Weekly Poll Results - Greatest Server Custom Map

Titleist 0,0% (0)
Start: 10-24-2008 06:51
Last: 10-31-2008 04:22

#1 - Posted by: STORMobc (Member) on 10-24-2008 at 07:17

Gunn-assault and Town-assault

#2 - Posted by: RailwayChildrenBobbie (Member) on 10-24-2008 at 07:24

I've picked "other" because I love "Bombed Village" by Top Tiger the most. Other great maps not on the list and should be are : St. Renan, Dorf, Snowy Village, Dorf, Tranquility, Avignon, Rockbound, BA_Stalingrad, Renverse, Tomb, Routenord, Vervins, Weihnachtsmarkt, Winterschlaf, The Lost Village and any one of Bobzilla's maps plus loads more that I can't think of right now. Nice overall list though - most of them are all great maps.

#3 - Posted by: Herr_klugscheisser (Member) on 10-24-2008 at 07:36

What? No Landhaus? Played many of them for many years on the LAN at work ... now we have broadband. ;)

#4 - Posted by: PKM (Staff) on 10-24-2008 at 07:44

trust me there are a ton of maps i didn't include, simply for the room the poll allows and the fact i'm sure everyone doesn't want the poll to take up the whole front page which is why ''other'' was included . what i went with are the maps i see again and again over the years after hitting 'browse servers' .

#5 - Posted by: Bojo (Member) on 10-24-2008 at 14:36

Stalingrad 3 is an epic map.

#6 - Posted by: RailwayChildrenBobbie (Member) on 10-24-2008 at 16:37

I know what you mean ,PKM. It would be impossible to add more and wasn't a criticism of any kind, but rather how many good maps are out there. As a poll it is a great idea - but, perhaps it could have been split further into tdm, obj, tow gametypes etc (just an idea)

#7 - Posted by: PKM (Staff) on 10-24-2008 at 18:07

good idea but sadly we're limited to a single poll per week, no splitting . and in no way did i take your comments as criticism .

#8 - maps - Posted by: bobzilla (Member) on 10-24-2008 at 22:47

Wow..this is list of mostly maps you would not want to play ....for reasons either crappy spawning, too laggy, too big, too small, or buggy. I could point out many failures in many of these maps..but that's another story. Wanna know what maps are good..easy ..just run up your game, the gamelist and see what maps are running day in and day out..I could name a dozen or more that ARE being played today even with only a pitiful amount of servers running customs today compared to 2 years ago. Thanks RailwayChildrenBobbie for the kudos on bobzilla's maps.. Many of these maps are very well made (eye candy) but fail in play quality. Some on this list play quite well, Fort Wreck, Doom, and Hitlers farm. These also make excellent Freezetag maps, dm or tdm play. btw..I checked the in-game server list and only one map is running that is in your list is...St. Lo.

#9 - Posted by: Scud_UK (Member) on 10-25-2008 at 02:03

I voted Other, even though I enjoy St. Lo. My favourite is split between Grabstatte Bombed Village, as posted by RailwayChildrenBobbie. I also think St. Renan is a excellent map too.

#10 - Posted by: BBC_Magna_Carta (Member) on 10-25-2008 at 14:12

There's a ton of us that want to play custom maps but servers never run them. The CMC server has loads of custom maps loaded but everytime we run them we never get any players. How about I set the server up to run the favourite custom maps and this site directs people there? We need to do something to revive the community. I know there are still many peple who would join a server to play custom maps but it's hard to establish a loyal following to a server nowadays to make running custom maps the norm. Any ideas guys? We have a paid for, permanent SH server just ready and waiting for a map selection and some loyal customers. - If we don't start getting regular visitors soon we'll probably change the server to COD4 and another SH server prepared to run custom maps will die.

#11 - berlin - Posted by: bobzilla (Member) on 10-25-2008 at 14:19

BTW..Berlin is NOT a custom map! It is a Medal of Honor STOCK map. bobzilla

#12 - Posted by: PKM (Staff) on 10-25-2008 at 14:45

Posted by: bobzilla (Member) on 10-25-2008 at 14:19 BTW..Berlin is NOT a custom map! It is a Medal of Honor STOCK map.

it is a custom map by alex rutzen from back around 2004 . if you'd like, i would be more than happy to send you a link to the download page . or feel free to search for it over at tmmworld.com .

#13 - Posted by: BBC_Magna_Carta (Member) on 10-25-2008 at 16:37

Guys, come on..... I have offered a server to play custom maps and what response do I get? From a respected (and probably the best) map builder and an admin at this site. Do I get a response re revivng the custom map community? No. The following posts are arguring about what is and what isn't a custom map! Do we want a custom map server or not? All the good work done by Bobzilla on maps and PKM on skins is worthless if the game dies. Let's have a sensible debate about a custom server please. If there is no longer a need for one then we will go to COD4 but I am happy to try to run a custom map server for a while to see if people use it. Can we please have some responses that address the issue and don't just try to point score?

#14 - Posted by: PKM (Staff) on 10-25-2008 at 16:40

magna, i've already replied and in fact, had just gotten done another reply when i stopped in here .

#15 - customs - Posted by: bobzilla (Member) on 10-25-2008 at 17:03

pkm..Well dude...not many KNOW ABOUT that custom map..as the name BERLIN obviously most will know as the STOCK MAP. I never heard of seen of Alex's Berlin map..and I would put your job on the line and say the votes your getting are for the one KNOWN most..STOCK BERLIN. your turn. Magna..In over 4 years I have spent $$$ running custom maps on mine, other clans servers..and even tried promoting them to other clans..I suceeeded to a few clans that still run customs..(CMC, OFC, Flatliners, LML, OutKasts, and a few others.) I have found in general..AN ACTIVE CLAN MEMBERSHIP that runs and promotes customs map play on their servers..is the only way they get played. Most noobs don't know how to load a custom map, or visit the host websites to download. It is because of this lack of play for customs on MOHAA..that I'm moving on to cod4 mapping. (Custom maps are autodownloading). bobzilla

#16 - Posted by: PKM (Staff) on 10-25-2008 at 17:27

would you like the link or not ?

#17 - Posted by: bobzilla (Member) on 10-25-2008 at 20:15

sure, if it runs in COD4..otherwise keep it!

#18 - Posted by: RailwayChildrenBobbie (Member) on 10-25-2008 at 21:50

Bobzilla, the map PKM refers to is called ar_berlin_v1 and is quite old now (so you perhaps have already played on it) and is a good map, for its age - I still enjoy playing on it. I think the problem with servers running custom maps lies with them usually having no forewarning to players what custom map(s) are running on it and then suddenly changing from stock. Usually when you get kicked you put it down to ping or something and just join another server. So that problem could be soon sorted - with better warning. Players who do know then could go and download the map from someplace (provided they can find it) Which is then the second problem, Just an idea - On the SoFfiles site the admins create mappacks for the community to download and then run them all on their own server. Players get a taste then of what maps they like. Could not something be done on a similar note here - with input from the community of what maps players would like to see included? It may get the custom maps played more frequently if it came from mohfiles direct. and Magna Carta...this would help your server because custom map servers we do need. I'd join your server, however, I think you're in the States and I'm in the UK (sadly) so not great for ping really!

#19 - Posted by: bobzilla (Member) on 10-26-2008 at 00:09

I know Ar_berlin....and that is how should have been listed by him. I used to send forum messages to many clans with a complete list of my maps with pictures..and that did worked many times..showing members where to easily dl the maps. I have over 1100+ mohaa maps in my collection and think your idea of creating a master map paks of the best maps would help many clans getting and keeping custom maps going. mohfiles would be the natural and best place to host these map paks..but alas there are only a pitiful amount of custom maps even listed here in mohfiles. I think the reason there is because, they do not add maps, they wait till a mapper uploads. BTW..Magna is a close neighbor, living in U.K. also he does!

#20 - Posted by: Herr_klugscheisser (Member) on 10-26-2008 at 17:19

Wow, I'm jealous Bob .... I lost hundreds of maps in a HD failure a few years back. Sadly, like you mentioned, most of them cannot be found anymore because the websites are long gone. A maps size is dependent on total number of players you expect in the map. I used to like small maps for 4 to 5 people to play on a LAN at work. Pvt. Ballo used to make nice small DM maps .... I used to call them shoebox maps.

#21 - Posted by: bobzilla (Member) on 10-26-2008 at 21:40

Pvt Ballo was the first one to make highly playable maps in mohaa. I used to play with him and JailFire for hours and finally got Ballo to give me pointers to start mapping. His maps were all great playing maps..and I have a special folder holding all these gems. thanks for the rememberance and I'm sure Pvt. Ballo would also give thanks. bobzilla

#22 - Posted by: RailwayChildrenBobbie (Member) on 10-27-2008 at 06:00

Glad you think the mappack idea is a good one, Bobzilla. Something could be done, I'm sure, I've just checked to see if St Lo, St. Renan, Bombed Village and AR_Berlin are on this site and they aren't. Only picked seven maps at random, the other three were though, but that still leaves four popular maps that a player needs to get elsewhere. Perhaps one of the admins will look into getting more maps on here. Thanks for correcting me about Magna Carta's server, I didn't know that.

#23 - Posted by: PKM (Staff) on 10-27-2008 at 06:14

it is understood that this is a member's website, correct ? admin is simply here to make sure the rules are followed . this website is driven solely by the members . for that matter, if all the rules were followed by everyone, we (admin) wouldn't even be needed .

#24 - Custom map - Posted by: bulldozerecske (Member) on 10-27-2008 at 09:50

My favoruite custom map is teamzero in mohaa, currently :)

#25 - Posted by: bobzilla (Member) on 10-27-2008 at 14:17

you missed the POINT again!

#26 - Posted by: BBC_Magna_Carta (Member) on 10-27-2008 at 15:49

OK. All good points and well made. I'm glad we've started some interest in a custom map server. I'll have a go when I get some time at the weekend setting up some custom map cfgs so we can run them on the CMC server and hopefully have a link here to the server and a list of the maps being run. I'll start with just a selection of maps, chosen at random and see how we go. The main thing is advertising so people know what maps to get and where to come. This site is prerfect for that. If I have a link here in a prominabt place perhaps we'll be able to showcase new maps and old favourites. We'll see. For info, the CMC server is an east coast US server. I'm in the UK and my pings aren't too much higher then the average US player. - A little higher maybe, but I tend not to let it worry me. I can certainly play well and hold my own despite any ping difference on the east coast. It begins to suck a little on west coast servers. Let me get some some cfg files sorted out and loaded and then try to get a link up at this site and post some map packs for download. Some of the custom maps are just too good to NOT play. - But, I warn you, initial selection will be random quality as I don't have time to hunt out all the quality ones. Now...............if someone would like to help?????? Bobby, how about you comeover to CMCdepot and help out compiling map packs??

#27 - Posted by: RailwayChildrenBobbie (Member) on 10-28-2008 at 09:19

I'm not quite sure I follow what you're saying PKM? Are not admins' also members? If a few members compiled a mappack and posted it on here would it be accepted as an official mohfiles mappack (similar to the soffiles mappacks) with or without any admin support? I'm sure, and I think you'll agree, it would get more downloads that way. Magna - I've tried to register on your forum, I've emailed you about it.

#28 - Posted by: PKM (Staff) on 10-28-2008 at 11:26

as stated admins don't submit the mods, the members/developers do, we only do exactly what our title says....we administrate . nothing more nothing less . as for this site officially backing any specific mod, may be offered up but personally i would be against such a move as it would open a huge can of worms .

#29 - worms - Posted by: bobzilla (Member) on 10-28-2008 at 14:01

thats pretty funny...Opening a huge can of worms... we..the users/PALYERS..who spend our own money to offer websites, servers..and such to the general MOHAA public and freely collect, publish and disseminate every MOHAA map that can be found are NOT OPENING UP ANY WORMS! at lease we have not found any in the last 4 years! Magna..I be helping in any way possible..my map collection is now complete and available to anyone at www.thebobzilla.info cheers

#30 - Posted by: PKM (Staff) on 10-28-2008 at 19:07