Weekly Poll Results - Back at E3, John Carmack said that DOOM 4 is going to be a

Published by Hfx-Rebel 10 years ago , last updated 11 months ago

Back at E3, John Carmack said that DOOM 4 is going to be a 30Hz game. What's your stance on this?

I think people are confusing frame rate and the game's tick rate. 24.4% (51)
30 fps is gay, seriously, I play Crysis at 30 fps and get pissed. Wtf John? 19.1% (40)
100% agree. 16.7% (35)
How many monsters on screen at 30 fps? 16.7% (35)
Do you think Carmack cares that you don't care? 14.3% (30)
That's it John baby, talk dirty to me oooh yeah. 8.6% (18)
Start: 07-27-2008 16:58
Last: 08-02-2008 03:20

#1 - Posted by: hfx_rebel (Staff) on 07-27-2008 at 17:03

Thanks to Bluehair for this week's Poll question!

#2 - Posted by: GIJesse7 (Member) on 07-27-2008 at 20:05

I prefer games at 30 FPS, i don't know why, I just do.

#3 - Posted by: GIJesse7 (Member) on 07-27-2008 at 20:08

wait a minute, is the refresh rate slightly similar to the frame rate?

#4 - Posted by: Yuuki_Minoru (Member) on 07-27-2008 at 21:35

Yea. Everyone's getting tick rate confused with frame rate. Carmack means that the game will have a tick rate of 30 (33?). Basically, that means that the game updates the level 30 times a second. (FPS is how many times a second the image is rendered by your graphics card FYI)

#5 - Posted by: LDAsh (Member) on 07-28-2008 at 05:32

It mainly means in terms of modding that the engine can't be pushed much further, that it's already pushed technology that can't practically handle higher polycounts and texture memory without performance issues. For the vanilla game I doubt anyone could tell the difference. Anti-id fanboys would have a field-day with this anyway.

#6 - Posted by: CampingCarl (Member) on 07-28-2008 at 05:39

Argh! This poll is so confusing... Brain freeze!

#7 - Posted by: Mkem (Member) on 07-28-2008 at 11:29

And baaaaby. Talk dirty to me! *guitar solo* No. Seriously. I voted for the I think people are....

#8 - Posted by: Dimanche (Member) on 07-29-2008 at 15:26

...Well, I didn't understand the question (I typed that part really slow, for emphasis) but I don't really care about frame rate, or whatever this question is about, as long as it isn't like 2.

#9 - Posted by: Keland (Member) on 07-30-2008 at 05:38

I could care less really, a games a game, if I like. I like it.

#10 - Posted by: GIJesse7 (Member) on 07-30-2008 at 20:23

Yea, to tell you the truth, along with Dimanche, I really don't care about the technical part of a game so much as long as it is stable.

#11 - Posted by: dynablade223 (Member) on 07-31-2008 at 02:16

too bad they cant go back to ol' school doom 1/ doom 2 style Xd, anyway im looking forward to this new doom 4, and voted for the ''tick 'n fps confusion''