This article was written on an older version of FileFront / GameFront
Formatting may be lacking as a result. If this article is un-readable please report it so that we may fix it.
Published by GameFront.com 5 years ago , last updated 2 months ago
Posted on January 21, 2014, Mike Sharkey Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade = Space Marine in Planetside 2
Back when there was still a THQ, the Warhammer 40,000 MMORPG, Dark Millennium, looked promising. Then THQ ran out of money, couldn’t find an investor for the MMORPG, and tried to turn Dark Millennium into an action game before going belly up.
Acquired by Behaviour Interactive (Naughty Bear) last summer, Dark Millennium has been transformed into Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade. The folks at MMORPG got a hands-on look at Eternal Crusade, which is in pre-alpha, and described it as a mix of Space Marine’s shooter-and-melee combat and Planetside 2′s scale.
“For 40K fans, if you had played THQ’s Space Marine and entered into the PvP multiplayer you could easily relate to this early build,” MMORPG stated.
Here are a few more tasty tidbits they picked up about Eternal Crusade:
- Eldar, Space Marines, Chaos, and Orks are the factions Behaviour is currently working on, and they plan on adding others from the W40K universe.
- There are PvE quests built in, but Eternal Crusade is primarily PvP. Thousands of players will fight over objectives, resources, and territory in a persistent world.
- Perspective is third-person with the ability to zoom over the shoulder when using ranged weapons.
- There are blocking and cover mechanics.
- The planet the demo took place in was described as “huge.”
As a fan of Space Marine and Planetside 2, I’m definitely intrigued. That mashup, with thousands of players from various W40K races doing battle, sounds like a Warhammer 40K fan’s dream.
We’ve still got a long way to go on Eternal Crusade, as it’s not expected to ship until late 2015 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. Hopefully we’ll learn more at this year’s E3.
There are no comments yet. Be the first!