Posted on November 1, 2012, CJ Miozzi Descent Being Recreated in UDK
I’m sure that many of you who played PC games in the ’90s have fond memories of Descent, the six-degrees-of-freedom FPS that made us more disoriented than a ride at Six Flags. Well, a modder/indie dev is working on recreating the original Descent in Epic’s UDK.
He’s only been at it a few weeks and has already accomplished the following:
- Complete 6DOF movement with proper acceleration on every axis and double/triple chording
- Weapon system basics for primary and secondary weapons that can be fired simultaneously
- Laser and ball fire projectiles
- Basic robot AI, currently tailored to the Class 1 and 2 Drone
- Spawn points for easy placement of robots in a map
The dev has no plans on stopping there, however. The following features are in the pipeline:
- A retelling of the original story
- Remakes of the original levels, with an emphasis on a thriller/horror atmosphere
- Remodeled and animated original robots with advanced AI
- All the weapons from Descent with potential new ones mixed in
- High-detail Pyro-GX ship model with 3D cockpit view
- More diverse gameplay, but with a strong focus on the basics that made Descent great
Check out his work in progress:
I played the hell out of that map in Unreal Tournament 3, but I’ve never played it with six-degrees-of-freedom movement. Looking promising.
For more information, or to find out how you can help with this project, visit the official website.