Posted on November 28, 2007, Chris XBLA Wednesday 11/28: Asteroids Deluxe
Nothing to get particularly excited about this week as Atari Asteroids/Asteroids Deluxe are this week’s joint release at 400 Microsoft Points. Unless you’re looking for some nostalgia or to see where the roots of the dual stick shooter came from, chances are you won’t be interested in Asteroids.
This game includes both the original 1979 Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe, which was released a year later and included shields and a new type of enemy.
From the game’s Xbox.com page:
Two of the all-time classic arcade games come to Xbox LIVE® Arcade in Asteroids©, Asteroids Deluxe©, a combo of intense action where players must save earth from a deadly bombardment of asteroids. The full historic game is available in its original form, along with a completely re-stylized version featuring evolved graphics.
- The original Asteroids: Released in 1979 by Atari, the simple black and white game was a masterpiece of vector graphics game design, and had millions of arcadegoers entranced by its simple mechanic of controlling a spaceship firing at and destroying asteroids.
- The release of Asteroids Deluxe: The sequel to the original, released in 1980, Asteroids Deluxe featured the same classic gameplay but added a new shield feature and dangerous satellite enemies. Play both the original and its sequel in all of its classic old-school style.
- Next-gen evolution: But now, both games have evolved. Support is provided for both 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios, including HDTV. Full-screen anti-aliasing and Dolby Digital surround sound complete the gaming experience.
- Throttle Monkey mode: Both game versions come with a high-speed version known as Throttle Monkey. Can you survive?
- Achievements and leaderboards: Twelve new achievements for you to earn, and new leaderboards to conquer. Show your friends who is the master at Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe.