ElectricHead

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

24th December 2002

0 Uploads

11 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

Here are some rules when using/ working with Artillery pcs. N00Bs take note , please:

1) Tracked Artillery may look like a Tank, but it is not a Tank. DO NOT drive an Artillery Track out into the middle of a battle, it will last about 2 seconds. 2) If you come across Tracked Artillery with one person in the Gunners seat, DO NOT move the vehicle unless asked to do so. I can't count the times I have worked my way to a nice hill or gulley and am all ready to get a Scout spot, when some fool moves me; its happened while I was firing. If you need transport, get a Jeep. The Tracked stuff will shoot about 2- 2.5 grid squares in distance. Park accordingly. 3) If you see a pc of Tracked Artillery on the move with one person in the drivers seat, DO NOT jump in the Gunners seat unless asked to do so. Even tho there are two places in Tracked Artillery, its really a one person vehicle. 4) Scouts. I only need you to shout for Artillery ONCE EVERY TWO MINUTES. Unless you see a really ripe target or get a better angle/ postion, wait the two minutes, ok please?? 5) Scouts part 2. A moving Tank in the middle of an open area is NOT a good target for an Artillery piece. Center your spot on an enemy stageing area, or a vehicle cluster/ airport. Remember, Artillery shells are generally an "area effect" weapon. 6) Scouts part 3. A good Scout is hard to find. You are not an Assault Soldier. Lay low and hide. Snipe only if you have to. Take your time to get into a good postion.

If anyone has anything to add/ change, please post it here. I know I left out Naval and Island Gun Batterys, any comments on those will be helpful.

EH

VonMeyer

Waiting for Forgotten Hope 2

50 XP

22nd October 2002

0 Uploads

2,212 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

Number 1 is so true. On battle of the bulge allied or axis i call for art i get a target then someone happens to be driving it when im trying to hit that taregt. You know what happens i get blown away by a panzer or sherman. I guess people dont realize that one tank shell from a Panzer tiger sherman or M10 would just make that artillery would demolish it.

HostageOw

Bites if provoked

50 XP

6th September 2002

0 Uploads

446 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

Well said ElectricHead! So many times have I flamed in irritation when "l337 d3wd" gets in the drivers seat and hauls ass to the enemies frontline bases. Thusly, I started putting dynamite in a certain spot, so if some jackass jumps in and takes off I just TK him =P. Sure sure, call me a hypocrit, but i'm not! If the guy is retarded enough to drive a paper-mache gokart into napalm, he deserves to die! :fistpunch:

To add just a bit, an experience I had on Iwo Jima, while aboard the Prince of Whales. NOOBs, take note please: 1) For the love of flaming, tapdancing religious dieties, do NOT assume that everybody uses the battleships/destroyers as a stepping stone to the ground battle. Accordingly, do NOT park the ship within spittin' distance of the shoreline. Not only does it make it hard to get the ship AWAY from land, but you're a stunningly easy target for snipers, defguns, and enemy aircraft. Enemy ships as well, since you'll only be able to move as fast as a well-beached whale. 2) When driving a battleship/destroyer, keep in mind that the rear cannons are USELESS when pointed towards water. Thusly, try parking the ship paralell to the shoreline you're closest too. Now, that's only for the battleship, because both cannon seats can do artillery fire. If you're in the Destroyer, give the rear cannon seat some love and park pretty much perpindicular with the rear facing the mainland.

Now, from map to map you have varying places that make good artillery posts. For example: Wake Island: My favorite place to park for artillery is basically right where the Destroyer spawns, provided air support is keeping the defguns down. If not, I tend to move it to the right side of the map, out at sea. This place has basically no defgun coverage near the shore (landing boats can make it without getting vaporized), and you can hit most every cap point (provided a scout assists) Iwo Jima: The spot that the POW spawns isn't a bad spot really, since you can hit the airfield and mountain flags, which are the most important (imho) For more coverage, however, you can move it to the exact same spot on the OTHER side of the island. This gives you the most coverage over the entire island, but also makes you a bit more vulnerable to defguns (2 can hit you now, rather than just 1) Battle of Midway: Dont bother wasting time with naval artillery on this map, use it to blow the crap out of the enemy navy. My personal favorite tactic is to take a destroyer, then drive RIGHT up next to your target. If you do it right, you'll be able to take down a battleship with little damage =p If not though.. Guadalcanal: Going by standards of coverage, the best spot to park seems to be in the middle of the map, rear gun pointed towards shore. This'll give you some nice coverage over the center of the map. For airfield coverage, its simple: .[COLOR=red]For Axis[/COLOR], park on the north side of the allied base, rear pointing towards shore. This'll enable you to hit the airfield AND mainbase, but also puts you in convenient position for taxiing aircraft; therefore, I recommend parking north of the islands tip, perpindicular to it, so the artillery can nail the main base and the front cannon can hit the aircraft.[COLOR=blue]For allies[/COLOR], park a bit on the south. This position allows you to hit more of the base, but if you prefer to whack the airfield, park pretty much wherever you want, though i'd recommend parallel to the airfield, so the front guns can whack the airplanes, and the rear artillery can whack the bulk of their base.

I think thats about it.. of course, modify this info to the desired circumstances, you noob you!

WOO! Texty :dance:

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

Well said. The smacktards on some maps are the pits. Had one the other day who grabbed the arty while I was using it and drove it over to the irfield so a he could fly away. Not only that he rolled the bugger while doing it.

:cya: :cya: :cya:

ElectricHead

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

24th December 2002

0 Uploads

11 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

Yeah Hostage the boats...

Please PLEASE keep the boats away from the shore! One other thing I see too much of is the Navy splitting up. Thats a major no-no. With the exception of the Sub, keep the Navy together. Use the Destroyer to screen the Carrier and keep the Battleship in a postion to react to any threats. The Sub can go hunting usually; thats what they are best at. Try and keep everything layered, so the enemy has to go thru several pieces of hardware before he can even see his goal.

By the way, a Scout in one of the landing boats can be very useful to glass an enemy ship from the water. Try and stay just in sight and spot...the Battleship should be able to engage without being seen :D

Another fun tactic is to find the enemy Carrier and board it...then spot it or any nearby enemy ships right from its deck.

EH