Weekly Poll Results - Will you be visiting a cenotaph on Nov 11th?

Published by IKS_Yo_Mama 10 years ago , last updated 1 year ago

Will you be visiting a cenotaph on Nov 11th?

Nope. nuff said 48.9% (24)
I'll watch it on TV, I don't need to be there 22.4% (11)
Damn right! Remembering the fallen is the least I can do! 16.3% (8)
Nah, I'll watch some vintage WWII movies, that's how I show respect! 12.2% (6)
Start: 11-03-2008 19:22
Last: 11-08-2008 12:28

#1 - Posted by: AdmiralHocking (Member) on 11-03-2008 at 22:02

There isn't a polite option for non-Americans. :(

#2 - Posted by: Hfx-Rebel (Staff) on 11-04-2008 at 04:00

Brits, and others, don't honor the end of the Second World War? (Remembrance Day in Canada or Veterans Day in the States)

#3 - Posted by: fraggles (Member) on 11-04-2008 at 13:55

What's Cenotaph.

#4 - Posted by: IKS_Yo_Mama (Staff) on 11-04-2008 at 13:57

Its like a war monument to unknown fallen soldiers I think. I won't be remembering it because my country was neutral though I do remember WW1 because of the numbers of my fellow countrymen who fought in it

#5 - Posted by: AdmiralHocking (Member) on 11-04-2008 at 15:19

We have 'Remembrance Sunday' on the second Sunday of November each year - for us it's the 9th this year. The Cenotaphs are visited by local dignitaries, ex-servicemen/women and cadets - or in larger cities the public as well. The rest of the population simply observes the two minutes silence. :)

#6 - Posted by: Hfx-Rebel (Staff) on 11-05-2008 at 07:32

A Cenotaph is not just for unknown fallen soldiers, it's generally erected when a large number of soldiers have fought a battle and suffered large amounts, although, they can be erected anywheres. @ AH -- Will you be attending the memorial to honor the 68,000+ Canadians that have fallen in the First World War? If so, I'd be interested in getting some pictures.

#7 - Posted by: AdmiralHocking (Member) on 11-05-2008 at 17:43

You've lost me there. :confused:

#8 - Posted by: Hfx-Rebel (Staff) on 11-06-2008 at 05:06

#9 - Posted by: ant2006 (Member) on 11-06-2008 at 09:55

go AdmiralHocking i couldn't have put it better, i will be honoring the fallen heros on sunday in the city of Newcastle Upon Tyne in the north east of England