Weekly Poll Results - Do You Think Mods in BF2 Will Ever Be as Popular as they w

Do You Think Mods in BF2 Will Ever Be as Popular as they were in 1942?

No 57.5% (471)
Yes 40.4% (331)
Other (Explain in comments) 2% (17)
Start: 06-04-2008 13:34
Last: 06-15-2008 16:55

#1 - Posted by: kamikaziwatermelon1234 (Member) on 06-04-2008 at 14:14

nope not ever, they already arent, theres still more people playing '42 mods than 2

#2 - Posted by: GreedoNeverShot (Member) on 06-04-2008 at 15:48

Funny, I was going to say the opposite. As good as 1942 is, there was never a strong mod, like Sandbox or Project Reality or Airmaps or Nations at War. There is even more hope for the future with other mods like Brickfield in BF2 and the updates, like sandbox's coming up, will only make BF2's mods better. 1942's weaker mods, that arent played or developed anymore will dwindle. The only notable mods were Galactic Conquest and Forgotten Hope and Battlefield Pirates. (which sadly have bad sequels)

#3 - HUH! - Posted by: Kampfer (Member) on 06-04-2008 at 18:14

Are you telling me that there were mods for 1942??? I'm just joking, but yeah I have to agree with #2.

#4 - Posted by: alvaroM (Member) on 06-04-2008 at 19:13

#2 Not to insult you, but what about: 1) The Way it's Meant (or something like that. You know, the one with an 8-barreled Panzer IV)). 2)Sengoku (samurai battles) 3) Battlegroup 42 4) BF 1918 5) Eve of Destruction 6) Desert Combat 7) XWW2 8) FinnWars These are just my favorites, and I especially like them in SP. Personally, I think 1942 was the pinnacle of the BF series, but then again, my opinion is biased.

#5 - Posted by: UGSAce (Staff) on 06-04-2008 at 20:27

Are you kidding me! Desert Combat and forgotten Hope were way Stronger then PR ever was and will be i remember before BF2 was even released more people were playing Mods on 1942 then there were playing the original game.

#6 - Posted by: zixed01 (Staff) on 06-04-2008 at 20:38

dice f***ed up bf2 with the ranking system so ppl care about rank and points more than fun which is what most mods are about

#7 - Posted by: GreedoNeverShot (Member) on 06-04-2008 at 21:07

#4 I could point out some of those mods flaws or tell you have havent downloaded some of them, but it would take awhile... However, Desert Combat, I did forget... that mod did rule. notice I said "did". As in when large groups of people played it.. BTW I still have Forgooten Hope installed (both actually) and there is no way you can thin its better than Sandox or Project Reality.

#8 - Posted by: superlamario (Member) on 06-04-2008 at 22:16

Other,I didn't know how popular those mods were...

#9 - Posted by: Big_Daddy (V.I.P. Member) on 06-04-2008 at 23:16

http://battlefield2.filefront.com/file/Desert_Combat;23423 Desert Combat has over 800,000 downloads on this site alone. This mod and the original FH were pretty much the mods for ANY game around at their peak. BF2 has nothing that even compares to the level of popularity imo.

#10 - Posted by: UGSAce (Staff) on 06-05-2008 at 02:02

yea desert combat is the 14th out of 20 most downloaded file on this site i think thats pretty good considering it 4 years old.

#11 - Posted by: MicFire999 (Member) on 06-05-2008 at 05:37

I don't know, better engine, graphics, gameplay. I'd much prefer a game like that over a buggy, jumpy, smudgy, polygon filled game. I move with the new.

#12 - Posted by: Fragboy_o_jedi (Member) on 06-05-2008 at 19:45

AT THIS MOMENT, bf42 mods rule i played 6 mods on 42 Desert combat Eve of destruction Galactic conquest Siege Pirates And BF 1918 All those ruled thei own ways ill give some time to BF2 mods to pick up, and even 2142 mods.. I currently have BF pirates and FH2 for BF2, waiting for new versions and community to grow, but as has been stated, ppl ditch fun for points on a stupid, biased, easily cheatable ranking system. I like being ranked myself, but i love fun above all

#13 - Posted by: Galileo126 (Member) on 06-06-2008 at 12:52

Just to weigh in, I still play BF1942 mods. Mainly: Desert Combat (plus DCF, EDC, DCX) BF1942 SW EOD FH BG42 XWWII Stargate I like to play a different mod each day, keeps it all fresh!

#14 - Posted by: redsnad (Member) on 06-06-2008 at 18:57

Look my opinion is obvious, all a game needs is a great big ROCKET LAUNCHER!!! HAHAHA!!! PPPEEESSSSWWW BBBOOOMMM!!!!!

#15 - Posted by: Karrus (Member) on 06-06-2008 at 19:30

1942 really broke new ground for it's time. Sadly, bf2 just didn't follow that same path. Even though many of the great 1942 mods made it's way to bf2, it's just wasn't the same type of gameplay. That, and when I noticed more and more hacks being used, I really lost all interest. JK3 had a better time than bf2 did, even if it wasn't as good as outcast.

#16 - Posted by: dunk999999 (Member) on 06-06-2008 at 22:47

I would like to see Battlefield 1942 replicated in the BF2 engine, like what was done with Battlefield Vietnam, and the WW2 and WW2 Extended mods, all the models and maps where converted to BFV, I would like to see that done in BF2, so in some ways I am sitting on the fence, I like the gameplay of BF2 (at least the SP with the squad based gameplay and the commander and artillery etc) and the maps and models of BF1942. FH2 goes a good way to providing that but its not the same, to me, for some reason it feels too serious.

#17 - Posted by: dunk999999 (Member) on 06-06-2008 at 22:49

oh and in the BFV mods, BFV gameplay remained like the radio in vehicles, but it pumped out BF1942 themes, and AI responded to ur requests etc.

#18 - Posted by: stev (Member) on 06-07-2008 at 09:26

Everyone says BF2 has great mods. I dont see it. Maybe because I like total conversions. When I got mad about artilary I said whats next nuclear bombs. Tha was a joke. With BF next release you wont need a keyboard. Just one button. BFV WW2Extended was : is the greatest mod ever. If you can make those mods on BF2 and make them accurate maybe I'll reinstall BF2 But ofcourse 1942 has more to offer. BF2 is just another run and shot game. The peoblem is BF2 did not expand the game they went backwards with less of a battle ground. And why am I repeating something thats been said too many times already.

#19 - Posted by: GreedoNeverShot (Member) on 06-07-2008 at 12:57

Dude, this site is jammed packed with great mods for Battlefield 2, All you have to do is to a search. Everyone knows how bad vanilla BF2 is, thats why we make and play mods...

#20 - Posted by: stev (Member) on 06-07-2008 at 23:14

Searchings over BF2 is history I can download BF2 maps for COD4 they play better. Nope You just cant beat those dog fight days, and capturing enemy ships. It was like assteroids, you cant improve perfection. Ask for better graphics you get a totally different game from different people it aint the same

#21 - UGSAce - Posted by: superbob281 (Member) on 06-08-2008 at 10:06

I couldn't agree more....

#22 - Posted by: RuhigSein (Member) on 06-10-2008 at 04:45

"yes" look at Project Reality. The only good mods I played on Bf42 were Desert Conflict and Forgotten Hope.

#23 - Desert Conflict - Posted by: RuhigSein (Member) on 06-10-2008 at 04:45

Wait, wasn't it Desert "Combat"?

#24 - Posted by: Lt_Taco (Member) on 06-10-2008 at 13:13

FH and DC are way bigger than PR is now. Even just before the release of FH2 there were 3-4 FH servers filling up regularly (TDP, Wolf, Hslan, and PFC). Even the smaller mods like GC and Pirates still had big populations. Most BF2 mods flat line after a week or so. POE2 was big for a bit, but it's near dead now. I blame the BF2 interface. It seemed like the 1942 engine was much easier to work with.

#25 - Posted by: Randall_Boggs_Rocks (Member) on 06-14-2008 at 11:42

i have never played 1942

#26 - I blame 2142! - Posted by: Iffy350 (Member) on 06-15-2008 at 15:03

EA abandoned Battlefield 2 in favor of 2142 and a large portion of the community developing mods for battlefield 2 jumped ship to the 2142 game. They WERE making a galactic conquest 2 for battlefield 2 but that got scrapped. I believe there is a similar star wars themed mod with a different name for bf2142 if I am not mistaking.