Posted on November 5, 2013, Kevin Thielenhaus CoD: Ghosts PC – Low FPS, Stuttering, Crash Fixes & Tweaks
No major release goes by without a few hitches, that’s why we’ve compiled fixes and tweaks for Call of Duty: Ghost’s PC growing pains. Scroll down to check out possible repairs for crashes, flickering, and freezing. We’ve also got a few tips to help improve performance, fixing those annoying stuttering issues.
Expect the community to discover more helpful tweaks to get the PC version of Activision’s latest FPS blockbuster running smoothly. Check back soon for the latest updates.
Once you’ve got the game running perfectly, you might need some help getting through the campaign. Or, maybe you just want to experience the thrills with Game Front. Either way, check out the Call of Duty: Ghosts walkthrough for new text and video updates. Or check out the Call of Duty: Ghosts cheats list to find collectible locations, secrets, and everything else extra.
PC Performance Fixes & Tweaks Guide
Note: Official fixes are incoming. Until then, try these community-suggested fixes and tweaks.
Random Crashes / Freezes – How to Fix
Update to the latest drivers from Nvidia or AMD.
New drivers were released for CoD: Ghosts & Battlefield 4 to improve stability and performance. Other problems and fixes include:
- Set all Overclocked or High Priority hardware/software to Factory Settings.
- Shut down overlays or programs such as FRAPs or After Burner, shut them down while running Ghosts.
- Install the latest updates to DirectX, .Net Framework, NVidia PhysX or AMD drivers.
FPS Drops Randomly – How to Fix
To fix drastic FPS drops (during death, leaning) try this fix:
- If FPS drops while playing in Fullscreen, go to the video options.
- Change to Windowed (No Border)
Low FPS – How to Fix
Due to memory leak issues, running background programs or overlays (FRAPS) will cause performance issues.
- Close any background programs/overlays (FRAPS) – Try running Steam in Offline Mode or disabling Steam Overlay.
Alter these settings to improve FPS:
- Distortion: No
- Motion Blur: No
- Depth of Field: Off
- Terrain Detail: Off
Mouse Acceleration / Stuttering FPS – How to Fix
Currently, Ghosts will stutter when set to “High Priority” — alter the settings with these steps:
- Open Task Manager (TaskMgr – Ctrl+Alt+Del).
- Scroll and find iw6mp64_ship.exe
- Right click on iw6mp64_ship.exe, then Set Priority: Normal.
Select the CoD: Ghosts .exe and set priority to normal to help fix FPS performance issues.
Windows 8.1 currently causes problems for some users. Check these Mouse Control Panel settings for a temporary fix:
- Do not set “Enhance Pointer Precision” to ON.
- Do not set any mouse “Acceleration” options to ON.
Other programs running in the background, such as FRAPS or the Steam Overlay, can cause problems with mouse acceleration. To turn off the Steam Overlay:
- Right click on Call of Duty: Ghosts in your Library.
- Open “Properties” and uncheck “Enable Steam Community In-Game” under the “General” tab.
If you’re using a special gaming mouse, try reducing the polling rate to 250Hz.
This next fix requires altering Ghosts’ config files. Do so at your own risk, and save default back-ups. Go to the Call of Duty: Ghosts installation folder and find config_mp.cfg then open it with a text editor, like Notepad. Find the line:
- seta r)elevatedPriority “1″
Change it to:
- seta r)elevatedPriority “0″
If you’re using Steam, find this folder at SteamApps/common/Call of Duty Ghosts/players2
Weapon / Texture Flickering – How to Fix
If you are experiencing strange flickering on weapons, attachments or textures:
- While running on Crossfire or SLI configs, run Ghosts with a single card.
- Change screen resolution — upper or lower.
Unable to Connect Online – How to Fix
If your NAT settings are “Strict” or “Normal” you may be unable to connect to online matches. To fix:
- Deactivate Windows Firewall
- Activate Port Forwarding – Check out the extensive guide here.
Missing .dll Files – How to Fix
If a message appears stating you are missing one or several .dll files (Msvcr100.dll, Msvcr110.dll or Msvcr120.dll), download and install the latest DirectX & Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable
Having more issues? Know a fix we’re missing? Let us know in the comments.
More Call of Duty: Ghosts achievement guides, Easter eggs, and extras.