Permanent Bans Unethical According to Unaffiliated Affiliation Party - Oct. 30, 2007 17 replies

Please wait...

Jellybean of Doom!

My chickens didn't die in vain

50 XP

22nd June 2004

0 Uploads

249 Posts

0 Threads

#1 11 years ago

GAMINGFORUMS.COM - The Unaffiliated Affiliation Party is expected to propose a bill before Congress outlawing the use of bans throughout the forums. This comes after the controversial banning of halenmarket, a petty Apple iPod referral spammer who was banned at 9:56 PM Eastern time tonight. The offender was pronounced permanently banned three minutes later. Computer scientists have long debated the ethics involved with capital punishment. While proponents hold fast in defending the practice by saying it is completely painless, others disagree. "There have been numerous cases where the permanent ban was not performed successfully, which therefore required a more involved treatment. Usually an alternative to the permanent ban is an IP ban. While it has a high degree of efficiency, no one knows if it inflicts any pain on the former registered member. If not careful, the effects of the ban could potentially affect a great number of innocent persons who were in the wrong place at the wrong time." Other activists call for an end to all bans based on studies indicating wide-spread discrimination against the accused. An0nymou$84, founder of AAPB, Activists Against Permanent Bans, believes this presents a major ethical dilemma. "What we are seeing is a disproportionate number of permanent bans for referral link spammers. These spammers tend to be young, in some cases just minutes old, illiterate members registering from Nigeria and China trying to sell their illegal wares. Long standing members with well-established post counts tend to receive much lesser sentences, such as a verbal reprimands, multiple times before they are sentenced to a permanent ban. We simply do not feel that such flagrant discrimination is justice being carried out correctly." Furthermore, a few activists believe that minors have not matured enough to be eligible for such harsh punishments. "The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act sets a minor's age at thirteen years. We simply do not see how banning minors can be Constitutional when they have yet to fully mature mentally and fully comprehend the actions they have carried out to warrant a ban." Proponents of the permanent ban argue that it is a deterrent that has greatly reduced the amount of crime that takes place on a forum. Ensign Riles, the executioner of the ban last night, had the following to say over a private message: "We as a staff have seen a dramatic decrease in the number of people advertising free iPods or spamming every subforum with Tubgirl. I, personally, fully support permanent bans. They are completely avoidable if they took the time to read our rules. While I feel sadness at losing a potential asset to our community, in the end it protects our good members from harm." The Unaffiliated Affiliation Party believes they have enough votes to pass a bill that would outlaw all forms of bans on the forums. When asked about possible opposition, they assured GF Times that they would filibuster until either the forums closed down or the opposition changed their stance on the vote. When n0e was interviewed and asked about the effects of the bill on future forum security, he dismissed it as empty threats. "They're going to present a bill before Congress? That's new to me and the rest of the administration. Last time I checked back in 2000, we were the law. They can fillibuster to this Congress of theirs until they are blue in the face. We'll move it to the Spam forum and have some fun fun fun with it." In other news: Forum historians have concluded that having three consecutive supermoderators, and four staff members in total, in the Currently Active Users list on October 29 is a first. A vote on creating a thread commemorating the event has not yet been set up. attachment.php?attachmentid=58786&d=1193799719Image courtesy of Ensign Riles

Jellybean of Doom!

My chickens didn't die in vain

50 XP

22nd June 2004

0 Uploads

249 Posts

0 Threads

#2 11 years ago
Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#3 11 years ago

Heh now that is an Intriguing article. But waaait a minute....There's a Mod whose called [COLOR=orange]Bite_Me!![COLOR=black]![/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black]?[/COLOR] Kinda unfriendly name for a mod now isn't it!?

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Dragonelf68

ಠ_ಠ

220,771 XP

24th September 2007

0 Uploads

19,359 Posts

0 Threads

#4 11 years ago

Interesting

kYuedqC.png

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,402 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,121 Posts

1,330 Threads

#5 11 years ago

The Permanent Banning program was created when our previous program of tracking down and killing the members got low scores from several groups testing the program.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

The-Bleh-Bleh

Hasselhoff is my hero

50 XP

12th December 2006

0 Uploads

6,189 Posts

0 Threads

#6 11 years ago

These "testing groups" are just big fat phonies. Do what you must until government intervention takes place.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#7 11 years ago

but how will we stop spamahoy?

Comet_buster

Magic and Soap

50 XP

12th December 2006

0 Uploads

5,709 Posts

0 Threads

#8 11 years ago

oh shut up about that idiot will you!

Ensign Riles VIP Member

No! I'm Spamacus!

426,516 XP

17th June 2003

0 Uploads

39,479 Posts

1 Threads

#9 11 years ago
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.;4008006The Permanent Banning program was created when our previous program of tracking down and killing the members got low scores from several groups testing the program.

I'd like to know who some of these groups are. They sound a little delusional to me...

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,012 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#10 11 years ago
Ensign Riles;4008451I'd like to know who some of these groups are. They sound a little delusional to me...

Never heard of the Forum-Gestapo?