Posted on May 12, 2012, Kevin Thielenhaus Diablo 3: Cheat Codes, Easter Eggs, Glitches and Secrets
Blizzard is known for their sense of humor, and the temptation to sneak in hidden jokes must be strong for the developer after finally returning to the Diablo series. A fan-favorite title with a legion of rapid followers, Diablo 3 is sure to provide the laughs, but also secrets for only the most eagle-eyed and voracious players. Help us find all the easter eggs, codes, glitches and secrets we can — leave us a comment below if you’ve found something crazy that the world must know about.
WARNING: PLOT SPOILERS AHEAD
Lich King’s Helmet?
During the “Machines of War” quest in Act 3, you’ll travel to the Icefall Caves. Keep an eye out on Level 1, and look for a grooved bump in the map. If you look carefully, you can spot the Lich King’s helmet frozen in ice.
Cheat Codes, Easter Eggs, Glitches and Secrets
This is a living document — check back as we provide new updates, or leave a suggestion in the comments.
- The key to unlocking the secret level is the Staff of Herding. To craft it, you’ll need a rare recipe, 5 rare items, and 150,000 gold on Normal.
- To craft the Staff of Herding, you’ll first need to find the recipe. It’s been reported to drop in Act 4 on Normal difficulty, from Izual.
- The recipe requires these materials: (1) Wirt’s Cowbell, (1) Black Mushroom, (1) Liquid Rainbow, (1) Gibbering Gemstone, (1) Leoric’s Shinbone
- All materials bind on pickup. They cannot be traded or sold.
- Wirt’s Cowbell can be purchased in Act 2 from the NPC Squirt the Peddler in the Caldeum Bazaar. Find the item under the miscellaneous tab sold for 100,000 Gold.
- Black Mushroom can be found in Act 1, as a pick-up in the Cathedral, Level 1. Click the mushrooms to find it.
- Liquid Rainbow can be found in Act 2, inside the Mysterious Cave in the Dahlgur Oasis. Open the Mysterious Chest, you’ll find it by saving an old man and he’ll open the cave for you.
- Leoric’s Shinbone can be found in Leoric’s Manner in Act 1, where it’s a random drop in the fireplace.
- Gibbering Gemstone can be found as a random drop by Chiltara in the Caves of Frost randomly generated before you reach the bridge in Act 3. Search the caves in the Battlefields.
- Once crafted, the Staff of Herding can be used to open a portal into the secret level — Whimsyshire.
- To open the portal, you’ll need to find a dead cow in Old Tristram, west of the road.
- To reach higher level versions of the secret area, you’ll need to construct special new versions for each difficulty level.
Conjure You Up Some Water?
In Act 2 while exploring the desert with the Enchantress, she will say something like “If you get thirsty, I could conjure some water for you.”
This is a reference to Blizzard’s other wildly successful game World of Warcraft, where Mages are stuck with the lame task of conjuring up water for their teammates.
Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk – The Three Stooges Reference
- During Act 1, you’ll travel to the Fields of Misery, then the Festering Woods on the quest “The Broken Blade.”
- Eventually, you’ll need to enter a dungeon called the Drowned Temple. Inside, you’ll have to battle Ezek the Prohphet, then a group of particularly funny and familiar skeletons.
- After defeating Ezek, you’ll meet three skeleton guardians; Brother Larel, Brother Karel, and Brother Moek. Sounds familiar?
- The three are a silly homage to Larry, Curly, and Moe — better known as The Three Stooges.
- Not convinced? Killing all three tough enemies in one blow will unlock the “Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck” achievement, which is a monosyllabic noise famously uttered by Curly.
- In Diablo 1, Wirt was a peg-legged gambler that would sell you a random item, but only after paying him 50 Gold to even view the item. Sometimes it was rare, sometimes it was junk, but he was a memorable character in the town of Tristram.
- After returning to Tristram while searching for Deckard Cain, you can find Wirt’s body where he’s sadly been murdered by the dark forces that burned the town. Searching his body will produce lots of gold, as well as his leg.
- What’s so special about Wirt’s leg? After completing Diablo 2, players can use the leg to open a portal to the Secret Cow Level in Act 1.
- Is there a cow level in Diablo 3? Why ask? Because clever internet detectives have uncovered a secret item — Wirt’s Cowbell with the corresponding achievement, Wirt’s Case Scenario.
- Where can you find Wirt’s Cowbell? Our guess is during Act 4, you must face off against the ghosts of the past; including the ghosts of characters that died in Diablo 2. Wirt might be one of the ghosts summoned at the Silver Spire Level 2, and destroying him might produce the cowbell.