Weekly Poll Results - Do You Like Steam Or EA Downloader Better?

Do You Like Steam Or EA Downloader Better?

Steam 52.7% (336)
I Don't Own Either 35.7% (228)
EA Downloader 11.4% (73)
Start: 06-15-2008 18:25
Last: 06-23-2008 22:45

#1 - Posted by: MicFire999 (Member) on 06-15-2008 at 19:29

I don't use Steam. So, I can't vote or else it'll be Bias, so I put "I don't have either". I've used EA Downloader for Crysis, and it was Flawless.

#2 - Posted by: UGSAce (Staff) on 06-15-2008 at 19:55

I've used EA Downloader for Crysis, and it was Flawless.

I suppose you never tried to reinstall crysis with out having to download it again?

#3 - Posted by: dunk999999 (Member) on 06-15-2008 at 20:21

I prefer to go to a store that has physical form.

#4 - Posted by: MicFire999 (Member) on 06-16-2008 at 04:32

I had to once, the speed was a good 900kbps throughout, then activation was ok. I bought the "download any time for 2 years" feature. Have it burnt to a DVD now.

#5 - Posted by: ieatmeat (Member) on 06-16-2008 at 13:28

Steam for the win! The only problem with it, is hackers but even then you can fix that. Steam rocks, everything in the steam client is pwnage from the friends network, being able to purchase games there and then! Whats even better is the random sales they have, where you can save alot of cash. Also, i like the fact that you can login to your account anywhere, and take your games wherever you go! Instead of just isolating it to one computer!

#6 - Posted by: afcgrimm (Member) on 06-17-2008 at 12:10

Steam is great. The loads of people who complain often do something completely stupid, and blame it on them. One guy dediced to try entering a product key during a mantinence period. Steam kindof gives warning in advance, and I'm pretty sure you get a little popup message that Steam will be down soon. Now he can't use that key until he contacts Steam support. Instead of doing that, he made a massive flame topic on several big internet sites. Was that really Steams fault?

#7 - Posted by: MicFire999 (Member) on 06-17-2008 at 12:26

AFCGrimm Thats the thing, Steam shouldn't have these types of glitches. Sure, they warn people, but why should they in the first place? Having your customers wait a period of time just to enter a key to play their game, is an inconvenience that should be fixed. So yes, I would blame Steam. If they're as good as their fans claim they are, they should fix these little issues to avoid situations like this.

#8 - Posted by: Belgolas (Member) on 06-17-2008 at 14:16

Steam is awesome. Anyways you rarely have to enter a cd key. 90% of games you don't have to. Plus I have saved roughly $200 because of steam deals. So the very very minor issues are more then paid for.

#9 - Posted by: Meawir (Member) on 06-18-2008 at 08:08

Well I haven't tried the EA Downloader, but I can safely say that Steam is the worse program I've encountered... With the obvious exception of viruses. And I definitely haven't done anything with Steam besides using it normally. Like sometimes it crashes. Kinda many server disconnections from their friends server (not my fault, I can still access the internet, without any trouble, when it happens^^) And mind getting another answer to vote upon next time? Like "Both"... And a "none".

#10 - Posted by: TKMR (Member) on 06-18-2008 at 12:09

STEAM byfar. While it has a lot more problems than EA downloader, it also has a lot more features, and isn't limited to just EA games.

#11 - Posted by: XDragon5 (Member) on 06-18-2008 at 16:09

Steam is like a million times better than EA Downloader. When I tried to use EA downloader, I ended up getting ripped off twenty bucks getting nothing in return. I was trying to use my debt card to get the Northern Strike booster from EA, and it forced me to sign up for a diabolical never-heard-of payment service instead of charging directly to my card. I did everything correctly and in the right order, and the booster pack just never showed up. I tried to get through to their customer support what had happened, but I only found incompetence. With Steam, I signed up for Steam, used the application browser to get to Half-Life 2 (took me like thirty seconds), hit "buy", entered my card's numbers, hit the final purchase button, and Half-Life 2 showed up in the download list. I downloaded it (excellent speed, I might add), and played it. The pause/resume feature worked perfectly during downloading too. I

#12 - Posted by: Lios (Member) on 06-20-2008 at 08:17

Ea downloader is as trustworthy as subscribing to private hack sites :/ Steam might be screwed up as hell, but at least they don't say "NO YOU REMOVED IT YOU CAN'T PLAY ANYMORE."

#13 - I agree with #11 - Posted by: Kampfer (Member) on 06-20-2008 at 16:01

Same thing happened to me, I tried to get Northern Strike payed for and never got anything in return. Steam how ever is great I have never had any problems with it accept for sometimes with mods. Other wise steam is perfect.