Yes, marriage is in Skyrim. Yes, you can marry someone of the same gender. Anyone (or thing) you could possibly want to marry is available for proposal. That is, if you’re willing to find them. Below you’ll find our guide to marriage; how to get married, and which NPCs can be proposed to.
For more information on Skyrim, that involves a lot more killing, check out our text and video walkthrough. If you’re looking for marriage info for the new Dawnguard DLC, check out: how to turn your spouse into a vampire, and more, right here.
There’s a lot more to Game Front’s Skyrim coverage; Find PC item codes, easter eggs, unlock a skeleton horse, and much, much more. Get lists of all the Elder Scrolls extras on Game Front with our Skyrim cheats, Dawnguard cheats, and Hearthfire cheats.
NPCs Available for Marriage
Marriage Starter’s Guide
- UPDATE: Addfac ###### 1 – ON PC VERSIONS OF SKYRIM – Press the tilde (`) key to bring down the command console, and type in the code “addfac 19809 1″ (Not including the apostrophes.) with the desired NPC selected, and you’ll be able to marry them. No fuss! They’ll be added to your marriage faction.
- To get married, you’ll first need the Amulet of Mara. While wearing this jewelry, you will unlock new dialogue options with certain NPCs.
- Buy the amulet from Maramal, sold for 200 coins. Maramal can be found in Riften, either in the Temple of Mara or in the Bee and Barb.
- The amulet can also be found in a chest at the beginning of Bleak Falls Barrow — a main quest.
- To get married, you must first speak with an NPC and talk to them about marriage. They might accept, or require a small quest to be completed. If your Speech skill is high, you can attempt to raise their disposition to you, or bribe them.
- If they do accept, speak to Maramal at the Temple of Mara to plan the wedding.
- A married NPC will move into whatever house you own and provide several benefits.
- Your spouse will cook one meal a day, which raises your health and stamina. Your spouse will also follow you as a companion if requested, defending you or attacking enemies on your orders. They will also carry some of your equipment for you.
- Spouses will sometimes give you gifts.