Weekly Poll Results - What often-neglected details in A2 would you most like to

Published by theStarfleetKid 10 years ago , last updated 11 months ago

What often-neglected details in A2 would you most like to see mods for?

New special weapons 17.4% (44)
Wireframe packs 14.6% (37)
New standard weapons 14.2% (36)
GUIs and interface upgrades 13.8% (35)
Build button packs 13% (33)
Tutorials (of any kind) 9.5% (24)
Other (please comment below) 5.9% (15)
Admiral's Log pic packs 5.5% (14)
Changes to stock .ODF files 5.5% (14)
Start: 06-22-2008 19:05
Last: 06-30-2008 00:47

#1 - Posted by: theStarfleetKid (Staff) on 06-22-2008 at 19:12

Just by way of explanation.... Everyone seems to be into their total conversions these days. Personally, I hate total conversions. I prefer single ships or fleet packs. Then I can do with them what I want. Part of the problem in a total conversion is how much work is involved! Everyone wants to be able to mod the gameplay. Detail work, that's not really a popular focus. But a growing number of mods, lately, have focused on the sorts of mods I like, ones that don't require a separate install but with which I can enjoy A2 my way. Things like the Improved Single Player Campaign, the Upgrade Project, the Physics Project, and Jetfreak's recent releases of new build button and wireframe packs-- the kinds of things any modder can use without bowing to the inevitability of having to install and bug-test someone else's total conversion. I would absolutely LOVE to see this sort of emphasis in our little community continue: shifting from the total conversion --all in one mods-- to the total gaming experience --one mod for all. And I figured a poll on the subject would help give those of us in the modding community an idea of where to start. Note that for most all the choices listed above, content already exists on this site for you, the modder, to enjoy. If there's something in those neglected details listed above that you want to see more of, vote for it. If it's not there, vote 'other' and say why. If you want donuts, wait a week and they'll return. :cool:

#2 - Posted by: Eluvatar (Staff) on 06-22-2008 at 19:40

Other: More dounts:donut:

#3 - Posted by: adm_tyler (Member) on 06-23-2008 at 04:36

Wireframes, almost all mod neglect them.

#4 - Posted by: TiberiousKirk (Member) on 06-23-2008 at 09:32

New Campains for Total coversions are always neglected. KA2 built one based on the old one, but that is the only one I've seen. The Babylon 5 2 and Fleet Ops still don't have a campains. Either the button is missing or the game bugs when one tries to enter a senario. :mad:

#5 - Posted by: HMS_Frontier (Member) on 06-23-2008 at 09:51

#4 I know what you mean about the single player campian but the focus of my mod Creu Chwedl will be on the single player campian. I would most like to see GUI's and some new stations mainly none federation stations.

#6 - Posted by: Stargazor_001 (Member) on 06-23-2008 at 11:37

New standard weapons, with new sound. I allways disliked stock torpedo sounds.

#7 - Posted by: JChamberlain (Member) on 06-23-2008 at 15:35

How about an NSEA Protector from Galaxy quest. I'd download it. I vote better weapon textures.

#8 - Posted by: Freyr (Staff) on 06-23-2008 at 16:18

As the only person ever likely to work on weapon textures, how are we defining better? Basically, You can have weapon textures that look good in close ups in tactical mode OR weapon textures that look good when your actually playing the game from strategic. Which do you think the game should look good in?

#9 - re #9 - Posted by: elevatormusic (Member) on 06-23-2008 at 22:56

Don't worry, you're not the only one doing weapon textures Freyr... And we've both made textures for both viewing modes so I'll second your final query, what do people want to see improved with weapons? Sounds? Looks? Lighting?

#10 - Posted by: JChamberlain (Member) on 06-23-2008 at 23:18

There's a stray file in the Star Trek vs Star Wars mod, It's a texture called Wquantum. I realize that's a chunk of time to look up, but That is a truely awesome quantum texture. (look at it if you don't believe me) Combine that with the fire sound for the quantum from SFC3 and I guess that's my definition of better. Ghost's Compound mod has a good photon torpedo texture. I could upload a screen shot of them for you guys, but I'd have to figure out how. Both are total conversions, and take forever to download,.. Lot of work for a simple texture. It's not the sounds there's so many ones to choose from, it's lighting and texture. Of course it shouldn't crash my game either :( or cause lag, But that's just me, get some other opinions.

#11 - Posted by: JChamberlain (Member) on 06-23-2008 at 23:43

To admin: Sorry about the double post. I uploaded a picture for the POD with the caption "fire torpedo burst" (because I'm creative like that) that has the textures I mentioned above. It's the 266th one waiting for approval so if I makes it in I'll point it out lol.

#12 - Posted by: ragnar603 (Member) on 06-24-2008 at 09:25

I'd say tutorials on stuff (whatever happened to that plan Freyr to have a modding school style thing? :p), though I voted for GUI's since lately I've been seeing lots more being made for people's mods, and I have no clue on how to do them lol :confused:

#13 - Posted by: Freyr (Staff) on 06-24-2008 at 10:17

I'd say tutorials on stuff (whatever happened to that plan Freyr to have a modding school style thing?)

I quietly let the idea die when I realised that it wouldn't be particularly well attended but would eat up lots of time I don't really have to spare. :p

#14 - Posted by: Firewarrior1705 (Member) on 06-24-2008 at 23:00

I think we need more standard weapons with crew casualties able to simulate the actual crew casualties in Star Trek. I've made such weapons for my personal mod, I'll see if I can upload them when I have the time(as the borg and species weapons are not finished yet and I have a ton load of studying for my university exams). They really look nice with elevatormusic's random textures and the weapon textures form the 1.4 version of the upgrade project.

#15 - Posted by: adc2000974 (Member) on 06-25-2008 at 04:49

i voted other, but thinking longer about it, GUIs and interface upgrades is a better option. i dont like the bold bright intrusive gui(s)

#16 - story line - Posted by: scarlatti27 (Member) on 06-25-2008 at 18:47

The ending is just crappy. As if the borg would just sit there while picard leaves and jabbers the borg would attack!

#17 - Posted by: JChamberlain (Member) on 06-26-2008 at 17:17

#16 is right, they probably would.

#18 - Posted by: Eluvatar (Staff) on 06-27-2008 at 18:01