It may be recalled that earlier in the year the Yemen government formally transferred power from Saleh to his vice president, who will head a 'transitional government' until elections in 2014 (!). This has of course infuriated people, along with the fact that Saleh has immunity from having to face trial on the thousands who have died so far in the political unrest, as well as the crimes he had done in the 30 years he has been president as North Yemen and later the unified Yemen.
It is also accused that, since the transitional government is formed from people already in the government, that little will change and in a way Saleh can still exert influence on the government. Saleh's request for a US visa for 'medical treatment' still appears to be in the air though.
Street protests across Yemen demand trial of ex-president for deaths of demonstrators
By Associated Press, Published: March 23
SANAA, Yemen — Tens of thousands of protesters streamed into city centers across Yemen on Friday, demanding that their ex-president be stripped of immunity from prosecution and be put on trial for the deaths of demonstrators during the yearlong uprising.
Ali Abdullah Saleh, who ruled Yemen for 33 years, stepped down last month in a U.S.-backed deal that gave him immunity to ease a transition from his rule. He was widely expected to leave the country after relinquishing power but has instead remained in Yemen.
The power-transfer deal also gave Saleh’s party half of the seats in the new Cabinet. Critics say this has enabled him to interfere in the new government, working through loyalist Cabinet ministers as well as relatives and cronies still holding top military positions.
Street protests have continued even after Saleh stepped down, with demonstrators denouncing the ex-president’s immunity and demanding he face trial. The government has said at least 2,000 people have been killed in a year of turmoil.
Some protesters on Friday carried posters showing Saleh with a noose around his neck and many chanted demanding retribution for those killed in Saleh’s crackdown on protesters.
The continued street protests also reflect growing frustration among many Yemenis that their uprising, inspired by other Arab Spring revolts, has not achieved its goals even though a new president, Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, has been appointed in Saleh’s place.
During the rally Friday in the capital Sanaa, activist Abdel-Hadi al-Azazi said Saleh was “still working on sabotaging the revolution.”
The opposition also says the new government is unable to stop al-Qaida from gaining strength in the country’s south. The terror network’s branch in Yemen is seen by Washington as the most dangerous arm of al-Qaida, after its repeated attempts to carry out bombings on American soil. It only grew stronger during the past year’s turmoil, when militants seized control of several towns in the south, including Zinjibar, a provincial capital.
On Sunday, an American teacher was killed in Taiz, Yemen’s second most populous city. Al-Qaida claimed responsibility for the killing, raising fears that militants had infiltrated the central city.
Many Yemenis say Saleh’s military waged only a halfhearted battle against al-Qaida. Washington hopes that will change under the new president. However, in Taiz, Hadi has only appointed a new police chief while leaving other officials, believed to be Saleh loyalists, in power.
Opposition lawmakers have also accused Saleh’s loyalists of being behind recent power outages in the impoverished country. The ministry of electricity on Friday issued a statement blaming tribesmen in areas under control of Republican Guard forces, which are commanded by Saleh’s son, for sabotaging power stations.
The weekly al-Madr reported on Thursday that the Republican Guard prevented fuel tankers from entering Sanaa in the past days and published photographs showing tankers parked by the roadside.
On Thursday, the U.S. Embassy in Sanaa issued a statement noting a “deterioration in political cooperation” in Yemen, and saying “it is not acceptable for any party to interfere in the implementation” of the deal that led to Saleh stepping down. The statement was seen as a veiled warning to Saleh.
Saleh denounced the U.S. statement, according to a senior official of his General People’s Congress party.
“The president sees the statement as biased in favor of the new administration,” the official told The Associated Press on Friday, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to the media.
Also Friday, Britain’s Foreign Office said a ministerial-level meeting of the international Friends of Yemen group will take place in Saudi Arabia on May 23. Britain will co-host the meeting of the 20-member group, along with Saudi Arabia and Yemen.
The group, which last held a major meeting in New York in September 2010, will discuss Yemen’s “serious security, political, economic and humanitarian challenges,” the British ministry said.
“The recent deterioration of political cooperation in Yemen is concerning and we call upon all groups to engage constructively in transition,” it said.
Associated Press writer David Stringer in London contributed to this report.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.