This article originated on the original FileFront
Formatting may be lacking as a result. We apologize for this inconvenience. If this article is un-readable please report it so that we may fix it.
| What do you thing the last unconfirmed race will be in DOW 2? |
|Imperial Guard||6.8% (210)|
|None of the Above||4.6% (144)|
|Sisters of Battle||2.3% (74)|
|Dark Eldar||1.7% (54)|
|Start: 07-29-2008 09:44|
|Last: 08-06-2008 14:39|
|#1 - Posted by: Serefinn (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 09:47|
This poll is gonna get out of hand pretty fast...
|#2 - Posted by: Serefinn (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 09:48|
I like the idea though. T'will be good to settle this debate at least here on DoWFiles
P.S Srry for double post
|#3 - chaos - Posted by: SoulPredator (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 10:23|
i think it will be chaos because space marines need their chaos counter parts.
|#4 - Posted by: voidrunner (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 10:30|
this issue/debate isnt gonna get resolved until they actually reveal race #4. if theyre feeling sadistic theyll wait till the last second so they can watch this escalate. Prime example: im firmly convinced that race #4 are Nids. i dont see chaos....swarming... it just looks like Nids to me. nothing is gonna change my mind until they reveal the last race.
|#5 - Posted by: OWN3D (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 10:36|
It's either going to be Tyranids or Chaos.
As much as I'd like to see Tyranids in this one they may have to wait until an expansion seeing as how the Space Marines, Orks and Eldar have been announced and it just makes sense to have Chaos as the 4th race. Which wouldn't be surprising considering that the Space Marines, Chaos, Eldar and Orks are considered the 4 main races in 40k and were also the first 4 races in the original Dawn of War.
If it is Chaos then we can be sure that the Tyranids will be one of the first races added in an expansion as everyone has been asking for the Tyranids since the first Dawn of War but it was said (despite the fact that there is a Tyranid mod) that to do the Tyranids justice in an RTS game that they'd have to wait for a better game engine (which Dawn of War 2 definately has). It's also suggested at the end of the cinematic opening video for Dawn of War 2 that was released recently that the Tyranids were coming with what looked like the arrival of a Tyranid hive fleet in the planets atmosphere. But that could also be seen as the effect of a warp storm created by Chaos on the planets atmosphere as well.
|#6 - Posted by: sanjit (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 11:12|
I'd LOVE to see the tyranids, but the feel thq said they were going for would make you feel close to your squads. Its difficult to get close to about 1000 small meat shield aliens.
I'll go with either chaos or dark eldar.
|#7 - Posted by: Rainbow777 (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 11:18|
Warhammer 40k is just NOT working without Chaos so it is going to be the last race! and i am not to sure that tyranids will be addet by an expansion(Can't say why but i'am skeptic.)
@5 you sag that the "fog" at the athmosphare could be a tyranid hive fleet, thats could realy be my girst idea was that it is a warp storm! and i still think so!
But in the first dawn of war parts there were often warp storm shown bt the didn't look like that at the and on the trailer! But the very old Engine could be a reason for this....
all in all i can't wait for this game yeahhhhhh :beer:
an i'am happy to see an new Dow game with a great intro like it was in the first DoW part!
|#8 - Posted by: Deutsch_Guard (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 11:26|
Wait, there'll only be four races?
I would've expected 5 - Marines, Orks, Eldar, Guard + Chaos (the ones they've had since the beginning)
Okay, so Guard wasn't playable 'till WA, but they still appeared in the original DOW campaign
|#9 - Posted by: LtDavis (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 11:33|
5 would've made more sense as the guard are just as important as SM. Guard will at least show up in campaign I think and hope.
|#10 - Posted by: Templar_Crusader (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 12:02|
Fisrt of all I think that any "Good" or "Neutral" race is definitely out. Chaos or Tyranids seem to be the only two logical choices. Dark Eldar will never be a major campaign race. I'd have to go with the Tyranids. If Chaos is the fourth race it will seem to much of a repeat of the first DOW. :)
|#11 - Tyranids might not be a in the game - Posted by: junkheepman (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 12:09|
or what it looks like coz if you read the how the game is going its they might not even be going into the game however they could be in the game but not as a playable race so like you have to fight them off in the campaign with your squad or something . . .
|#12 - Posted by: MalusDarkblade (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 12:11|
In my opinion, the "last" confirmed race is going to be chaos, seeings how they've pretty much told us that nids are going to be in this from their cinematic trailer.
|#13 - Posted by: MalusDarkblade (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 12:16|
sorry for double post, but I meant to say "tyranids" where I said chaos, (even though I hope the last race is chaos because they're awesome, and important to fluff)
|#14 - Posted by: tyradra (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 12:30|
i really want tyanids and chaos but i picked chaos bause of the new game ruls of the game dosent fit for the tyranids
|#15 - @ #7 - Posted by: Chris8016 (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 12:31|
You can't really blame the original dawn of war engine for having the warp storms look as they did as the great purple clouds are how they're portrayed everywhere.
|#16 - Posted by: Deutsch_Guard (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 12:58|
Do we know for sure it's four + not five or even six races?
I know it won't be 11 or 12....
|#17 - Posted by: TDATL (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 13:14|
"that to do the Tyranids justice in an RTS game that they'd have to wait for a better game engine (which Dawn of War 2 definately has)"
You should be very carefull of assuming better graphics means better engine.
|#18 - Posted by: Cadian_Guard (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 13:14|
people will be comparing nids to the zerg far to much saying the DoW rips off SC. It would be a bad business move for them to make a race that essentially the Zerg ripped off (but frankly the only people that know the Zerg rip off the Nids are the ones who play the TT game...).
In my opinion Chaos would be better since people would associate the Nids with the Zerg and will be screaming "rip off" since there are alot more people who know of the zerg than the nid since i believe SC has a higher player count that DoW will ever have....
|#19 - Posted by: Deutsch_Guard (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 14:34|
Durrrgh, what's a Zurg? :confused:
|#20 - Posted by: Sylphior (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 14:44|
It's really narrowed down to Tyranids or Chaos. considering any other race is just moronic. Necron could've been a choice at one point, but since it's coming from the sky, not underground, it's impossible. Chaos is an important structure of Warhammer 40K, but honestly i don't think the Eldar ever feared them as much as they did in the trailer that makes this a debate. given the fear from the Eldar, it's most likely the Tyranids, as they have always been that "super" race that's unstoppable, if they lose a few battles. they could make the whole game about the Chaos conquering planets, but that's kinda boring now. the way they're presenting everything, it's Tyranids.
and remember ppl, this poll is asking what you "think" is the last race is gonna be, not what you "hope" it's going to be. either way, i think and hope it's Tyranids.
|#21 - Posted by: Burnzee (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 15:15|
definatly tyranids they the only race that pple have wanted the most but never got
|#22 - Q&A rom Comic-Con 08 - Posted by: chosen40k (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 16:00|
1. There will certainly be devastator squads. This is from both Ebbert's mouth and unit descriptions in the gameplay video shown.
2. There will be a major announcement in 5-6 weeks, revealing much new information including but not necessarily limited to information about the game's multi player aspect. This will be found on major gaming news websites, Ebbert could not mention a specific news site to watch. (when questioned, Ebbert did not mention any special party, event, or presentation that fans could attend)
3. For now, Relic is still not willing to talk about the possibility of Tyranids or, really, anything outside of the SM campaign. When further questioned about Tyranids, Ebbert responded to the effect that 'we're not blind, deaf or stupid. we watch the forums and are trying to give the players what they want'
4. It's confirmed that squad leaders don't die permanently. Loss of all forces or mission failure results in an emergency evacuation by Thunderhawk gunship so that your leaders, at least, are not lost. Part of what drives this decision is the design team's stance against taking away the player's carefully constructed army and forcing the player to start over from nothing as so often happens in a traditional RTS. DoW 2 is clearly borrowing heavily from the force persistence that was central to the Homeworld series.
5. The campaign is to be a compromise between the free-form DC and SS style of campaign and the story-driven but linear WA and vanilla DoW campaigns. The intent is that the player will decide for him/herself how and where to go about 'saving an entire sector of the galaxy' rather than going along with a plan of action devised by the story writers, but the story will still be central to the action.
6. When questioned as to whether the story will tie in with or continue from the events of DoW 1, Ebbert responded to the effect that we will be seeing some familiar faces in the DoW2 story.
7. When questioned regarding chaos, specifically whether or not fans will get to see gods other than Khorne represented at some point, Ebbert indicated that as a tabletop Chaos player he would ensure that Chaos players received some love. his specific wording, which I was unable to record, did hint that Chaos might be featured or expanded upon in a later expansion rather than in the initial release.
Careful observation of the few new screens and video shown at the presentation gives us the following:
1. Suppression and retreat exist in a form quite similar to CoH, though the specifics are not 100% clear. Ebbert also stated that retreating AI squads should be wiped out to prevent them alerting larger forces to your presence and calling reinforcements.
2. based on what looked like a mockup squad selection screen, the SM campaign will feature the Force Commander (possibly a squad unto himself or a command squad), 2 tactical squads (one of the Sergeants had a bolter, the other a flamer) 2 devastator squads (one Sgt. had HB, the other ML) a scout squad, an assault squad (jet packs may be optional, the sergeant didn't seem to have one) and 2 vehicles (looked like a rhino/razorback and a predator if memory serves). As to whether the player chooses 6 of these, or the FC and vehicles don't count towards the '6 squad limit' previously established, I didn't think to ask.
3. Jump pack assault marines leave craters upon landing. These craters can be used for cover. As in CoH, directional cover, deformable terrain, and destructible buildings will all interact to affect the battlefield, creating and destroying cover while opening and closing possible routes of advance.
4. meltabombs and other wargear are as useful for clearing paths through difficult terrain (such as taking down tall walls or possibly occupied buildings) as for killing enemies.
5. based on a concept/render pic showing a vast array of melee weapons and a second pic of the scout squad outfitting screen, there will be a very huge variety of wargear available to your squads, leaders. Fans of swords, axes, and hammers will be well pleased, though I don't recall seeing much in the way of maces or other melee weapons. That said, I don't think the 2 pics shown represent all the possible wargear choices.
|#23 - Sorry for double post - Posted by: chosen40k (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 16:01|
Looks like they are planning to have Chaos on an expansion.
|#24 - Posted by: Jazzeh (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 16:13|
Im sorry, but anyone who said anything other than Chaos or Tyranids hasn't done they're homework, as simply, we are given a glimpse of the last race in one of the teaser trailers given to us, and what we are shown is a dark cloud like thing stretching across the sky. This could either be a kinda warp storm like the ones seen around the EoE, meaning it's Chaos, or it could be Nid Spores. So it's definately one of those, but I voted for Nids cos of the clues given on the map descriptions in SS.
|#25 - Posted by: BeanTheKing (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 16:46|
It's obviously Nids, like someone already stated, if they weren't gonna put in Nids at all, why bother giving hints that it might be them? It's pointless. Also, Chaos might come in better in their own expansion, but with four different gods as each race? So Khorne Disciples, Grandfather Nurgle and his plagues and such. It sounds like a better idea, and it'd be better in the long run.
|#26 - Posted by: Cpl_Death (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 17:00|
As much as I would like to have Chaos, I voted nids, because it is now obvious that its them.
|#27 - Posted by: Cpl_Death (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 17:01|
The 40k universe is much older than SC, if there is a rip off at all, its the Zerg.
|#28 - Posted by: Deutsch_Guard (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 17:27|
What if the cloud thingy represents 'nids showing up during the campaign as a non-playable (or maybe even unlockable) race, and the 'last' race is something else? How do we even know it's the 'last' race? I don't think 4'll be enough now we've had 11 - I suspect there'll be 5 or 6...
It's possible; we had Necrons in DOW: WA
|#29 - ow pls - Posted by: Sekmet9 (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 20:16|
OMG it will be chaos or even eldar, they will stik to the normal way of doing things, nids will be a single expation in it self, all this spec of it being nids is just hype and nothing more.
|#30 - Posted by: BeanTheKing (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 22:06|
Eldar is already in the game. Chaos will have it's own expansion, it makes more sense. And why would Relic give us fake hype? That's a pretty stupid thing to do since it would give DoW 2 a bad name and a bad rep. Not to mention being the biggest disappointment since SC
|#31 - Posted by: Crunchjaw (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 22:38|
Hmmm since DoWII is going to be squad based then how would Nids or IG going to fit in IG have alot of infantry and their basically nothing but meatshields without their tanks which DoWII isnt going to have.And Nids u cant have 100 flesh eating beast in one squad thats just terrible!!
|#32 - Posted by: chosen40k (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 22:47|
Elite Vanguard Organisms.
Genestealers, Broodlords, Lictors, Raveners, Trygons, maybe a Carnifex.
|#33 - Posted by: Blk_Stormwolf (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 22:57|
I yearn for blood and the mighy echoes of chaos
|#34 - Posted by: karang92 (Member) on 07-30-2008 at 00:48|
It seems like this poll is actually a reflection of what people *hope* the last race will be, rather than what they *think* the last race will be. As for me, I hope it's 'nids, but I reckon it'll be chaos.
|#35 - Posted by: lolsers (Member) on 07-30-2008 at 02:01|
|#36 - To #17, #30 and #31 - Posted by: OWN3D (Member) on 07-30-2008 at 03:52|
#17 - Dont you assume that all the people posting here are ignorant. I've been keeping a close on on the games progress and I know that the engine used in Dawn of War 2 is the next version of the game engine used in Company of Heroes. I play Company of Heroes and the Opposing Fronts expansion a lot and i can safely say that the game engine used in those games is a hell of a lot better than the engine used in the original Dawn of War games.
#30 - It's not fake hype. Like #34 said everyones just saying what they hope is going to be in the game and getting themselves worked up and excitted about something that is probably not going to happen. So dont get angry at Relic when they announce the next race and it isn't Tyranids as you've only got yourselves to blame for the Tyranid hype.
#31 - The IG are not meatshields when used properly. The only reasons people say IG are meatshields are because (A. In a lot of the 40k books most IG generals are portrayed as heartless commanders that dont care how many men they send to die as long as the enemy dies. (B. Thats pretty much how I've seen most people play RTS games. Just spam units until your opponent cant hold on anymore. If anything Dawn of War 2 would be perfect for IG as they would pretty much be the equivallent of the Panzer Elite in Opposing Fronts. Except instead of spamming infantry or tanks you'd be forced to think about what your doing with your guardsmen.
|#37 - Posted by: Hrtbrk1 (Member) on 07-30-2008 at 04:08|
Hang on. Most people assume that the Tyranids will be playable when DOW2 comes straight out but what if they are just another unplayable opponent like the Necrons were in Winter Assualt? Still Im hoping
There are no comments yet. Be the first!