After whetting our appetites with Dead Rising 2: Case Zero, legendary designer Keiji Inafune is ready to release Dead Rising 2 on the unsuspecting public, and boy does it look awesome.
Combining hair-raising, shuffling-zombie action with a tongue-in-cheek presentation and a lot of zany creativity, the game is sure to provide hundreds of hours of fun, as gamers guide protagonist Chuck Greene through an infested version of Vegas.
The emphasis this time around is on weapon crafting, and Greene is able to find and concoct all manner 0f zombie-killing apparati on his quest to save his adorable daughter for the ticking time bomb of zombification that runs through her veins.
A new multiplayer mode adds spice to the proceedings, as players compete American Gladiator-style to see who can lay waste to the most zombies in the most entertaining manner possible. The colorful psychopaths from the first game will also no doubt return, along with legions of helpless survivors.
Check back in this space on the day of release for comprehensive, step-by-step walkthrough coverage, alerting you to everything worth doing in the world of Dead Rising 2.
Title: Dead Rising 2
Developer: Blue Castle Games
Platforms: Xbox 360, PS3
Release Date: 9/28/2010
Table of Contents
- Terror is Reality
- Case 1
- Case 1-2 Through Case 1-4
- Case 2
- Case 2-2
- Case 3
- Case 3-2
- Case 4
- Case 5
- Case 5-2
- Case 6
- Case 6-2
- Case 7
- The Facts
- Overtime Mode
Terror is Reality
- As the cutscene ends, hit the Right Trigger to gas the bike. Just continually drive it through the crowds of zombies, and try to aim for the ones with the pink lanterns over their heads. They’ll explode and take a few extras with them.
- Brake with the Left Trigger to make tight turns and try to keep slamming through the zombies.
- After the event, take a break with another cutscene. You’ll be quickly versed in the workings of the Guide Arrow, then you can start heading down the hall.
- At the end of the hall, you’ll hit a Bathroom, where you can save your game. Once you’re done with it, turn right and take the elevator.
- You can stop and talk to Amber along the way. At the elevator, you’ll get another cutscene.
- Time to fight zombies. There’s a bat in front of you on the ground — snag it with X and start cutting a path. You want to continue down this hall, then bear right down when it corners. Follow the guide arrow.
- Keep an eye out for more weapons as you go — you’ll need them. There are side rooms you can explore, but they mostly have more of everything — more weapons, or snack foods that you can eat to restore health.
- You’ll see the green room door before long, on your left. Open it with B and another cutscene triggers.
- Now carrying Katey, you’re weaponless, but you can still kick. Go with the Guide Arrow and follow it out of the arena. You’ll see zombies everywhere, and a few you’ll have to kick out of the way, but for the most part they won’t bother you too badly.
- Another big cutscene. After it’s over, leave the security room and grab a fresh weapon, like an ax — there are several on the walls.
- Follow the Guide Arrow past the survivors and down the stairs until you get to a ventilation shaft with a door on it. You can open the door to get out of the shelter and back into Fortune City using that vent.
- At the other end of the vent, you’ll find yourself in the maintenance area of the mall. Stick with the arrow and it’ll lead you out into the mall proper, which is full of zombies. It’s a bit of a mess.
- Wade through and avoid fighting as best you can, especially if you’re weak (or, conversely, do a lot of fighting because it’ll help you build your stats). Eventually, you want to follow the arrow through the mall to the pharmacy.
- TIP: You’ll pass a magazine stand kiosk early on when you enter the mall section. Snag the magazine off the front and read it with X for a stat boost. Then toss it with Down on the D-Pad.
- It’s a hike to the pharmacy, so protect yourself. Keep an eye out for handy things to use as weapons along the way.
- Inside the pharmacy, after a cutscene, you’ll go up against three human looters. They’re pushovers — wail on them with whatever weapon you have and they should go down without much struggle at all.
- After those guys are finished, you can loot the store yourself — smash the cash registers by throwing them to get some quick cash — then hop the counter and talk to the woman there. She’ll join up with you.
- Now go through the door behind the counter to locate some Zombrex for Katey.
- Time to get back to the Safe House. Grab a weapon or two as you leave the pharmacy and make sure you snake any health items you need in the pharmacy before you leave.
- When you run out, Denyce will follow you. She doesn’t carry a weapon, but she’s pretty decent at keeping clear of zombie entanglements. You can keep running and she’ll follow you — just listen for her to get into trouble and save her if necessary. Be careful not to club her with anything, though.
- Hike all the way back to the door to the Safe House, making sure to keep Denyce safe until you get there. Don’t go through the door with her too far behind, or you’ll lose her out in the mall and have to go back.
- After you deliver Denyce back safely, check your watch. If it’s not quite 7 a.m. yet, you can head back into the mall to explore a bit and do some zombie-killing to maybe raise your stats. Or shop a little.
- At 7, return to Katey and administer her booster shot. She’s good for another day.
- Things start picking up. You need to go back out into the mall. Stop by and talk to Sullivan at the entrance to the vent. He’ll give you the maintenance room key.
- When you get into the mall maintenance area, after a cutscene, you’ll get a chance to make your first combo weapon. Set the bat on the work bench and add the box of nails to create the Spiked Bat. You’ll get a combo card and a new weapon.
- ACHIEVEMENT: The “Needs More Chainsaw” Achievement (or Trophy, if you’re playing on a PS3) is unlocked after you complete your first combo weapon.
- TIP: Try to use and make as many combo weapons as possible. They’re drastically better than the other, normal weapons in the game for the most part, and they earn you bonus PP every time you kill a zombie with them, which means leveling up faster.
- Right before the maintenance room, you got a couple of calls on your transponder. Check those messages and you’ll get two new missions.
- Before you select one, leave the maintenance area and you’ll see a survivor at the coffee bar ahead. Clear the tunnel as you go.
Survivors: LaShandra and Gordon
- This one’s a freebie. Clear the zombies around LaShandra as you approach.
- Speak with LaShandra by pressing B. After a few rounds, she’ll join you.
- Check out a store called Casual Gal, to the right of the maintenance tunnel entrance. You’ll hear a man sobbing inside.
- Clear a path and talk to the man — it’s LaShandra’s husband, Gordon. It’ll take a few seconds to get all the way through the conversation, but after a moment, Gordon will join up too.
- Guide him back to the vent hatch and take him to the Safe House. You’ll get a PP bonus for both survivors.
- Double-back to the mall and select your first mission as you leave the tunnel. Grab any supplies you need.
One Man’s Trash
- You have to fight your way out of the mall and onto the Fortune City streets to get to this mission. There’s more to do when you arrive, however,
- Pound through the zombies and follow the Guide Arrow toward the pawn shop. When you get there, you’ll see a man with a shotgun fighting his way through some zombies.
- Get over there and help clear the man out of his predicament. That’s Chad. Talk to him and you’ll find he’s missing someone and wants a hand in retrieving her.
- To finish Chad’s mission, you’ll need to go to the Arena. Before you do that, though, walk over to the pawn shop and talk to the looter behind the metal gate.
- Talk to the looter a few times and you can enter the pawn shop. Buy stuff if you want (if you have the money, you might want Zombrex. You’ll be purchasing it eventually anyway, but it’s expensive). Then pull up your map and set your Guide Arrow to go with the mission “Lost…”
- Follow the Guide Arrow with Chad in tow to get down to the Arena.
- Fight down to the kiosk where Doris is standing on top, shooting down at zombies. She’ll climb down as you approach.
- Speak with Doris a few times to get her to join up with you and Chad. The great thing about the two gun nuts is that they can very much take care of themselves.
- Run for it. You don’t need to stop or deal with many, or any, of the zombies between here and there. Check your map as you go and make for the security room. To get there, you have to go back through Royal Flush Plaza.
- It shouldn’t be any sweat to get Doris and Chad back to the Safe House with their weapons. Once your done with them, make some new weapons in the maintenance room and head back Royal Flush.
- COMBO CARD: Your reward for all that work is the Pole Weapon combo card. It’ll earn you additional PP when you build the combo weapon it describes. More Combo Cards become available from saving survivors, defeating psychopaths, and building weapon combinations.
- ACHIEVEMENT: Find 25 Combo Cards and the “Half Deck” Achievement (or Trophy) is yours. Get all of them and you earn the “Full Deck” Achievement. You’ll also earn the “Life Saver” Achievement for getting all the cards from survivor rescues; the “Tough Guy” Achievement for getting all the cards for killing psychopaths; and the “Curiously Inventive” Achievement when you get all the cards from building all the combinations you can.
Case 1-2 Through Case 1-4
- Set your Guide Arrow and run through Royal Flush back outside. You don’t have to go far — just across the Platinum Strip – to make it to the Fortune City Hotel.
- After a cutscene, stick with Rebecca as she heads to the security room. Follow her. She’ll drop you by a bathroom so you can save along the way.
- Watch along the sides of the hotel walkway for weapons and items — sledgehammers, two-by-fours, and, near some scaffolding, a chainsaw. You’ll need them.
- You’ll reach the end of your journey some time later, and watch another quick cutscene. Stick with Rebecca and pound your way through another batch of zombies.
- Up around the corner, you’ll hit the security room. Open the door to start up another cutscene.
- Time to return to the Safe House. The Guide Arrow will take you back through Americana Casino. Look for a wheelchair and use the moving walkways to expedite your trip. Dodge zombies along the way to move quickly.
- You don’t have long to get back, so try to avoid entanglements. It shouldn’t be hard to get there without hitting too many enemies along the way.
- Get back to the Security Room when you return to the Safe House. You’ll get a new cutscene when you arrive.
- That wraps up Case 1. Now it’s time to finish up some loose ends out in Fortune City before Case 2 starts up.
Welcome to the Family
Survivors: Kenneth and Doug
- To rescue these two guys, you have to cross to the opposite end of the map, and the clock is ticking. It can be tough, but set your Guide Arrow and head for Palisades Mall.
- Avoid entanglements along the way and you should get to the two survivors with a little time to spare. They’re in a bad way, so help them fight off the horde of zombies they’re dealing with.
- Once the hunting store they’re in is clear, you can start talking with the two men and convincing them to come. Talk to the man with the knife, Kenneth, first, then to the man with the helmet. When they both sign on, you’re ready to leave.
- TIP: Before you go, check the wall to the left of the checkout desk — there’s a broadsword on the wall, and it’s one of the finest weapons in the game. You’re going to want that for the long walk back.
- With the two men in tow, set your Guide Arrow to Case 2 and truck it back to Royal Flush. It’s a helluva walk, but for their part, your two survivors are decent at getting out of zombie messes. Don’t lead them into anything too hairy and they’ll keep your pace.
- Slice through anything that gets in your way or looks like it’ll be irritating to your two followers. Head all the way back to the Atlantic Casino, then you can cross the strip into Royal Flush.
- From there, it’s easy. Just truck it back to your maintenance tunnel and turn these two guys in.
- Time is short to get Esther, and she is actually not as close as she seems when you leave the maintenance tunnel.
- As you come out of the maintenance tunnel, the Guide Arrow will take you all over. You’re looking for a flight of stairs up to the upper level, and there are a few.
- Keep your eyes open and make your way up to the top level. You want to get to Children’s Castle, a store above the round rotunda stairs.
- It takes a crazy amount of convincing to Esther to join you. Just keep talking to her and killing the zombies around her.
- After you finally get Esther to join up, you’ll realize she’s insanely slow. You’re going to have to carry her. Pick Esther up with B. You can move fast while carrying her, but you can’t fight — you can only kick zombies out of your way.
- That’s okay because you don’t have far to go. Bypass the rotunda stairs and head left – you should find an escalator closeby. Take that down to minimize the hassle of getting back to the ground floor and you should be well on your way back to the Safe Room.
- The rest is just zombie-dodging, and you should be getting good at that. You can set the Guide Arrow to Case 2 — it shouldn’t have started just yet, if you’ve been moving fast — to help guide you back to the Safe House.
- TIP: If you do go down the rotunda stairs — which is tough, as they’re flooded with zombies — look for a wheelchair. You can stand it up and put Esther inside it, then run behind it and plow through zombies. You actually run faster when pushing a wheelchair than you otherwise would.
- Back at the vent hatch, just head through to the Safe House while carrying Esther to take her back. Accept her thanks, then get back out into Fortune City — you probably don’t have long before the next set of survivors expires.
- Get back to the Safe Room before 7:30 p.m. to start the next case.
- You’ll watch a short cutscene and need to get over to Palisades Mall for Case 2-2, but in the meantime, there are a few survivors you can save before you go over there.
- The first set are the closest to expire, so make for Americana Casino, which is connected to Royal Flush.
Survivors: Stuart and Brittany
- Note that nighttime zombies are faster and more aggressive than daytime zombies. Blaze through and past them and make for the casino.
- You’ll find survivors Brittany and Stuart behind a barricade, destroying slot machines. Grab some money but avoid being smacked by Stuart.
- Talk to Brittany. She’ll side with you. After that, knock Stuart down and he’ll stop attacking you. Talk to him again and he’ll join up.
- Now talk to Brittany one more time and she’ll join up as well. Time to run back to Royal Flush.
- Note that it’s tougher to get back to the Safe House because you don’t have a reliable Guide Arrow — make sure you don’t accidentally follow the one telling you to keep working on Case 2. Use the map and make your way back to Royal Flush and safety.
- Don’t worry too much about Stuart and Brittney, as they’re generally pretty capable.
- Drop them off and get ready to head back to Americana, as you’ve got several more missions there.
- NOTE: If you don’t mind dragging Stuart and Brittany around, you can try to do “Lush-ious Lady” while you’re here. It’s more or less on your way, and the survivor you get there you have to carry anyway.
- Set your Guide Arrow and you’ll find this one right away inside Americana Casino — it’s right around the corner from the path into Royal Flush. In fact, it’s pretty convenient and quick to do it while you’re already in American for “Workers Compensation.”
- The Arrow will lead you to a closed personnel door. Open it and go inside, then go through another door to find Kristin puking like crazy. She’s in no shape to move.
- Talk to her until she’s convinced to join, then pick her up (she’ll want something to drink — booze from the nearby Americana bar is fine. Hair of the dog!). You’re carrying her back to the Safe House.
- It’s actually easier to carry her. The Safe House is right around the corner from here, so just haul it back there and drop her off. Easy PP.
- ACHIEVEMENT: The “Saving the Day” Achievement unlocks after you bring back this batch of survivors.
Survivors: Elrod and Trixie-Lynn
- You’ll probably get this notification around when you’re doing either “Workers Compensation” or “Lush-ious Lady,” but once you do, you’ll want to wrap up whatever you’re doing and head that way quickly.
- You’re headed to the Arena, the most direct route is through Americana Casino.
- Getting through the casino is easy — the Arena is packed with zombies, however, and it’s a mess. Push through them and make for the back of the Arena.
- After you hammer through the zombies, go into the hallway and clear the area around the fire that’s in the doorway of the dressing room. When you’re not threatened by zombies, take the fire extinguisher off the wall and use it to put out the fire. Aim by holding LT and fire it with RT.
- Once you’ve cleared the fire, get into the room and kill the zombies after Trixie-Lynn. Speak with the two survivors a few times and they’ll join up with you.
- Getting Elrod and Trixie-Lynn through the arena is a huge pain. You might want to consider picking up as many weapons as you can and just killing most of the zombies on the center arena stairs — or just trying to run through as fast as you can, mostly along the highest section of the arena steps.
- Either way, you need to get across the Arena to America Casino. Once you’re clear of the arena, things should get a little easier. Keep moving fast and hug the walls. Keep an eye on the map and get into Royal Flush.
- Back on your home turf, drop off your survivors. You shouldn’t have anything pressing for a bit now, but the next item on the agenda by deadline will be Case 2-2.
Ted and Snowflake
- At some point before the end of the first night, head over to Yucatan Casino. It’s at the far end of the city.
- Bring food and some strong combo weapons. If you’ve found dynamite and a bow (which is in Royal Flush in the tobacco shop), you can make a Blam Bow, which is an effective ranged weapon to use against Ted, the psychopath you’re dealing with.
- You’ll also want a couple healing items on-hand, and a few good melee weapons. Ted is not too difficult, and a concerted effort to level him will do just that.
- So when you get to Yucatan, you’ll see a cutscene of Ted and Snowflake — a freaking tiger. Ted’s trying to feed you to Snowflake, and Snowflake is pretty angry in general. The loose tiger also is part of this fight.
- Ignore Snowflake except to try to dodge her. The cat is huge and will knock you down, and it’s also really fast. If you can get out of the way, you should.
- Meanwhile, get close to Ted and pound him. He’s not a great fighter. You may need to heal, but even at fairly low levels, you should be able to just pound on him and dodge his attacks by stepping clear.
- Upon beating Ted, you’ll get another cutscene — but Snowflake is still running around, mauling zombies and attacking you. You can fight and kill her, but it’s not the most beneficial approach.
- Instead, run over to the rocks where you first saw Ted and Snowflake. Quickly jump up to the higher rocks — you’ll see objects up there that you can grab. You’re looking for a couple of steaks up here.
- Don’t eat those steaks. Instead, you need to feed three of them to Snowflake. There’s another one to the right of the rocky area if you’re standing on it and looking out into the casino. Look for a small rock with the third steak on it.
- To feed Snowflake, you need to use yourself as bait. Put a steak on the ground in a relatively open area — you might need to hack through some zombies to clear space, as they distract Snowflake and cause her to miss the steaks.
- Now stand around 10 or 12 steps back from the steak, so it’s between you and wherever Snowflake is. Eventually she’ll come bounding in your direction. If you’re too close to the steak, she’ll ignore it and go for the squirming meal you represent. You want her to come toward you, but see the steak first. You can also try calling her with Y to get her moving in your direction.
- Snowflake will see the steak, walk up to it slowly, and eat it if she’s not distracted or attacked. She’ll get a little health back. Repeat this process three times and suddenly, you’ve tamed the cat. You can treat her like any other survivor.
- TIP: If you need more steaks, check Baron Von Brathaus in Yucatan, and the Food Court that’s attached to the casino in the grille restaurant. Both contain steaks as backup. It takes three to win over Snowflake.
- ACHIEVEMENT: Getting Snowflake on your side unlocks the achievement, “The Skill to Survive.”
- Once Snowflake joins you, you can return her to the Safe House. Feel free to bring the tiger with you as you round up a few more survivors, however, as the cat is more than capable of taking care of itself.
- Back at the Safe House, you get a PP bonus for rescuing Snowflake. Instead of leaving again, go to the Security Room and hit B to “talk” to the tiger.
- Now you’ll give Snowflake as a gift to Katey. This goes toward your “Father of the Year” Achievement. You can’t get it any other way.
- Time to head to Palisades Mall. Go outside from Royal Flush and make your way across the strip. You’ll remember the route from last time.
- Inside Atlantic Casino, you should have a really easy time avoiding battles. In fact, jumping over chairs and hugging the walls should make it really easy to dodge through the zombies as much as you want. Keep an eye out for money while you go.
- It’s a similarly easy story inside Palisades. Keep moving through to the back of the mall, and look for zombie bodies on the floor near a door. Pop that open and go into the Underground beyond.
- Follow the hallway to the back of the area to trigger a cutscene.
- You’ll have to fight your way out of the room, with three gun-wielding mercenaries battling you. They don’t fire constantly, though, so pull an agile weapon like a bat and lay into them.
- Dodge the mercs’ fire by strafing them, and look for the one that’s separated from the others by shelves. Run up and whack him in the face with a bat or something to knock him down.
- Now spin around and do the same to the two other mercs who are moving to assist the guy you just pelted. Hit them fast before they can take aim, if you can.
- If the mercs don’t come after you, wait patiently and finish off the one you were fighting. Grab his gun when he drops it and use it against the other two mercs. Killing all three triggers another cutscene.
Catch the Train
- Gun the bike’s engine. You’re immune to zombies while at speed here, so just keep it up and use this opportunity to mow a few down and raise your PP for hitting a milestone like 500 or 1,000.
- Your goal here is to use a ramp to jump your bike onto the train. Ramps pop up on either side of the train every now and then, so shoot for the open area and just avoid dying until you find one. You’ll need to be pretty close to the train to trigger the cutscene that comes with a successful jump.
- The trick is not to get blown up or shot in the meantime. There are two mercs on the train, and one of which throws junk at you while the other opens fire. The junk is more dangerous, because it bounces along the ground and is hard to see through all the zombies.
- Do your best to watch for throws and avoid getting too close to the train, while keeping your speed up. The quicker you get pretty close to alongside and hit a ramp, the sooner you’ll get through this section.
- There are no major barriers between here and there, except time. Watch for an upcoming ramp — generally any structure up ahead on the tracks is a good indicator – and get your jump when the train comes close to one.
- When you’ve hit the jump, Chuck will get onto the back car of the train. Quickly make your way to the left of the car and hide behind the boxes there. The mercs won’t be able to shoot you, and one will obligingly come looking for you.
- Wail this first guy in the face with a weapon (or shoot him if you still have a merc machine gun), then use his gun to shoot the other merc, who’s further down. When you’ve dealt with both, you can grab a healing item like orange juice from the ground to your right.
- Head forward. You’ll run into more mercs — exercise the same strategy, staying out of their line of fire. Kill the one closest with the gun you have, take his gun, and kill the next one. Repeat this until you’re to the front of the train.
- Gather up all the weapons you can — these machine guns are useful for combos with the wheelchair and robot bear, and will be good to fight psychopaths with. Then head to the front of the train and open the door — after you’ve healed up, of course.
- That’s another cutscene down. When you get off the train, you’ll still be in the Underground, and can use the tunnels as a (somewhat) fast means of getting around. Get in the golf cart beside the ramp near where the train stopped and you can drive it to another exit point. Your next goal is to procure Zombrex for Katey.
- This mission might be a line on some Zombrex for Katey (or for other missions). You need to go to Silver Strip to get to it.
- When you get outside, follow the Guide Arrow to One Little Duck Bingo.
- Start talking to Sven and keep doing so until he listens to you about coming back. Eventually he’ll join up.
- TIP: Check the counter near Sven for a magazine that will give you a skill boost.
- Knock out any zombies that are coming into the room and then get back outside. You need to run down the strip to your right, all the way back to Royal Flush. Luckily, this is easy and Sven is capable.
- Stick to the walls and bypass the zombies until you get to the plaza entrance. Clear a hole and pop inside when Sven gets back to you. Once you’re in there, just lead him back to the Safe House quickly.
- Your reward for finishing this one is Zombrex. It’s probably getting close to 7 a.m. — you’ll want to hang onto this hit of Zombrex to deal with Katey when that happens. But you also need more if you want to save another survivor.
- This guy is on the second floor of Royal Flush, right above the Safe Room. He’s injured, and y0u’ll need to get him some Zombrex in order to move him.
- You can purchase Zombrex from any pawn shop – there’s one on the second floor of Royal Flush, actually, and right near Wily Travels, where you’ll find Jared. You’ll need $25,000, however.
- TIP: If you need spare cash, you can go online and play the Terror is Reality multiplayer mode. All the money you earn there is taken back into the single-player game with you.
- Take to the casinos if you need cash, as there’s a lot lying around and you can play slots or destroy machines to get more. If you’re pressed for time and only need a little money, go store to store in Royal Flush, destroying the cash registers. You’ll get between $300 and $500 for each register you break.
- After you’ve got the money, head to the second floor and into the Pawn Shop, Just in Time Payday Loans. Purchase the Zombrex and take it to Jared.
- With the Zombrex in-hand, Jared joins up. He’s slow and useless, however. You’ll need to assist him.
- COMBO CARD: Jared will give you the Hacker combo card after you save him, which requires a computer case and flashlight.
- Give Jared your shoulder by pressing B. You can help him move, but you won’t be able to fight — just as if you were carrying him. You can still kick, though.
- Make your way back to the escalator and then down to the Safe House. It shouldn’t take you long and you just have to dodge the zombies between you and there.
Meet the Contestants
- TIP: Try to bring a bowie knife to this fight. You can sometimes find them on zombies wearing bluish shirts with dark hair.
- Go down to the front of the Arena, where you’ll trigger a cutscene. Once you do, this fight stays live until you kill Leon, the psychopath, so if you have other stuff to do (or items you’d like to bring), feel free.
- Once you have the bike key, grab the bike behind you and ride it down the strip to Fortune Park. There you’ll find Leon, who will try to strafe you with his bike and knock you down with his chainsaws.
- You’ll get absolutely pummeled by this thing if you’re not careful, so the trick is to stay clear of Leon and not let him annihilate you with the blades.
- After Leon passes you and makes an attack, or runs into something, he stalls on his bike for a minute. This is the key moment to attack him — you can do serious damage here. But you need a proper weapon.
- Take that bowie knife you brought and check the map for Fortune Park. See that maintenance room? You want to go there — fast. Drive up to door and get inside, where you’ll find a pair of boxing gloves.
- Combine the gloves with the bowie knife to make the Knife Gloves. These things are mean and very powerful. They’re going to be your weapon of choice against Leon.
- Get back outside and jump on the bike. Find Leon and try to get him to attack and miss. When he stops, get over to him, hop off the bike, and wail on him with the Knife Gloves.
- You should do serious damage. Three or so rounds of this and Leon will go down under the strain, triggering a new cutscene.
Chuck the Role Model
- TIP: Bring good combo weapons, and specifically ranged weapons like firearms, to this fight. It’s no fun otherwise. Also, food like Orange Juice from the Safe House cafeteria is extremely important.
- Cut through Americana Casino and go toward the arena. When you see the moving walkway, go to the bathroom on the right side wall, then head all the way left.
- You’ll get a cutscene of your first psychopath, Brandon. This guy is super-irritating — he’s fast with that shiv and will spend his time hidden among the stalls, trying to ambush you as you move around in the bathroom.
- Meanwhile, if you stand still, Brandon will launch a monkey-style jumping attack against you that not only hurts, it sends you flying. Even if you do manage to stand your ground and nail him with a bat or something, he’ll keep coming and still hit you.
- The worst of Brandon’s arsenal is a jump attack if he lands it on your back. When this happens, he pins you to the ground and knifes you like crazy. Avoid that at all costs.
- Brandon will fall under any serious attack from a combo weapon, but the trick is to get him to do his jump attack — and miss. This is no easy feat, but you can accomplish it with a quick move sideways out of the way to get clear.
- You can also try jumping when Brandon looks like he’s about to land a jumping attack on you. You still take the damage, but this has the effect of neutralizing Brandon’s ability to send you spinning into the distance. He also still reacts as though he missed, hitting the ground and pausing there a moment.
- TIP: There’s a crappy food item in the back corner, just to the side of the door you entered through, if you need a little boost.
- After you make Brandon miss his jump move, he’ll pause on the ground before standing back up. This is a key moment — lean into him when this happens with the Knife Gloves or something of similar power, or even the Spiked Bat or Defiler combos. You need to seriously hurt him.
- Three or so rounds of tearing Brandon apart when he misses attacking you and you’ll kill him. You’ll probably need a serious heal between now and then, so bring extra food.
- Afterward, speak to Brandon’s hostage, Vikki, to get her to join up with you. Give her a spare weapon — there are a few things lying around.
- You just have to lead Vikki back to the Safe House, which should be easy because she’s fast and has a weapon now. There’s also a wheelchair just down the hall in front of the maintenance room on the way back into the casino, which makes you move even faster. Getting back should be no problem.
- You need to be back at the Safe House security room at about 10:30 a.m. to trigger another cutscene.
- When you’re done watching it, you’re free to go about your business for a while. Meantime, you’ll get a message when you get back to Royal Flush saying that merc groups are working in Americana, Yucatan and Slot Ranch casinos. If you go through them, you’ll be attacked, so be careful and leave a wide path until you’re ready.
- You have lots of time to complete Case 3-2, so feel free to go do other things first.
Survivors: Willa and Terri
- You’ll need to cross Silver Strip to get down to South Plaza, where you’ll find the construction workers. The workers are right next to an Underground access point, if it’s easier to go through there from where you are.
- If you go through Fortune City Hotel, which is the way the Guide Arrow takes you from Royal Flush, look for a wheelchair right when you enter South Plaza. Bring it with you to the survivors, but try not to trash it by running over too many zombies.
- When you find the construction workers, quickly kill the zombies surrounding Terri. When she’s in the clear, climb up on the scaffold and talk to Willa, the other worker.
- Willa joins up immediately. Climb down and get her to come with you, then talk to Terri and get her to join. When you’ve got both with you, get your wheelchair and get Willa to sit in it.
- Now it’s a simple matter of pushing Willa back through South Plaza to the door that leads outside to the strip, back in the Fortune City Hotel. If you don’t crash into anything that’s too tough or break the wheelchair, it’ll last you that whole time. Otherwise, you have to carry Willa.
- The quickest way back is through South Plaza, through the hotel, across the strip to Royal Flush. When you get to the strip, you can probably just carry Willa the rest of the way back — Terri takes care of herself.
- Once you’re inside Royal Flush, if you feel you need it, stop and snag a wheelchair from a zombie on the left side of the rotunda. You can put Willa in that and run her back to the Safe House.
- Drop off both Terri and Willa for a big PP boost.
- COMBO CARD: The Ripper Combo card is yours either at Level 16 or for finishing this mission. It has you combining a saw blade and cement saw to construct it.
- Time to make the long trip to Palisades Mall. Stock up on weapons and food for the journey.
- Head to Palisades, following your Guide Arrow. If you come in through Atlantic Casino, the Guide Arrow will take you to the second floor, then down through the sporting goods store. Keep track of this, as it’s a handy way back up in a second.
- The Guide Arrow will take you to the tanning salon, and you’ll find Linette in the back, near the tanning beds. Talk to her and she requests a drink.
- You’ll find coffee back in the store proper, if you need it. Bring it back to Linette and give it to her and she’ll join you, but she can’t walk.
- Linette also knows an amazing shortcut between Palisades and Royal Flush, located on the second floor of Palisades in a store called Brand New U. Go to your Watch or Map and set the Guide Arrow to “Linette’s Passage.”
- Head back to the sporting goods store — it was one or two store fronts to the left as you leave the store in which you found Linette — and take those stairs back up. Follow the arrow or check the map to get to Brand New U. You’ll find the shortcut in one of the changing rooms.
- ACHIEVEMENT: Inside Brand New U is a robot bear, on the back wall of the median island, next to the changing rooms. If you snag it at a later date, you can bring it back to Katey and give it to her to unlock the “Father of the Month” Achievement. Give her all the gifts available in the game to get the “Father of the Year” Achievement. Here’s our list of all the gifts and their locations.
- Using the shortcut, you arrive in the bathroom closest to the Safe House entrance in Royal Flush, which is just spectacular — remember that, you’ll want it for later. From here, just carry Linette back to the Safe House to collect your PP reward.
Tastes Like Chicken
Survivors: Cinda, Jasper
- Set your Guide Arrow and head over to Slot Ranch. There’s a restaurant on the first floor, and it’s your destination. Save before you get there, as this is a tough fight.
- TIP: You’ll want to bring a fast, reliable combo weapon. I had decent success with the Driller, which is made with by combining a hand drill and a spear. You can find a spear near the moving walkway in Royal Flush.
- It’s not too bad a hike, and if you come from Royal Flush, you’ll cut through the casinos to get there. Bring some good combo melee weapons, as you’re about to get into a fight.
- When you arrive at the restaurant, Antoine, the chef, will attack you. He’s formidable, but not as bad as the other psychos you’ve fought up to this point. Bring your usual compliment of extra food — there’s some in the restaurant — and strong weapons and you should be okay.
- You’ll see Antoine’s attack pattern right after you trigger the fight — he throws cutlery and pans at you, then runs around eating to restore health. When he’s eating, he’s also vulnerable, and that’s when you want to attack with your Driller if you have it, or a comparably fast combo weapon if you don’t.
- Try to stay close to Antoine, but be ready to put objects between you and him following every time he eats — this is routinely when he throws things as you move away from him (distant proximity seems to trigger the throw when he’s not running away from you). The vertical columns are especially convenient. They separate the kitchen from the dining room.
- Antoine runs from the kitchen to the dining room, eats, runs back, and eats again. You have to do more damage than he restores every time he eats, so as soon as he runs from you, pursue him. Be careful you don’t get too close, as he’ll come after you with his pan if you do.
- When Antoine stops to eat, get to him fast and give him a pair of Driller stabs. You should be able to execute two stabs fast, then back away to avoid his pan counter-attack swing.
- Time to run. Antoine is now coming after you, and will chase you to hit you. He’s faster than you, so he’ll close the distance and go into the swing animation. If it’s the slower, wider swing, step back and give him the Driller right afterward. Be careful of the one-two combo swing he likes to do. It’ll knock you down.
- Once you’ve gotten out of the way of the pan counter attack, it’s time to run for the nearest corner to avoid getting smacked in the head with a thrown object. These will usually knock you on your back, which is annoying as well.
- Right after Antoine throws pots at you, he runs to the next food stop. Meet him there and pummel him with the Driller and repeat the process. Use any pan swings he tries to hit you with on the trip as an opportunity to stab him an extra time or two.
- You’ll have to repeat this process a few times before Antoine goes down, so be careful to conserve your health. Spend some time learning Antoine’s attack timing and getting clear of his moves, and learning how fast you can attack him before running. Speed is your best weapon here, as well as your best defense.
- When Antoine finally dies, go check the walk-in freezer to find your first survivor, Cinda. She won’t come with you, though, until you locate another one — Jasper.
- You may have heard Jasper shouting at you when you came into the Slot Ranch food court. He’s around — in fact, if you check your map, you’ll find him on top of the restaurant called Hamburger Fiefdom.
- To get up to Jasper and talk to him, go to the snack machines alongside Lombardi’s. You can climb on those machines, then jump to the awning above Lombardi’s to reach Jasper. Talk to him to get him to join up, then go back down the same way.
- Double-back to Cucina Donnacci and pick up Cinda. Time to return to the Safe House. Make sure you outfit both your survivors with weapons.
- Now you should be free to run back to the Safe House with the survivors. Go through Americana Casino and you’ll have little difficulty.
- This case will have been running for a while even though we’ve been covering some other side missions. The best way to deal with it is just to stop by the mercs who are drilling the vaults and kill them on your way to completing other missions.
- Drop by Americana Casino and you’ll find the first set of drilling mercs right around the corner from the door from Royal Flush, on your left. The first two are a little distracted by zombies — run up and hit them with a melee weapon to take them out.
- Snag an assault rifle from one of the merc bodies and use it against the mercs inside the vault vestibule. Just keep hammering them with a gun until it’s empty, and grab a fresh one off the guy you just killed.
- When you’ve murdered all the mercs, go to the big drill and smack it with a weapon. A few hits and it’ll explode, signalling job done. Time to go to the next casino.
- You’re next destination is the Slot Ranch. If you’ve got “Tastes Like Chicken” to do, this is a good one to handle on the way over, or immediately afterward.
- Repeat the process from Americana. If you have a gun at the outset, it’s even easier — blast the mercs on the outside, get new weapons, and repeat the process. Use the wall and doorways for cover and you should be able to kill both the mercs outside, then the three inside, while taking minimal damage.
- Trash the drill. That’s two down. The next stop is in Yucatan Casino, which isn’t far from Slot Ranch.
- The Yucatan guys are set up slightly better, and you might have a harder fight dealing with them because there are more in one place at a time. These mercs cover each other better, simply because they’re bunched up more.
- Clear out Yucatan and you’ll get a last assignment — there’s a group of mercs outside Americana Hotel. You need to head to the strip.
- Follow the Guide Arrow and you’ll discover the mercs guarding an armored car. They’re irritating, but you should be able to use the car and the zombies to isolate and kill them.
- There are about six, so try to get in close and finish a few off fast. If you have an assault rifle from your last pillage, use it to thin the enemy out from a distance. Watch out for all those zombies though.
- Kill off the mercs and you can destroy the car. Use any melee weapon (there are also propane tanks nearby you can blow up, but they’re less than extremely effective) and just smack it until it explodes to end the case.
- You’ll get a message at some point saying that things at the Safe House are getting a little problematic.
- When you’re headed back to the Safe House anyway (but before the time expires), stop at the top of the steps and speak with Stuart.
- If you get back in time, you should be able to talk with Stuart repeatedly and dismantle the mutiny before it becomes a problem, wrapping up the mission.
Par for the Course
- Easy one — she’s right around the corner from the Safe House. Set your Guide Arrow and go find Luz in the sporting goods store.
- She’s under heavy attack from zombies, so get over there and save her.
- When the zombies are dead, speak with Luz and she’ll join up after two chat sessions.
- That’s it. Head back to the Safe Room for your PP reward.
Everybody Knows Slappy
- When you head down to deal with Case 4, it’s a good time to go handle Slappy. The two events are close together both spatially and temporally. Bring a spare combo weapon, like the Defiler, although just about anything that’s fairly strong will do the job.
- Enter Palisades Mall and climb to the second floor. You’ll stumble on Slappy before long as you follow the Guide Arrow — he’s waiting just outside a toy store.
- After the cutscene, Slappy will attack you with his two flamethrowers. He also roller skates, which makes him totally irritating and really hard to fight.
- Here’s the trick to this battle: if you throw something heavy at Slappy, or jump up and kick him in the head as he glides by, you can knock him down. You can also make him slip by throwing a liquid like wine down in front of him, then run up and hit him to knock him down.
- When Slappy’s on his ass, he’s totally vulnerable for you to pummel. Run up with your favorite combo weapon and just lay into him. When he gets up, back off quickly, as he responds with a spinning flamethrower attack.
- To deal with Slappy’s attacks, try to keep an eye on him. Specifically you need to avoid his ranged gun shots, which will knock you down. The rest of the time, just try to kick him as he skates by, and deal with the small amount of flamethrower damage you take.
- If you get into trouble, go two stores down to the wine store and snag a bottle. There’s also some wine toward the back of the art gallery right next to where Slappy fights you. Both these locations offer a lot of cover, so you can hide out, heal up, and get back in the fight.
- If you have to stop and drink enough that Chuck pukes (three drinks), try to do so in the art gallery. You can hide out in the back of the store until his nausea wears off, so you don’t get destroyed from alcohol poisoning during the fight.
- COMBO CARD: You’ll pull down the Flamethrower card for defeating Slappy.
- ACHIEVEMENT: Around now you should be getting your “Vigilante Justice” Achievement, depending on when you beat Slappy and Amber and Crystal. It rewards you for taking down 5 psychopaths.
- You’ve gotta head all the way to the far end of the map, to Shoal Night Club in Yucatan Casino. It’s a bit of a walk, so bring proper weapons and so on.
- You’re walking into an annoying trap — be ready with strong combo weapons and spare food, like orange juice. In fact, bring at least three major health items. You may want to save right before the battle as well, to shorten your walk.
- Be aware that when you arrive, you’re going to have to fight the twins, Amber and Crystal. They’re tough and fast, and both have swords.
- But there are some options as you approach Shoal. For one, if you check in the Yucatan vault, you’ll find a light machine gun, which can be handy if you want it. Check the nearby restaurant also for a steak, which will completely refill your health. You should have lots and lots (and lots) of health items.
- TIP: Check behind the counter, just outside the kitchen, in the Yucatan Casino’s restaurant for a magazine that increases the amount of health you receive from food.
- Finally, you’re ready to head up to Shoal. Pound through the zombies in the tunnel entrance. There’s money and some weapons in the little coat check area to the right at the end of the tunnel. To the left is the night club proper.
- When you get inside, pick one of the twins and zero in. There’s no finesse going on in this fight — you need to pick a twin and beat her senseless. Only one has to die for you to win, and in fact, you should completely and totally ignore the other one.
- Make your choice and pursue your twin. Avoid the women’s rushing sword attacks — they’ll run extra fast at you, dragging the blade past as they go to hit you. If you need some distance, give them a run for a bit around the outside of the room. You should be able to avoid their attacks, and eventually they’ll back off so you can heal.
- For combat, try to stick with your twin even when she runs away. Crystal and Amber each have a special attack — one jumping in the air, one sliding on the ground — and if you dodge or interrupt them, you’ll make them vulnerable.
- Really, though this is a battle of attrition. Stand your ground and do as much hurt as you can. Heal and repeat the process. Kill your twin with brute strength and a good Spiked Bat or Defiler (or similar instrument) for best results.
- After the battle, you’ll free Rebecca in a cutscene that resolves Case 4. Before you leave, check the club for a couple of handy katana swords from your fallen enemies. They’re highly effective.
Here Comes the Groom
Survivors: Danni and Jasper
- Here we have one of the easier psychopath battles of the game, with Randy, the resident crazy, being a bit of a pushover.
- TIP: Jasper is not actually part of this mission. He’s a survivor you can snag while you’re out on the strip, but you can’t do so unless you’re carrying a gun. Check the casino vaults if you need one — he’s stationed out front of Americana Casino.
- First, bring a decent combo weapon or something cool like one of the Twins’ swords. The chapel is out on the strip and is marked with a few dead zombies around the outside.
- Pop inside and watch the cutscene. Afterward, Randy will come after you with his chainsaw. He’s fast and can hurt you badly, but if you play this right, he won’t hit you even once.
- When Randy guns it for you, hop over one of the walls surrounding the church pews. Suddenly you’re out of his reach. He’ll truck it around to the other side (or try to hit you over/through the wall), and you can just jump over again.
- Randy is extremely stupid. He’ll continue to chase you around the church, with you hitting maybe two buttons in order to totally escape him, before he’s completely winded. When that happens, hop over the wall and smack him (or hit him through the wall). He’ll fall down and you get a bunch of free hits on him.
- Get clear after a few seconds — Randy comes up spinning with his chainsaw like a top, and that hurts too. Repeat the jumping process until you find him out of breath again, then knock him down, rough him up, and get clear. Three rounds of this should be all it takes.
- When you’ve finished with Randy, you can snag a huge chainsaw from over by the altar, as well as recruit the woman he was t
There are no comments yet. Be the first!