Got a question for any model makers out there. -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 12 years ago

Ok, I hope this isn't in the wrong section, but I only registered to ask a few questions. First off, I am completely new to model making, and only wish to fool around and see if I can do what I'm pictureing in my head. So first question. I and a few friends have tried finding an answer to this question, and we've come up with nothing so far. Is there a way to take an existing model from the game and edit that? An example of what I want to try doing with one of the models, using the model of Damarus and make a maskless version of it. I have the MayaPLE program that came with the game and a friend suggesting also using blender and Blender.org. So is it possible to use one of the existing models with one of these programs? I can't figure a way to get the meshes or anything to load without getting a "unrecognized file type" message. One of my friends who does practice with modeling can't even answer this. I've found countless walkthroughs and explanations on making a model from scratch, but nothing about taking a model from a game and editing it from there. (Not to mention I can't get anything other than maps to load on UnrealED which I am assuming is supposed to work like that.) Any help would be very appriciated as I have no clue where else to try finding an answer. I'm not looking for anyone to do anything for me as one of my friends offered already, just something I want to try doing and need some information to start.

crackpatch

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

31st December 2003

0 Uploads

158 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

from what I know ut packs everything together, meaning an utx file can contain several files etc, in the unreal editor, export the model u want to change, I can't help u much further :(

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#3 12 years ago

Hmmm...Thats just it though. For UnrealED I can only get maps to open. I can't get any character models or things like that to open. (I was assuming thats how it is supposed to be, am I wrong?) The only program I can get the model viewable in is Upaint, but that has the textures of the head, body, and the full model with texture viewable. Those are upp files, and that program only allows me to export textures. I wish there was a way just to edit with that program other than painting. What would I need to open in UnrealED to get the model so I could export it? I've tried opening meshes, textures, all that stuff and they don't show up. Just the maps are viewable. I'm just trying to find a way to get the model into Maya or Blender(preferabl Maya since it seems a bit more user friendly) so I can add/take off/edit the model they already have. Hmmmm. Thanks for tryin' to help though. Maybe this'll help explain further what I'm trying to do...or I may be repeating myself...I don't know anymore.

Lulolwen

Mercutio

50 XP

13th July 2005

0 Uploads

149 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

Blender can be used to do static meshes only at this point in time, but I remember hearing something about a PSK exporter (the file type UnrealEd's animation browser can open) being in the works.

I don't know of any way to modify pre-existing models other than reskinning them. To open character models, go to the Animations browser. If I remember right, it's the little A in the toolbar at the top. You have to load a .uax (or maybe .ukx, my mind is going today) file from the "UT2004\Animations" folder to get to them. You can't edit them, but you can change the mesh's properties- what texture, where the "bone" that the weapon attaches to is, et cetera.

If you want to make a full character model though, I suggest you work in Maya 5 PLE at the moment. The plugins that come on the 6th disc or the "CD6" folder of the DVD allow you to import straight to UnrealEd. I also recommend starting with static meshes: They're easier to texture, oftentimes easier to build, and require no animation. Once you've got a handle on the 3D stuff, move up to building your own character.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#5 12 years ago

Hmm...I'll check out the thing with blender. I was just watching the tutorials that came on the disk...helpful, but not for what I want to do. There's nothing I really want to make as far as my own character goes.

I would have thought though that you could work on a preexisting model considering there are models out there that looks like people just edited the one from the game. Such as someone turning a Gen Mo'kai into a werewolf...or something like that. Hmmm. Maybe someone else will have heard of something. Thanks anyway. I'll go check out that thing you said about Blender.