Posted on April 16, 2008, Shawn Sines Windows XP SP3 RTM Details Confirmed
The information on the upcoming Windows XP service pack 3 was broken by Tech ARP. Now they have announced the confirmed features and Released To Manufacturing dates for XP SP3.
Unfortunately, it’s been confirmed that Windows XP Media Center Edition and Windows XP Tablet Edition will not be available in an integrated release. PC gamers running either of these versions of the OS will only be able to update via Windows Update. No CD for you.
Here are the release notes:
- Windows XP Service Pack 3 will contain hotfixes and updates released since Windows XP SP2. It will also include an expanded set of product keys for Windows XP Professional that were originally introduced in Windows XP SP2c.
- Microsoft clarified that there will not be any integrated SP3 release for Windows XP Media Center Edition or Windows XP Tablet Edition. That means you won’t be able to buy or obtain a complete Windows XP Media Center Edition / Tablet Edition SP3 CD. In addition, users of Windows XP Media Center Edition or Windows XP Tablet Edition will only be able to update to Service Pack 3 through Windows Update.
- All languages will now be released in two waves. Earlier, Microsoft said that languages support for Windows XP Service Pack 3 will be released in three waves. What was previously identified as wave 2 and 3 have now been combined into a single wave 2.
- Microsoft has also delayed RTM for Windows XP Service Pack 3 to provide sufficient time to incorporate feedback from the beta testers. (In other words, they can’t make their original deadline!)
- Windows XP SP3 will be an optional supplement for OEMs.
- Existing end item part numbers will continue to be used for Windows XP SP3. New end item part numbers are not being created for Windows XP SP3.
For the RTM dates for your global region, visit Tech ARP.