darksideplayer

KAME

50 XP

18th April 2004

0 Uploads

47 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

Through playing all the Unreal Tournament games, which one has the best gameplay. Based on single player and online experiences? Personally the original game seemed the best to me, however the vehicles in 2004, damn they're good!

Sh0wdowN

Skeptic Extraordinaire.

50 XP

31st December 2003

0 Uploads

7,942 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really liked UT2003.

Vertigo

Heel commentator

50 XP

24th October 2002

0 Uploads

1,622 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

Man, you really liked UT2003...

Well, it's a question with many answers. As a game, Unreal Tournament is the best. The thought put into the back-story, the saga of climbing the ladder to challenge the unbeatable and nasty-bugger Xan (not to mention the ludicrously hard fight to put pay to that particular challenge), the fantastic AI (which in my opinion is better than that in the subsequent games), the atmosphere/graphical style, the map/character design... it was basically the exact same-genre opposite of Quake 3; especially as its only real flaw was its abominable weapon balance (which, for all its faults, is not a criticism you can level at Q3). Because, while UT was a lovingly crafted game and a total joy to play, the guns frankly sucked. Overpowered, skill-draining and ensuring that any fights lasted no more than 5 seconds.

UT2004, on the other hand, has fantastic gameplay balance, and the expanded dodging abilities allow you to engage in lengthy duels which drastically drain the effects of luck. Despite this being by far the best competitive game of the series (ie. the one you want to play with your clanmates rather than absorb like a movie), it's lumbered with the nasty affliction of having very few really decent maps, and unfortunately the atmosphere and loving craft are still suffering from the nuclear hit they took in UT2003. Epic's decision with UT2003 to try to veer the series away from the sci-fi epic roots into the e-sports dimension was phenominally ill-advised, and despite Epic making some effort to inject the Unreal universe back into UT2004, this game is still essentially UT2003-expanded.

UT2003 had nice menus though. =D.gif

Kuba17

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

5th April 2004

0 Uploads

49 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

Ive played all of them and i think 2004 is the best. I like the weapons in the first the best, but the graphics a so friggin bad i can play itt their worse then half life.Ut2003 was also cool, but ut2004 has vehicles and over 1oo maps.

Master of Reality

I'm lying when I say trust me

50 XP

8th June 2004

0 Uploads

10,166 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Definatly, Unreal Tournament 2004. Plus you can get the Red Orchestra mod. Infact, UT2004 was so good, how are they going to surpass it in greatness for Unreal Tournament 2005?

Vertigo

Heel commentator

50 XP

24th October 2002

0 Uploads

1,622 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

Personally I think the next UT we see will be titled UT2007. 2006 at the earliest, but I think the next game will be using the next-generation Unreal Engine 3, which means the game will have to be built from scratch (and consequently take longer). Let's hope they don't repeat old mistakes...

Mastershroom VIP Member

Frag Out!

153,685 XP

18th November 2004

0 Uploads

14,196 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

I liked the old-school one, it was just so fun and the rocket launcher was actually good. But I also love 2004 for the vehicles.

Victor

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

13th November 2004

0 Uploads

20 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

Advancements in technology, game play and graphics just say there is no doubt that UT2004 takes the lead by far.

MVL.

Sh0wdowN

Skeptic Extraordinaire.

50 XP

31st December 2003

0 Uploads

7,942 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

Well, I still like UT2003, glad I have your support :lookaround:

darksideplayer

KAME

50 XP

18th April 2004

0 Uploads

47 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

i agree that the graphics weren't that good on in unreal tournament, but the gameplay made up for the lack of perfection enjoyed in ut2004. also for the interest of everyone, i remember reading somewhere that ut2005 will not be happening as they makers plan on using the unreal 3 engine, which will not be ready for ut2005 to come out, instead ut2006 will be the next game in the series.

the ut2004 game just took what unreal tournament had and changed it into something better, well at least by adding vehicles. but which has the best maps out of the 3 games?