Posted on September 18, 2013, Kevin Thielenhaus GTA 5: How to Lose the Cops Effectively
Having problems escaping the cops in Grand Theft Auto 5? Check out some of our methods below to help make your time in San Andreas prison-free.
Some of these tips will be obvious to veterans of the GTA series, but the latest in the series offers a few new twists to the old formula. Keep scrolling to see, and drop a comment to let us know how lower your wanted level.
Dig into the criminal lifestyle with Game Front’s Grand Theft Auto 5 video walkthrough, with tips and tricks for completing every heist. For even more guides like this, check out our list of GTA 5 cheats to find every extra and Easter egg.
How to Lose the Cops Effectively
Work-in-Progress – Let us know how you escape the cops in the comments.
Method #1: Going for a Drive
- The most basic way to lose a wanted level is to drive into any Mod Shop and change the color of your car.
- If the police don’t see you drive into the building, you’ll instantly lose the current wanted level.
- Police will call in the make of your vehicle first. Switching vehicles will help you lose line of sight.
Method #2: Finish the Job
- Unlike previous GTA games, completing a mission will instantly clear your accumulated wanted level.
Method #3: Truck Trailer Ditch
- Press [Right D-Pad] to detach a truck’s trailer while driving.
- A perfect, and little-known, method for blocking off alleyways or tight streets during a chase.
Method #4: Avoiding Helicopters
- At Level 3 or higher, Police Helicopters will arrive. Avoiding choppers will make escape much easier.
- Underground tunnels and subways, underpasses, or bridges will help break line-of-sight with choppers.
- Otherwise, use a Rocket Launcher to shoot the chopper down before making your escape in a fast car.
Method #5: Go Big
- Want to make a clean escape? Hop onto a helicopter or jet in the Los Santos airport. Your wanted level will jump up, but the cops can’t follow an airplane.
More Grand Theft Auto 5 achievement guides, easter eggs, and extras.
GTA 5: Complete Cheat Codes List
GTA 5: All Collectible Locations – Map (GRAPHIC)
GTA 5: Stunt Jumps Locations [Map]
GTA 5: Spaceship Parts Locations [Map]
GTA 5: Nuclear Waste Locations [Map]
GTA 5: Letter Scraps Locations [Map]
GTA 5: Secret Ghost Easter Egg
GTA 5: How to Earn Infinite Money [Exploit]
GTA 5: How to Turn Michael into Breaking Bad’s Walter White
GTA 5: Strangers & Freaks Locations
GTA 5: Bigfoot Sighting Easter Egg
GTA 5: Complete Mission List
GTA 5: How to Unlock the Alien Car – 50 Spaceship Parts Reward [Video]
GTA 5: Skydive Instantly With This Cheat Code [Video]
GTA 5: How to Unlock More Haircuts
GTA 5: Easter Eggs, References & Secrets
GTA 5: UV Light Secret Map Message Easter Egg
GTA 5: Alien Encased in Ice Easter Egg
GTA 5: Crashed UFO Easter Egg Location Guide
GTA 5: How to Install to Xbox 360 with No Lag
GTA 5: How to Make Easy Money
GTA 5: San Andreas Sightseer Achievement Guide