After their success with the 2016 stealth game Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, which was visibly a nod to the classic real-time tactics titles like Commandos and Desperados, Mimimi Productions is now announced as the official developer of Desperados III, originally referred to as Codename Kartoffel (literally: Codename Potato) under the wing of THQ Nordic. The announcement trailer is CGI only and without actual gameplay footage (which you can otherwise see on the linked game homepage), but it does show exactly how these games were played - try something, fail, load a saved game, repeat.
You take control of a ragtag band becoming a highly functional group of unlikely heroes and heroines. The very different strong personalities struggle to cooperate at first, but ultimately join forces to combine their distinctive specialties and challenge a seemingly superior foe.
- Command up to five Desperados and use their lethal skills to stealthily thin out the enemy rows
- Approach each mission with a big variety of different solutions and paths
- Resolve seemingly impossible setups with careful planning and perfectly timed
- Witness the glory of classic Wild West scenarios by day and night
- Defeat your foes choosing between deadly and non-lethal options, stealth and blazing guns
- Adjust the game to your playstyle with various difficulty settings and special replayability challenges
The exact release date is not known, but is announced to be some time in 2019.
UPDATE: We've stumbled upon the B-roll on THQ Nordic's public media asset page, and it shows 19 minutes of in-game footage!