UK Game Market Up 42% In Six Months

Please wait...

This article was written on an older version of FileFront / GameFront

Formatting may be lacking as a result. If this article is un-readable please report it so that we may fix it.


Published by GameFront.com 11 years ago , last updated 2 months ago

Posted on July 6, 2007, William UK Game Market Up 42% In Six Months

ukmap.gif

Recent data has shown that the UK game market has soared 42% during the first 6 months of 2007. This can definitely be attributed to the next-generation console war. I hate calling it a war, but in ways it really is. I still love all 3 systems myself. The Xbox 360 led in software sales, while Nintendo dominated the hand-held market. Data from the source follows the break.


From Next-Gen: During the first 26 weeks of 2007 the UK market generated revenues of £1.02 billion from combined software, hardware and accessory sales, up from £718 million for the same period last year.Software sales accounted for £519 million while hardware sales generated £405 million.

Xbox 360 software sales accounted for the majority of game sales, generating £101 million pounds. Nintendo platform titles accounted for £137 million worth of games sales, £91 million for DS and £46 million for Wii, while PS3 titles brought in £37 million since the system launched in March.

Console hardware revenues reached £405 million. Of that figure, £304 million is attributable to sales of home consoles, while £101 million was generated by sales of handhelds.

Of the home console market, Sony accumulated a 47 percent share, Nintendo 30 percent and Microsoft 22 percent.

Nintendo took a 64 percent share of the £101 million handheld market while Sony commanded the remaining 36 percent.

Console accessory sales also witnessed impressive growth, climbing 74 percent to £98 million compared to £57 million the previous year.

“We are thrilled to see the industry thriving and not only growing but soaring. With so many excellent titles now available for all ages, appealing to a wide audience the industry is stronger than ever. The speed of the growth of the games industry is testament to the creativity, technology and diversity which is employed by the modern games business,” said Paul Jackson, Director General of ELSPA.

“With the new generation consoles and new handhelds there are some amazing titles out there and consumers are continuing to enjoy them. There are new and exciting games available and more and more family orientated and mentally stimulating titles to grasp and hold the interest of all ages,” he added.

Comments on this Article

There are no comments yet. Be the first!