Draco_2k

A spark of freedom

50 XP

18th August 2005

0 Uploads

1,029 Posts

0 Threads

#51 13 years ago

LOG 50 votes so far, with the majority still eager (more or less) to get new UT right away. Both forums and Epic lay quiet, last one not really into releasing a single word about Envy's techncial or visual aspects, nor the process or the performance... Speaking of which, you might want to visit this thread (sue me for placing stupid ads, I know) - about improving your peformance without any software/hardware tweaks...

...How long is this informational blockade going to last last anyway? [COLOR=DimGray] [ 1-13; 2-8; 3-9; 4-7; 5-8; 6-3; 7-0; 8-2; 9-0 ][/COLOR] LOG

Vertigo

Heel commentator

50 XP

24th October 2002

0 Uploads

1,622 Posts

0 Threads

#52 13 years ago

The next E3 is my guess (the last of which, a year ago, was the last time any major informational release was made about UT2007). I think we'll get a few little tidbits shortly before the expo opens on May 10th, then a torrent of new media and info when it opens.

Draco_2k

A spark of freedom

50 XP

18th August 2005

0 Uploads

1,029 Posts

0 Threads

#53 13 years ago

Jeez, I haven't even thought about that, you're right... Still, hope they'll release at least something before that date - I'm starving for info, personally.

So, three months to go...

Mapster

Mapping Star

50 XP

18th February 2006

0 Uploads

292 Posts

0 Threads

#54 13 years ago

Nothing over $100, coz if it is i'll just wait for it to be 60% off at EB games :D

Draco_2k

A spark of freedom

50 XP

18th August 2005

0 Uploads

1,029 Posts

0 Threads

#55 13 years ago

LOG 58 votes, evenly distributed between eagerness and awareness. Kind of strange...

Note: the Epic Tech Demo Makes No Sense thread is back up and running. A nice reading anyway.

Somebody beat me if the previous day wasn't the day of PhysX coming out... Was it? No news so far anyway. [COLOR=DimGray] [ 1-14; 2-8; 3-10; 4-10; 5-9; 6-4; 7-1; 8-2; 9-0 ][/COLOR] LOG

Draco_2k

A spark of freedom

50 XP

18th August 2005

0 Uploads

1,029 Posts

0 Threads

#56 13 years ago

LOG Serenity. Must awake interest. But no way.

*Ahem*

No grand news for now... Other than that on 22nd of March, the Ageia has finally released their PhysX card, devoted to, well, improvement of the integration of physical simulation in the games, 10,000 times better or so - something Epic overtly uses, along with 60 more other developers.

No word on how would it impact Envy's gameplay yet, but so far it's not suposed to be anything way too major - it's not Half-Life, anyway, no break-thru planes - however, the PhysX is said to be able to handle a few rather unobvious aspects of the gameplay like player \ vehicle \ weapon projectiles movement - and that's something the Epic focuses on quite really, so... We'll see.

Well, since even a newbie can notice how much velocities balance can improve the gameplay, I really hope that's something Epic considers in first place and... According to interviews so far, they do - which sure is encouraging. :D Would this be a sole reason to get physics card? I have a definite answer for that myself. :p Just as long as it ships offboard FalconDellWare and doesn't cost ~$1000, of course...

[COLOR=DimGray] [ 1-14; 2-8; 3-11; 4-10; 5-9; 6-4; 7-1; 8-2; 9-0 ][/COLOR] LOG

Draco_2k

A spark of freedom

50 XP

18th August 2005

0 Uploads

1,029 Posts

0 Threads

#57 13 years ago

LOG -2 more votes acquired, quite optimistic ones-

Not a few days ago. But the most useful part of it, as expected, is the 'supported' list (not much on it now though), a video footage and a FAQ, which is partially quoted below, hence a few important moments in Envy's case.

A physic processor is one designed specifically for the unique requirements of physics algorithms, which represent an environment that’s much different general purpose or graphics processing.
And the AGEIA PhysX processor is the first and only physics processor (PPU) available for games. The PPU calculates all of the movement and interaction in a game at incredible speeds, so that graphically-sophisticated games can have realistic “cause and effect” action. AGEIA PhysX calculates the equations of matter and force and their interaction and movement in real-time environments.
All basics covered - no GPU or CPU usage increase upon implementation; really dense tru-physical envorments (or at least so they say - if anyone seen the footage already - don't hesitate to post, since I don't know). Again, the numbers predict thousands of physical debris here an there with PhysX onboard.

The AGEIA PhysX processor is integrated into an add-in card known as a PhysX Accelerator which is manufactured and sold by today’s leading card vendors. AGEIA makes the PhysX processor, while board vendors make the PhysX Accelerator cards.

PhysX Accelerator add-in cards are available today from leading game system vendors including Dell, Alienware and Falcon Northwest and soon from top card makers BFG and ASUS.

Is that a hint of different-class cards probability already? At least it means some challenge on the market - which is generally good for price and quality of the product.

Now to the most interesting part...

PhysX accelerators are very affordable with an MSRP of $299

The powerful, yet flexible, AGEIA PhysX processor is designed toenable future enhancements via software. This makes a PhysX accelerator a great investment because gamers will get not only new PhysX-enabled games now and in the future, but the new features that AGEIA delivers via regular driver updates will run on the hardware that’s installed in PCs today.

300$!!! You can buy a nice 18' LCD, or a neat GPU, or a whole mid-range comp for that price... Not a competition for the leading-edge GPU's, though. Anyone into spending that much? But, oh well, it looks like it's worth the cash though [Rough stats: Standard CPU - ~40 simple or 2-3 complex objects in scene w/o framerate drop; PhysX - ~40,000 simple or a hundred(s) of complex objects in scene w/o framerate drop + advanced physical algorithm (more options)]. Also, updating via sofware sounds like a good idea - take how quickly today's GPU become outdated, for one.

Good thing Envy is not totally dependent on PhysX, my piggy-bank be ever-happy.

[COLOR=DimGray] [ 1-14; 2-9; 3-12; 4-10; 5-9; 6-4; 7-1; 8-2; 9-0 ][/COLOR] LOG

Vertigo

Heel commentator

50 XP

24th October 2002

0 Uploads

1,622 Posts

0 Threads

#58 13 years ago

$300 for a physics processor?? Who the hell do they think they're kidding? Even in the unlikely event that a physics processor becomes as useful as a graphics card, nobody's going to want to shell out the price of their graphics card again (the evidence being that SLI isn't in every home). Last time I heard anything about Ageia's PhysX it was supposed to be closer to the $100-150 mark, and even then it was a bit of a stretch.

Draco_2k

A spark of freedom

50 XP

18th August 2005

0 Uploads

1,029 Posts

0 Threads

#59 13 years ago

"They're kidding" is just about it (damn, they ruined my hope on getting it this decade!). Guess they'll have to drop the prices real soon if they don't want to go bankrupt (less customers = less cash) - guess the first days will be really hard for Ageia, hence all the resources spent on research, the marketing and such, which is probably the main case for pinning the prices to the sky... Well, of course, the card also uses some damn advanced technology, which also contributes to the price greatly, but... Hell, this is just a bit over the edge. :uhm: 100$? That would by far more affrodable.

WhyCare

Flight of the Chrondor

50 XP

16th March 2006

0 Uploads

17 Posts

0 Threads

#60 13 years ago

I think Ill be fine to play on high.