seriously...

I didnt know Pakistan had a secret service.

Roaming East

Ultima ratio regum

50 XP

7th November 2005

0 Uploads

4,770 Posts

0 Threads

#6 8 years ago

ISI. pretty significant service too. They play both sides of the table, assisting in capturing taliban and AQ honchos while also assisting both groups in pulling off operations like the kabul embassy bombing and such.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

16th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#7 8 years ago

Yup the ISI is quite infamous in Pakistan.

There would be fewer civilian deaths if the Insurgents quit using civilians as shields.

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,261 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#8 8 years ago

I wonder how many people face prosecution this time around. Although we must acknowledge that this (wikileaks) isn't perfect either as documents could be faked. And the first path to see unjustice or shady things undone would be to report it internally, though organisations aren't too keen on real whistleblowers. But that seems to change for the better in recent times. Failing all that, if their isn't a save way to raise attention to some great injustice, then I really don't mind leaking classified material from any business, or organisation, private or public.

Mihail VIP Member

President of Novistrana

50 XP

19th January 2003

0 Uploads

15,509 Posts

0 Threads

#9 8 years ago
isn't perfect either as documents could be faked.

I'd hate to be the guy working for wikileaks tasked with forging 92,000 +15,000 unreleased documents.

NiteStryker

Biggest F-ing A-hole 2010

215,560 XP

24th April 2003

0 Uploads

18,771 Posts

0 Threads

#10 8 years ago

Anlushac11;5366817 There would be fewer civilian deaths if the Insurgents quit using civilians as shields.[/QUOTE] But are those civilian deaths attributed to American forces, is what I want to know. Or if a suicide bomber blows up a market, are those counted towards American civilian causalities?

[QUOTE=Mihail;5366862]I'd hate to be the guy working for wikileaks tasked with forging 92,000 +15,000 unreleased documents.

They dont have to forge all of them. Just a few edits here and there and you could make America look like Nazi Germany.

I hope they nail the leaker to the wall with syringes tho. Serious brig time for that bastard.