{)arknight

I Will Kill If Challenged

50 XP

15th October 2003

0 Uploads

91 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

Hello Everyone, I was wondering how to record movies while playing Battlefield 1942. If you can tell me how thank you.

General Iceman

Who Dares Wins

50 XP

25th July 2003

0 Uploads

69 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

Mr. Greg's "Complete N00b's Guide To Making BF1942 Movies"

Since I'm asked this question constantly, and many people ask about it on the forums, I figured I'd make a guide. Feel free to post with any added tips/tricks/etc.

Before we start, Download the following programs:

Fraps: http://www.fraps.com

VirtualDub: http://www.virtualdub.org/

Tmpg Enc: http://www.tmpgenc.net/

Free Divx Codec: http://www.divx.com

Step 1: First and foremost, you're going to need Hard Drive space. I reccomend at least 2 Gigabytes free before you start, as your Raw recordings (Explained later) will take up A LOT of space. Open Fraps, and configure the menu to look like mine:

The FPS tab can be anything you want; The higher you go, the more your system lags when you record it, however the lower you go, the worse the video quality is.

Step 2: While Fraps is active (You'll see a little icon in your System Tray, it usually says "99", plus your FPS will be shown in the upper left-hand corner of your screen when you're playing), start BF1942. The first thing you'll need to do In-Game is convert your Resolution to 640 x 480 x 32. Now I know most people run it at 800 x 600 x 32, and the drop to a lower resolution may make the game look worse. Don't worry, it won't affect how your video will look at all, trust me.

Step 3: Get ready to record. Setup your game however you want, and don't worry about having to start recording and stopping at a split second. We'll use a tool later that allows us to edit our video we record, so we can cut out parts we don't want. At this step, if you want, you can disable the Hud; The command is game.useHUD 0 to turn off, and game.useHUD 1 to turn it back on.

Step 4: Press F9, and do what you want! The FPS in the corner of the screen will turn to "REC" to tell you that you're recording. Don't worry, the REC won't appear in your videoes. Once you're finished, press F9, and it will stop recording.

Step 5: Exit BF1942, and go to your folder where you've installed Fraps. You'll see a whopping 200 MB + Video file. This is called "Raw Video," because you just recorded it and it is unedited, thus the extremely large filesize.

Step 6: Time to edit our movie. Open VirtualDub, then open your Raw AVI. Use the little scroll bar at the bottom to explore your movie. Here's how to delete stuff: Let's say you have a section you want to delete. move the scroll bar to the beginning of the section you want to delete, and click this button: . Next, move the scroll bar to the end of the section you want to delete, and click this button: . Now, press the Delete Button (NOT the Backspace button, the Delete button, which should be somewhere above the Arrow buttons on your Keyboard). Now, keep in mind, this is a silent film. If you want a song playing in the background, click the Audio menu, and select WAV Audio, then have it point to your song, in WAV format. If you don't have a song in WAV format, it's in, say, .mp3, you'll have to convert it. I'll cover that later, because my hands are getting tired... After you're done, click Save As AVI under the File menu, and save it.

Step 7: Now, as you may have noticed, our movie is huge, more than 100 MB. That's because it's still Raw, Uncompressed AVI. Now we're going to use that Divx codec I made you download. Open Tmpg Enc (If that stupid "Wizard" pops up, click Cancel), then look at the 3 bars at the bottom that say Video Source, Audio Source, and Output File Name. Click the Browse button next to the Video Source box, and select your movie. The Audio Source box and Output File Name should automatically be filled in to your movie path when you select the movie in the Video Source column. If not, copy and paste the path from the Video Source to the Audio Source. Then, in the Output File Name Column, rename your file to what you want it to be called.

Step 8: Now, we compress. Click File, Output To File, AVI File. A little menu will pop up. If you don't see "Divx codec" in the Video box, click the Setting box and select it from the pulldown menu. Click Save, and relax. You're done.

Leave Tmpg Enc alone for a while, it takes some time to save. Once it's done, you'll have a good quality, Divx-compressed video saved and ready to go.

Now let my fingers rest, and some other time I'll type some follow-ups on how to convert .mp3 to .wav, how to add text to your videoes, etc...

Like I said, if any of you want to contribute to this, feel free.

I Got this from www.bf1942files.com on the left hand menu under battlefield 1942 then under Tutorials & FAQs then clicking on Making BF Movies.

DC2002

DC2002 A.K.A Vassili[IL]-GG-

50 XP

10th February 2003

0 Uploads

1,356 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

Stop opening these threads, I've seen at least 4 this weak with exactly the same question. Do a search!

{)arknight

50 XP

15th October 2003

0 Uploads

91 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

Iceman, Which Fraps do I wanna get: 1.9A 1.9D or the 2.0.0 Demo?

{)arknight

50 XP

15th October 2003

0 Uploads

91 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Which VirtualDub Do I Want: Release build -- 1.5.10 (stable) or Source code

General Iceman

Who Dares Wins

50 XP

25th July 2003

0 Uploads

69 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

You want Fraps 1.9D because you can film as long as you want with it, but it doesnt record sound. Fraps 2.0.0 demo you can only film for 15 seconds but it does record sound.

So either you have 15 seconds of film with sound or u put your mic next to you speakers and press record then press record with fraps and you have fraps for ages and sound. (note turn off msn if u put ur mic next to you speakers because u will get the beep noise otherwise.)

Oh yea or you can buy the license for $29.95 and have sound and unlimited recording time.

I hope that helps.

mEkImIrMe

Happy to be back

50 XP

8th August 2002

0 Uploads

4,759 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

You can use fraps with any game and I think you can even record Windows Explorer. I have the full version and it is really worth it.

DC2002

DC2002 A.K.A Vassili[IL]-GG-

50 XP

10th February 2003

0 Uploads

1,356 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

My friend bought fraps 2.0 and I'm using it as well, it is great. Barely any lag compared to previous versions, and you can record sound. If you want to film something and you don't have the money to buy fraps 2.0, or you just don't want to, then get 1.9D from www.fraps.com