Vertigo

Heel commentator

50 XP

24th October 2002

0 Uploads

1,622 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

If you've got a question about UT2004 -be it bug related or otherwise- you came to the right place. Below is a list of frequently asked questions with their answers. If your question isn't here, or if you have something to add to the FAQ, please post a reply about it and this post will be duly edited. Be sure to read right through the FAQ, as the q's/a's are in order of date added. Note that most problems can be solved by looking through the Settings menu. Also, you need to download the most recent patch, this solves loads of bugs. Q1: Loading a map in multiplayer takes *ages*. Is this a bug? A1: The most likely solution is an option that's configurable in the GUI- Settings>Game>Misc>Preload All Player Skins. What this option does is load every player skin in the game into your RAM as you start a level, which prevents the game stuttering when a player with a not-previously-loaded skin enters the game, but it makes the loading times significantly longer. I personally recommend everyone to disable this option. Some people report that they still have overlong loading times after disabling Preload All Player Skins, but as far as I know no solution has yet been found. Q2: I don't like the way the crosshair changes when I select a new weapon. Is there a way to force one crosshair for all weapons? A2: Yes, using this setting: Settings>Weapons>Custom Weapon Crosshairs. The crosshair below is now the one which will be displayed when using any weapon. This page also allows you to customise your crosshair, change the weaponswitch priorities for your weapons (for Select Best Weapon or Weapon Switch On Pickup), and swap firing modes for specific weapons (eg. to make the minigun fire accurate rounds with Primary fire and more powerful, inaccurate rounds with Secondary instead of the other way round, which is default). Q3: Having problems with bot Voice Recognition. A3: Again, you're not the only one. I'm not too clear on the solution for this yet, but try the http://www.ataricommunity.com forums as there a *lot* of threads there asking about this. If anyone knows, please post the answer in this thread. Q4: Having weird problems with Voice Over IP (voice comms with other players). When someone talks, I don't hear anything, or a very short noise, or something far too quiet to hear. A4: This is a bug with the Hardware 3D Sound on some computers, sadly you have to choose between whether you want to listen to voice comms or have good-quality general sound. If voice comms is your choice, go to Settings>Audio>Audio Mode and select 3D Audio (or Safe Mode if you really want to punish your ears) from the drop-down list. Your sound quality will take a drastic hit, but framerates might be slightly improved and you'll be able to hear VoIP just fine (assuming your other settings allow it). Hopefully this bug will be addressed with the upcoming patch. Q5: Will UT2003 skins/models/maps/mods work with UT2004? A5: Skins: As long as you have the model which the skin uses (eg. there's an Agent Smith skin which uses the Hitman model which is user-made, but most skins use the models that come with the game), the skin will work- this is true of both games. All the models which came with UT2003 also come with UT2004, so most UT2003 skins will work fine with UT2004. Skins for UT2004 models that were also in UT2003 will work fine in UT2003 too. Models are another matter. All of them should generally work, but roughly half will be missing some animations: the Talking and sit-in-vehicle animations are the main ones- if the model isn't compatible, the player will appear to be standing up in the vehicle, with their head clipping with the vehicle's roof, which looks awful. There's no way of telling if a model is fully compatible until you use it in the game- the reason why half of UT2003's custom models work with UT2004 is because they use the animations that came with the game rather than custom ones. The more bizarre and non-human-like the model is, the more likely it is to use custom animations and therefore not work. This doesn't mean that all human models will work, however. Here's a list of some known fully-working UT2003 player models: Agent Smith, Animatrix Meju, Colonial Marine, Effigy. Maps: Most UT2003 maps should work with UT2004, however the loading times will be longer and there's the possibility that the map will have holes in it. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see them. When LavaGiant2 was ported to UT2004 it had so many holes in it that it had to be left out of the game, which gives you an idea of how bad the effect can be. I'd recommend only using UT2004 maps- most map authors will re-release their maps for the new game anyway. Mods: Most UT2003 mods/mutators won't work with UT2004, however there are exceptions, such as the much-loved GibLife mutator, which extends the lifespan of corpses in a map. Q6: I can't unlock the hidden characters, even after completing the single-player ladder. A6: For some people, there doesn't seem to be any way of unlocking the hidden characters legitimately, so if you complete the single-player ladder without using cheats and there are still three characters in the skin selection menu with a big ? portrait, read down to find out how to "cheat" to unlock these characters. Here's the way character-unlocking is meant to work: in the final stage of the ladder, after you've completed all the gametype-specific ladders, you will face one of three uber-teams: Xan's Corrupt, Malcolm's ThunderCrash and the Skaarj. Which team you face depends on how well they did against you in the earlier ladder games: if you wonder around the single-player interface you'll find a list of rankings for the enemy teams, most of which will be something like -0.73. The Godlike team that's done best against you by the time you've completed the gametype-specific ladders (keep in mind that most rankings are negative numbers, so -0.13 is better than -0.91, and +0.34 is better than both) is the one you'll face in the finals, and you'll face their captain in the final 1v1 match. If you can beat the captain, you unlock his skin. Keep in mind that if you cheat at any point in the ladder, you can't unlock the skin. If you want to make sure you play against a certain team in the final, wait until you've nearly finished the gametype-specific ladders, then play a friendly or bloodrites match against a team you don't want to play against, if you beat them their ranking will go down after the match. As with all other games in the UT series, there's a code in the User.ini which allows you to unlock the characters non-legitimately, if you don't want to go to all the effort of beating the game. In order to enable this, you have to have at played at least one single-player *and* multiplayer game. Go to UT2004/System and open User.ini with Notepad (not a fancy word processor like MS Word or even Wordpad, anything with fonts can potentially screw up the .ini). Use ctrl+f to search for [GUI2K4.UT2k4MainPage] , including the brackets. If you can't find it in your user.ini, you'll have to resort to the dodgy method which I will cover after this. If you find it, underneath the section you've found should be a bit saying: TotalUnlockedCharacters=. Change this to say: TotalUnlockedCharacters=MALCOLM;CLANLORD;XAN . All the hidden characters should now be unlocked. If that didn't work for you, there is a dodgy method that I wouldn't recommend. Again in UT2004/System, open xplayersL1.upl and xplayersL2.upl, again with Notepad. Before you do anything, make backups of these two files, put them in your UT2004/ folder so you can put the original files back into /System if you have problems later on (and in a few months, you probably will). Right at the top of xplayersL1 is a section headed: DefaultName="Malcolm". Look through this section until you find this bit: Menu="MALCOLM". Now delete the MALCOLM part so it looks like this: Menu="". Save and exit xplayersL1.upl. In xplayersL2.upl, search for sections headed DefaultName="ClanLord" and DefaultName="Xan". Do the same thing for both of these sections as you did with Malcolm, only the menu parts this time will read Menu="CLANLORD" and Menu="XAN" before you edit them. The reason why this isn't recommended is because cheat protectors check the main system files to see if they've been edited, so in a few months or even a year's time a cheat protector will probably come out that won't let you join online games. When this happens, simply replace the files with the backups you made. Q7: Where can I find tutorials on how to make my own mutators? A7: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki (thanks to tezzanator) or udn.epicgames.com (a site provided by Epic Games, the Unreal series' main developers). Q8: When I exit UT2004, my computer shuts down/reboots. A8: A clanmate of mine had this problem, he fixed it by installing new drivers for his graphics card (which was an Nvidia GeForce). Take a look at the website of your graphics card and try downloading the most recent drivers for your card. If this doesn't work, make a post in these forums, because someone else might have found another solution (or you might have to install specific drivers instead of the most recent ones). Q9: I can't install ut4mod files in UT2004. A9: Apparently installing the ECE Bonus Pack can mess up your UT2004 installation, so if you get this problem, try reinstalling the 3339 UT2004 patch. (thanks to radiomsc) Note that you might have accidentally downloaded a mod for another game: umods work with Unreal and Unreal Tournament, ut2mods work for UT2003 and ut4mods work for UT2004. -->If someone doesn't answer a question you ask in the forums, don't get mad, it usually means nobody knows. Changelog: 31/Jan/05: Embellished A7, added changelog :P 21/Jan/05: Added and removed various sections due to patches fixing issues.

fishybobbins

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

27th May 2004

0 Uploads

1 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

[B]Q:How can i use mods??

Agressor

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

2nd June 2004

0 Uploads

1 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago
MoonWolf

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

25th August 2004

0 Uploads

21 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

How do you open UT2004/System?

Vertigo

Heel commentator

50 XP

24th October 2002

0 Uploads

1,622 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Go to Start>Run and then enter c:/ut2004/system. You can also get there by going to My Computer, clicking the C:/ drive, clicking UT2004, then System.

Nittany Tiger Forum Mod

*Shrug*

289,096 XP

15th September 2004

0 Uploads

27,136 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago

I think that a lot people have trouble installing mods manually because they do not know exactly where the files go. Though sometimes you can find that info in the readme, I think that it would be a good idea to post it here in the FAQ so that everyone will have a common place to look this information up and make it easier for them to manually install mods. Here are the file types and where they belong within the folders of the UT2004 folder (when you go to windows explorer or my computer and select your hard drive, you should see the folder). This does not include folders that may be made by certain mods (usually total conversion mods). You can tell the file's type by looking at the letters that follow the . in the file name (ex: blahblahblah.ext. This would be an .ext file. These may not exist so don't worry about them). - .ukx files belong in the Animations folder. - Don't worry about the Benchmarks folder. - Don't worry about the Cache folder. - .ifr files belong in the ForceFeedback folder, but I've never seen them in mods so I doubt that you will see them either, so don't worry about it. - Readmes and any pictures that come with a mod, level, etc go in the Help folder,but those files are not necessary to run whatever you are trying to run, so putting the above mentioned files in the Help folder is purely optional. - .ka files go in the KarmaData folder - Don't worry about the Manual folder - Any and all map files go in the Maps folder. These files will usually have the UT logo as their filepicture. - .ogg files go in the Music Folder. - readmes can also go into the Readme folder, but again, placing the readme into either of these folders if at all is optional. - .uvx files go in the Saves folder. This is where your single-player save game files are located. You probably should not see any .uvx files in most UT maps, mods, etc. you are trying to install. - Don't worry about the ScreenShots folder. This is where the screenshots go when you take them (press F9 anywhere in the game including the main menu to take a screenshot). - .uax files go in the Sounds folder - .uc files go in the Source folder. Again, you may never see this filetype when installing UT maps, mods, etc. - Don't worry about the Speech folder. - .usx files go in the StaticMeshes folder - .dll, Configuration Settings (), .dmp, .est, .frt, .int, .itt, .kot, .det (May be called Office Data files), .u, .uc, .ucl, .upl, and .uz2 files (and any other file that may not go in any other folder in the UT2004 directory) all go in the System folder. Most of the time, you will see only .u, .ucl, and .itt files in the mods, maps, etc. you are trying to install. - .utx files go in the Textures folder. - Don't worry about the UserLogs folder. - Don't worry about the Web folder. Another thing: sometimes when you extract a file to a specific folder, it may create its own folder within the folder and put the file in there (ex: telling winzip or winamp to extract a file to a StaticMeshes folder and, during the extraction, another folder named StaticMeshes is created in the StaticMeshes folder and the file is placed in the new StaticMeshes subfolder). This will cause certain features of your installed app.* or your entire app not to work properly. Thus, if you can't get a map, mod, etc. to work and you are sure that you extracted the files for the app.* into the proper folder, go back and check and see if a subfolder was created within the correct folder and the file placed in there. If this occurs, manually place the file in the correct folder and delete the now empty subfolder. Afterwards, your app.* should work fine. *(app. = map, mod, etc.) One final thing: if you ever download a file with the .7z extension, it is actually a zip folder zipped in the 7zip format. In order to unzip the file, you will need the 7zip compressor. It is free (I think, or it is unlimited-trial shareware) and you can find it at (link coming soon). I hope that this helps you all immensely.smilie.gif

Vertigo

Heel commentator

50 XP

24th October 2002

0 Uploads

1,622 Posts

0 Threads

#7 13 years ago

Cheers. :)

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#8 13 years ago

i am trying to install some new bots to play against in the single player game, (i refuse to play multi-player over a 56k connection :( and while they show up just fine as skins to play with at the start of the ladder, only two of the four show up as hirable mercenaries...now i know that if i use the same naming scheme as the bots that come with the game, they should work, even if i change the model, script, and everything else- but does can anyone tell me why these other two bots aren't working? i mean, i really need these guys to keep the game interesting :( LOL

Nittany Tiger Forum Mod

*Shrug*

289,096 XP

15th September 2004

0 Uploads

27,136 Posts

0 Threads

#9 13 years ago

Exactly what files are you trying to install?

spellweaver

Vivisection is FUN

50 XP

5th June 2005

0 Uploads

30 Posts

0 Threads

#10 13 years ago

Have recently bought UT2004 and proceeded to download some mean looking mods and mutators - but, having some probs. Some of the modules that you need to run open but then dont do anything (*.ut4mod) - wots the problem? Also 2 of the 5 mod downloads are stating that my CD key is invalid - how can it be? its brand new and the others are running fine - any help folks will be greatly appreciated.