Weekly Poll Results - What kind of Files do you prefer on HL2Files? ZIP, RAR or

What kind of Files do you prefer on HL2Files? ZIP, RAR or EXE?

ZIP or RAR. I prefer compressed files so I can easily extract them anywhere. 44.7% (200)
EXE Files, because I fancy the automated and easy installations. 27.5% (123)
I honestly don't mind as I use all of them for almost everythiong. 24.6% (110)
Only ZIP. RAR requires additional software which I prefer not to install. 3.1% (14)
Start: 02-24-2009 05:32
Last: 03-02-2009 02:47

#1 - Posted by: keroba (Member) on 02-24-2009 at 09:38

rar of course, it allows very good compression and works fast. only 7zip is superior.

#2 - Posted by: Skyrider (Staff) on 02-24-2009 at 10:18

Quite a few exe files has already compressed file in them. I might think of creating installation files for TF2 custom files so you can install them easier. With including screenshots (in the setup) to show what exactly you are installing and how it looks.

#3 - Posted by: reaper933 (Member) on 02-24-2009 at 22:14

I find the small size difference between most rar/zip and exe files not worth it. It's not like I can't install a compressed file, I would just rather download an extra few megabytes and save myself of screwing around in folders. However I don't mind exe's compressed into rar/zip files, but again, I never see a reasonable difference in size between the two.

#4 - Posted by: keroba (Member) on 02-25-2009 at 11:33

@reape933: Is just compressed a gcf once in rar, once in zip, both at maximum compression. The zip was 22% bigger. You call a quarter not reasonable in size? Think of a 2 gigabyte large mod. Just think about it.

#5 - Posted by: 211476 (Member) on 02-26-2009 at 15:16

I just hate when mods are in EXE

#6 - Posted by: Nerdsturm (Member) on 02-27-2009 at 18:13

ZIP or RAR just cause they're a slightly smaller download and more secure.