Weekly Poll Results - Lately we've seen two mods for the Aegian class. The stock

Published by theStarfleetKid 9 years ago , last updated 1 year ago

Lately we've seen two mods for the Aegian class. The stock Aegian is:

A decent design concept poorly executed, and now perfected in mod form. 28% (72)
Just another Federation weakling meant only for destruction / assimilation. 23.3% (60)
Terrible, but the recent mods of it at least make it passable. 21% (54)
The ugliest Starfleet design ever. It has no place in my game in any form. 20.2% (52)
Always an essential part of my game, just for the shield recharger. 7.3% (19)
Start: 01-18-2009 08:09
Last: 01-25-2009 16:27

#1 - Posted by: CanadianBorg (Member) on 01-18-2009 at 08:36

It's a nice concept, surely, but Activision royally screwed it up. I really like Aad's new version of it though. -CanadianBorg P.S. Resistance is futile, eh?

#2 - Posted by: Jetfreak (Member) on 01-18-2009 at 09:15

A decent class of ship. Honestly, I've never ommited her from my personal mod.

#3 - Posted by: 1_Beta_1 (Member) on 01-18-2009 at 10:27

She's still in my version...but i don't think ive ever built her shes ugly ship, but the recently releases of her, have been pretty nice 10/10 for them

#4 - Posted by: HighGuardKnight (Member) on 01-18-2009 at 10:52

Of the two, I prefer dan's but I will admit to being slightly biased on that count. That said, I like the enlarged saucer on Aad's - i think a combination of both of these revamps would really salvage this design :)

#5 - Posted by: adm_tyler (Member) on 01-18-2009 at 11:07

To put it simply, I never replace it with a new ship. It is only ever replaced with a better looking version of the same ship.

#6 - Posted by: Freyr (Member) on 01-18-2009 at 12:30

Well, I don't really care about the looks, i'm more interested in its function. And, for that reason I think the aegian is useless. Its weapons are sub standard even by federation standards, its shields are to weak to stand in fleet combat and as its build from the advanced shipyard its to expensive to send after smaller ships both in material costs and the fact it ties down the advanced shipyard from building a useful warship. Its shield enhancer thing is useless as well, it can't charge shields as quickly as they are damaged and if you are repairing a fleet after a fight then a shipyard is the easiest way of getting a ship back to full strength. All in all, useless.

#7 - Posted by: Vice_Admiral_Svar (Member) on 01-18-2009 at 16:49

Frankly, I think that she'd have been a lot better if Activision would've followed any ship building procedure. (A) She's called a frigate. Her size and shipyard placement suggest otherwise, they say that she's a battlecruiser. Frigates are very small, disposable ship designed to escort larger ships or convoys. Battlecruisers are large, powerful ships, though with a glass jaw. They are designed for commerce raiding and chasing down and eliminating smaller ships, while still having the firepower to engage other battlecruisers and battleships, though running from battleships is preferable due to their light armour. The Aegian posseses the speed, size, and armour (though thinly-veiled, even for a battlecruiser) to be a battlecruiser, however, they're just about as weakly armed and disposable as a Sabre or true frigates (ie, Bird of Prey, Shrike class, etc). She could've, or rather should've, been built to the specifications of a battlecruiser, she would be much more useful.

#8 - Posted by: thunderfoot006 (Member) on 01-18-2009 at 18:59

Always amazes me just how quick even the hardcore Fed FanBoys will throw this little ship under the bus. Seems the only Starfleet vessel people love to hate more than this one is JJ Abrams' new Enterprise. The Aegean(nope, didn't mis-spell it) ain't that bad a ship. In its intended role as a support vessel. Just like every other races' frigate. It does not win the fight all by itself, it just helps those ships which are doing most of the fighting. I build a couple of these, just like I build a couple of the other races' frigates as well. To help out the ships which are doing the fighting. I suppose if someone made a GodShip version with a ridiculous amount of weapons and hit points, some Fed FanBoy would be gushing all over himself about what a great ship the Aegean(nope, didn't mis-spell it this time, either) really is and how he cannot imagine playing A2 without it.

#9 - Posted by: Pizza_the_Hutt (Member) on 01-19-2009 at 07:36

I don't like the stock design and I usually replace it with a canon ship like the New Orleans or Excelsior class and put a shield enhancer on that one.

#10 - Posted by: Vice_Admiral_Svar (Member) on 01-19-2009 at 07:49

I went back last night and analyzed the ship, and I noticed that she has four phaser strips on her saucer, one on each nacel, one, probably more on the ventral side of the engineering hull, and more than likely two or four aft. Now, using standard Fed designs, she'd have two fore and two aft torpedo launchers. If they all have type 10 phasers (pulling something from SFC3), she's range from a very high-end heavy cruiser, battlecruiser, to a low-end battleship. I also went on the odf file and increased her hit point, shield strength, and system hp. I made her roughly equal to a Nebula.

#11 - Posted by: Chiletrek (Member) on 01-22-2009 at 10:33

Hello: I have always liked the design of the Aegean class, she is a support ship and the ship does it's job very well, it can even be of much help destroying overwhelming forces if played correctly, this is why we all still love this game, because we can always have surprises. I think the design is very good, but poorly executed, I think all it needed was a bit better texture and it should have been filling the roles in everybody's game, the thing is, even though I revamped the model and retouched the texture (more better windows, makes the ship looks bigger, and so she now has the room for the specialized equipment, better seen weapons and other things), I don't think it is a fair match for the mods that have been released, and it makes me feel very happy that the Aegean is worthy of consideration :)

#12 - Posted by: Tazuren (Member) on 01-23-2009 at 03:47

I don't use it, I generally play Borg or Cardassian, and use(for ships) the Tactical Fusion Cube and the Keldon, respectively. If I go for sheer laughs, I play the Cardassian and build 16 Dreadnought missiles and then send them to my enemy's starbase and laugh as they all converge on the starbase and blow up. When I do play the Federation I build 16 Sovs(with the Fed cloak mod), and then use the Temporal Superweapon and create havoc. It's awesome.

#13 - Posted by: wingsabre (Member) on 01-24-2009 at 17:34

They should have made a Zandura class in place of the Aegian. Then at least there would be all of the designs made for First Contact inside the game. The Zandura class was left out of the movie, probably due to production cost or some other reasons.