UT Forum Thread Revival Guidelines (Please read before you post in old threads). -1 reply

Please wait...

Nittany Tiger Forum Mod

*Shrug*

289,095 XP

15th September 2004

0 Uploads

27,136 Posts

0 Threads

#1 13 years ago

There has been a bit of confusion about the rules for bumping or reviving old threads in these forums. Thus, I want to post some information and guidelines (not rules) about old posts here. There is no master rule in the Gaming Forum FAQ about posting in old threads. The rules for posting in old threads differ from forum to forum in here and are usually set by the forum moderator(s), so if you are unsure about posting in a thread that has not been active in, say, 2 weeks, and you are unsure if it is ok, PM the mod about it or find the sticky thread about the posting in old thread rules if one exists. As a rule of thumb for most of the gaming-specific forums and a few Chit-Chat forums, the posting of old thread rules follow common sense (in other words, don't post in a thread that is 3 years old unless the forum is really dead). Most of the Chit-Chat forums do have thread revival rules, so please find them and read them before you post in a relatively old thread. Don't worry if a mod gets on you about bumping and old thread as an occasional violation will not go against you. It's if you continue to bump old threads in that forum after the moderator has recently warned you that gets you in trouble. In short, be aware of the rules about posting in old threads in each forum, and use common sense if you are not sure. Also, be sure how strict the rules really are (exceptions), but don't break or bend the rules to find the strictness out. With that said, I would like to post some guidelines involving reviving old threads in this forum. These are not rules as in they have a lot of leeway depeding on the current situation. Ultimately, though, it is me and Vertigo's decision about closing bumped threads. If you have an objection, feel free to contact us. Guidelines for reviving old threads: 1. You can post in a thread that has not been active for 2-4 weeks as long as the post is relevant to the topic. 2. You can post in a thread that has not been active for longer than 4 weeks as long as the post is relevant to the topic and the thread creator or person asking the question has frequented the Gaming Forums (or FileFront Forums as it is now called) in the past 2 weeks. If you violate these guidelines, the thread you posted in will be closed unless it is seen fit not to close it. Repeatedly posting in old threads may get you a warning. Reviving old threads with spam will get you a warning. Also, don't report a bad post in here if someone revives a 4 week old thread unless they have spammed it or you really feel that it needs to be brought to our attention. Finally, if GF decides to make a general rule set regarding reviving old threads, whether specific to this forum or for all forums, they will override these guidelines. I will post or you can post if or when that happens. Again, see these thread revival guidelines as common sense guidelines and not rules. I won't be tyrranical with them, so don't worry about posting in an old thread if you are answering someone's question as I won't do anything except maybe say something to you about it since you are dispensing help to that person. The more helpful people we have on this forum, the better :) . Remember these guidelines apply only to this forum and this forum only. Thanks. :) . Temp Note: Feel free to edit this, delete this, or PM me about it Vertigo as I did make it up without you here but I would like for you to see it have us come to a conclusion about it.

Nittany Tiger Forum Mod

*Shrug*

289,095 XP

15th September 2004

0 Uploads

27,136 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

Shortened Version of Above Post: My co-mod stated that the above post is too long and complex, and I agree with him, so I am making a shorter post here with the key points of the thread revival guidelines. I'll leave the above post up there for your reading pleasure if I can. Thread Revival Guidelines: These are not meant to be strict rules but just general guidelines for reviving old threads. They are flexible but only to a point.

1. You can post in a thread that has not been active for 2-4 weeks as long as the post is relevant to the topic.

2. You can post in a thread that has not been active for longer than 4 weeks as long as the post is relevant to the topic and the thread creator or person asking the question has frequented the Gaming Forums (or FileFront Forums as it is now called) in the past 2 weeks.

Above all, though, if a mod, supermod, etc. decides to close a revived thread, do not make a complaint thread about it as it will be deleted. Instead, if you believe that the thread should remain open, PM whoever closed the thread or a staff member stating why you think the thread should remain open. Finally, if we close an old thread that you revived, you won't get in trouble for it unless you repeatedly do it out of spite, in which action will be taken. Above all, use common sense when it comes to reviving old threads. Thanks :)