Weekly Poll Results - Do you think the holiday season is celebrated in the Star

Published by theStarfleetKid 9 years ago , last updated 1 year ago

Do you think the holiday season is celebrated in the Star Trek timeline?

Yes, definitely. Christmas and New Years' are timeless Earth traditions for all. 43.1% (145)
Both of these holidays will still be celebrated, just not nearly as big. 21.1% (71)
Not everyone celebrates Christmas now, and in the future it won't be as widely celebrated. New Years 11.3% (38)
Neither of these holidays will be celebrated by the time of Star Trek. 11.3% (38)
The "new year" concept will fade away as stardates are introduced, but Christmas will alwa 9.5% (32)
I hate the holiday season so much that I wouldn't want to live in a future where this still happens 3.5% (12)
Start: 12-24-2008 17:10
Last: 01-02-2009 08:02

#1 - Posted by: CanadianBorg (Member) on 12-24-2008 at 17:27

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night. *Clinks glasses and keels over* -CanadianBorg P.S. Resistance is futile, eh?

#2 - Posted by: IKS_Yo_Mama (Staff) on 12-24-2008 at 17:42

Woah deja'vu, I remember a poll very similar to this..think it was last years Armada 2 poll though could have been some other site, now I've got myself a temporal headache...:p Merry Christmas from the Klingon Empire

#3 - Posted by: theStarfleetKid (Staff) on 12-25-2008 at 07:53

Hey, I dunno, I just got here. :lol: Anyway, sorry two of the poll options seem to have been cut off. I'll fix that first chance I get. :cool:

#4 - Posted by: IKS_Yo_Mama (Staff) on 12-25-2008 at 10:06

Actually in DS9, they celebrated a Bajor festival called Peldor Festival around December (Tears of the Prophets) so I suspect they celebrated Christmas

#5 - Posted by: undedavenger (Member) on 12-25-2008 at 20:43

Well, since the idea of god seemed to be a familiar one in several episodes, not to mention ST:TMP and ST5, I'd say it will pretty much be the same. Star Trek tends to abandon Earth customs and show alien ones, but it would be logical to presume that some form of december holiday and the new year will still be recognized.

#6 - Posted by: _dEjavU_ (Member) on 12-26-2008 at 02:29

Celebrating Christmas and New Years is part of being human(no matter what point it'll be our future). I believe that as we venture more and more towards the blackness void of space(further and further away from Earth)the more we tend to hang on to our humanity, that which seperates and distinguishes us from the rest of the other santient species out there in the cosmos. ;)

#7 - What??..Are You Serious?! - Posted by: borgannex (Member) on 12-27-2008 at 06:51

Of course, Among humans Christmas was still the most celebrated holiday in fact it was so popular that some of the other federation races started celebrating it...BTW Happy Holidays everyone!!!:)

#8 - Posted by: ameba (Member) on 12-29-2008 at 01:03

a celebration day where people dont have to work will never be given up. but, on the other hand, a federation of planets will have so many "special" days to celebrate, the will hardly find time to work at all.

#9 - Picard had a Christmas moment in Generations. - Posted by: PreciousRoy (Member) on 12-31-2008 at 14:54

In the time ribbon thingy in Star Trek: Generations, Picard had a Christmas moment with an imagined wife and children, which I suppose is validation that Christmas lives in the 25th Century.

#10 - Posted by: Return_of_Elrond (Member) on 12-31-2008 at 22:29

I think that these holidays will probably be celebrated in the future, but it will probably not be celebrated as widely, or as much as it is now. With time, humans will begin to dispense with old traditions and make new ones. The Christmas holiday has changed traditions and rituals a lot in the last 1,000 years, and that will probably hold true 400 years from now as well. The Christmas Tree may be replaced by a "Christmas Log" or something. Who knows?:D

#11 - Posted by: HighGuardKnight (Member) on 12-31-2008 at 23:49

PreciousRoy beat me to it lol. i wa gonna say about Generations having the christmas day scene

#12 - Posted by: CanadianBorg (Member) on 01-01-2009 at 16:31

Happy New Year, everyone! W00t, it's 2009! :rock::rock::rock: -CanadianBorg P.S. Resistance is futile, eh?